“Sunday carvery - not for coeliacs”

Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Hykeham
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Sunday carvery - not for coeliacs”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have eaten here with extended family several times over the past few years.The service is good, the staff are knowledgeable about the ingredients in the food. Last Sunday we went to the carvery. I am a coeliac- the staff understand this and were able to tell me that the gravy is gluten free, roast potatoes may be contaminated due to contaminated fat etc . However, I watched with dismay as the chef carving the meat then used the fork to pick up a non-gf stuffing ball and to pick up a yorkshire pudding, steadying it with his carving knife as he put it on a plate. He then stuck the fork into the turkey and carved away with the same knife. When I spoke to him about contamination, he seemed to understand what he had done, but offering to change to fresh implements to carve mine showed a lamentable lack of understanding on a deeper level. I then ordered me a gf plaice from the kitchen (which was ok) and the chef told me that the carrots and bacon and boiled potatoes were gf but nothing else.Fair enough. I was very ill the following morning, with typical glutening symptoms for me. As I had only eaten food prepared by myself that day,apart from the meal out, I can only assume some cross-contamination had occurred at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank caroline w
Bentley82, Head Chef at Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with your Sunday Lunch. You have correctly stated in your review that our Chefs are knowledgeable on all aligens and we take great pride on offering food to all guests with different dietary needs.
The meal you ordered and ate was prepared and served completely gluten free and the chef advised which vegetables would be suitable for you. I have taken your comments about the service of the meat and accompaniments and address this area.
We have many regular customers to our carvery and societies that dine with us, which require Gluten Free meals and have had excellent feedback and return again and again.
When you are next visiting Lincoln I would like to offer you, a complimentary meal with us and end you meal with our delicious homemade gluten free Chocolate Paradise.

A Gregory

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and l booked here for our Sapphire Wedding Anniversary (45 years). It was very last minute. The reception at the hotel on arrival was warm and welcoming they offered us home made flapjack which was delicious. Nothing was too much trouble. We were allocated a room alongside the busy A46(250). It was double glazed and hardly any noise was heard admittedly if you opened the window it could get noisy but not unbearable. The room was well appointed with nice white fluffy towels and dressing gowns. The air conditioning was efficient and quiet.

We had booked the afternoon tea and that was a real treat well worth the money and the staff were very attentive. We had two rounds of sandwiches each, 4 cakes and a large warm scone with James and cream each accompanied by fresh tea.

The pool and other facilities were also excellent and we'll presented. We decided to eat out at a place recommended to us.

Breakfast was another delightful experience well cooked with tasty bacon and Lincolnshire sausages.

There is no doubt small things that l could highlight to undermine the overall excellence of the stay but that would be unworthy. My congratulations to the staff and management who worked so hard to make our stay so enjoyable. This will be the first 5 star rating given by me.

We will be back for there are things we want to do in the area and this would make the ideal base.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Bentley82, Owner at Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
How kind .Thank you so much for your exceptional review .We feel extremely privileged to be the only hotel to gain 5 stars from you.
It is refreshing to hear how well the staff treated you and that you had such an enjoyable stay.
I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future .
Best wishes for your anniversary, I hope you have many more
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Me and my partner stayed here for 1 night. We loved the use of the pool and spa. Room was very clean but rather noisy as we were right next to the pool changing rooms which was a very unwelcome wake up call at 7am! Breakfast in the morning was very lovely and the choice was great. We would definitely stay here again but pay a little extra for a bigger room.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a bigger room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa E
Thank you for your recent review . I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and am very grateful for your comments. We take each review very seriously and note that you were woken up early by the early birds in the leisure club so sorry they disturbed you .
I hope that next time you stay with us you will remember to ask for a room the other side of the building.
We look forward to welcoming you back and next time perhaps you will take a refreshing treatment in the Spa .
Many thanks again
Heald Green Cheshire
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here several times and it just impresses me more and more. The receptionist , Sophie checked me in, professionally and with warmth and really was fantastic, the restaurant, called the Grand, is great, and again the staff, Charlotte and Carol were attentive and made sure you were enjoying your meal. The food, I had the seared tuna, is one of the best ever seared Tuna steaks I have EVER had, perfection. Luke was the chef, I was told, and everyone in the restaurant said how wonderful the food was cooked. The room was great, parking areas are huge and there is a Heath centre at the hotel too, I didn't try that !. Do try this wonderful hotel, you will be delighted,

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
WOW ! Is the only retort other than thank you so much for such a terrific review of us.
How gratifying to hear that you have stayed with us so many times and each time you have enjoyed all we have to offer . The team will be so grateful that you mention them .
Luke will be extremely impressed as he loves his job and it is so rewarding to have praise for something you try so hard to perfect.
You really must try the spa next time, especially as I see you stay with us on business there are so many lovely stress relieving treatments.
I hope in the future you will always feel this way about us and look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future.
Kindest regards
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel with my friend for the weekend and wasn't sure what to expect with me using an electric wheelchair, even though I had looked on the website and telephoned the hotel.

I wasn't disappointed perfect for my wheelchair access, room just right with walk in shower, spotlessly clean. Pool with hoist which was great meaning I could access the pool independently on my own. Hotel very spacious for me to get around in my electric wheelchair. Staff were extremely helpful and the restaurant food was lovely so nice decided to eat in the restaurant both nights. Spa also great for my wheelchair had my hair done whilst there staff so nice made me feel great.

I don't go away very often due to the hassle of access and rooms etc but the Bentley have got it so right with everything. I loved it there so much I going back next weekend great not too worry about access and the staff are very helpful. Great place to stay for me :-)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Crystal162
Bentley82, Owner at Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you so much for your very kind and complimentary review of your stay with us especially as you are a wheelchair user.
We as a team are all grateful for your comments and chef was delighted he could please you with his food, enough to eat with us on both your evenings.
I will let the Spa know how happy you were with them too.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Kindest regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Exceeded expectations, the staff were professional and helpful in all respects. The room was superb, all the fittings were in good condition, everything worked. Food was excellent, as was the service. Reception staff very helpful, check-in and out very quick and efficient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Bentley82, Owner at Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your generous review of the hotel and all the staff.
We all take note of each and every comment made and it certainly boosts our confidence when we read a report like yours .
I am so pleased it exceeded your expectations . Please visit us again very soon
Kindest Regards
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I'm afraid I came away from the family meal I had the other night quite disappointed. For £21.50 for two courses, I was expecting something fancy to be delivered, but instead it was of similar quality to a supermarket ready-meal. The Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and beef were all very poor, looking and tasting like they'd come out of the microwave. Sorry, but I really could have made something better at home, and I'm no chef. I wouldn't knock you if it was two meals for £10, but you're charging some high prices, so need to deliver a good meal, not canteen food. The wife's duck course was just as poor, with very little flavour. I could go on, but you get the idea.

On the bright side, your staff were friendly enough and did their best to accommodate some older members of our party. I don't have a bad word to say about them. It's all about the food.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LincolnGMan
Bentley82, Owner at Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your review . I can only apologise for your disappointment in your meal with us .
I was not only surprised but extremely sad as we are renowned for our good food . I shall certainly be taking this up with our head chef . I wish you had mentioned it at the time and we could have changed your main course for you.
I am so confident in our chefs work that I would like to offer you a free meal for your wife and yourself at a date convieniant to you. Please telephone the hotel and inform them of my offer and I am sure we will regain your confidence in us .
Sincerely
Washingborough Hall Country House Hotel
Holiday Inn Lincoln
Holiday Inn Lincoln
#9 of 14 in Lincoln

Been to Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!