“Brilliant Views at Secluded setting”

Tyn Rhos Country House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llanddeiniolen
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Views at Secluded setting”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Everything about this hotel smacks of class. Superb locally sourced food cooked to perfection and served by efficient and friendly.
Now that I have found it I will certainly try to get back as soon as I can.

1 Thank chasowen2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Hubby and I stayed in this lovely hotel after my zip world experience nearby (which was awesome!), we arrived at around 3pm hungry to find they do not have a lunchtime bar meal menu. We were, however, offered a sandwich which the chef would make fresh for us and this was a lovely touch as I know he was busy prepping the evenings most delightful food.

Each room is individual I believe, and some have an outside terrace overlooking the gorgeous garden. Our room was perfect, but unfortunately not much of a view (hey oh, you can't have it all ...) and everything you could possibly need for your stay was in the room or available downstairs.

For dinner, pre dinner drinks are taken in the conservatory and this gave you time to look at the menu and wine list at leisure. You are not rushed, advice is given and I have to say the service was probably the best we have had anywhere we have stayed. Everybody had just the right understated, personal, genuine manner.......Steve the bar man/waiter (and much more!) has a lovely knack of turning up just when you need something and has the magic ability to mind read!!

We hadn't decided to eat 2or 3 courses, but no problem, see how you feel, no pressure at all. Needless to say we ended up having 5 courses the food was that good. Mackerel with a warm tomato mayonnaise ...yum, surf and turf where we ate Leonard the lobster caught that morning and the most lovely piece of fillet ever. Pudding was a home made caramel biscuit ice cream OMG.......they should sell it!

Rates for the hotel for B&B ( breakfast was wonderful too) are staggeringly good value for money. Beautiful location, gardens, bedrooms fabulously furnished, great service, yummy food, wine list good value.

Glad we found this, we will be back for more...........thank you!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sammyE66
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

A last minute booking for myself, my fiance and our baby with another room for my mother. Looked lovely on the internet. The manageress was working on reception when we arrived and was polite, but brusque and made it VERY clear that she was unhappy about having a baby in the hotel - we were told several times that the baby wasn't allowed in the dining room, but we could sit outside or in the conservatory. As the weather was hot, we opted to sit outside and were seated just outside the open patio doors to the dining room, which seemed ridiculous as we were unable to sit one metre away in the dining room.

The rooms were very hot and when we asked for fans, we were told that they didn't have any and the rooms would cool down when the sun went down. Sunset was at about 10pm, so since our baby goes to sleep at about 7, she had to be put down in just a nappy as she was so hot. Our ensuite was an interior room and thus had no window and it had no extractor fan, so in trying to cool the baby in the shower, the bedroom became incredibly humid as there was no vent for the moisture. It was so exasperating and the hotel seemed unwilling to even try and do anything about it.

My mother's room was very small and in full sun all evening, and was so uncomfortably hot she had to sleep with the door to the corridor open all night which made her very uncomfortable as a single woman.

The meal we had in the evening was very nice, I wouldn't describe it as gourmet, but it was well cooked. I had sea bass, which was was cooked perfectly, but the upside down rhubarb cheesecake was disappointing, stewed rhubarb topped with a sweet cream and crushed gingernut biscuits. Not really cheesecake flavoured at all.

The breakfast was ok, but my mother had the eggs benedict and the hollandaise was appalling - basically tasting only of vinegar and was inedible.

We had booked for 3 nights, but after the uncomfortably hot night and the hotel's unwillingness to provide fans to make it bearable, we decided to leave. Immediately the manageress became surly and rude. I was amazed at how the facade of niceness fell away before our eyes and her true colours became apparent.

A terrible experience and how this establishment got five stars, I have no idea. No air conditioning, no extractor fan in the bathroom, no fans available in the heat and a rude and unhelpful manageress. The evening meal was nice, but certainly not five star quality (my partner is a chef) and the breakfast was very averagely cooked despite good quality ingredients. The decor of the hotel seemed to have been designed by several different people, none of whom consulted with the others. No fridges in the bedrooms, cheap and nasty tea and coffee in the bedrooms.

The only positives of our stay were the lovely waiting staff in the restaurant who really were delightful and the evening meal we had.

Basically a three star B&B with an ego problem that purports to be more than it is.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
20 Thank Sarah M
Laura M, Owner at Tyn Rhos Country House, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Your last minute reservation made on 21st July for arrival on the 22nd, during our mini heatwave for our last two rooms ( a Single room and a Standard Double room ) for 3 nights, confirmed by email to your Mother who made the booking. At the time of booking it was explained that these were our last rooms and that we do not allow small children into the dining room for evening dinner.

As we were in the middle of a rare and wonderful spell of hot weather - which most of our customers thoroughly enjoyed, eating ‘al fresco’ was a nightly event for many including yourselves (your choice) - you were offered a table in the conservatory as are all families with small children.

We are a 19 bedroom ( 37 Guests) privately owned Country House, all rooms individually designed and happily very different. Most Country Houses operating as letting bedrooms in Britain have been adapted from their original use ( Ty’n Rhos from a working farm ) and are not able for many reasons to incorporate many modern conveniences such as air conditioning - which incidentally has no bearing on our 5* Guest Accommodation Accreditation from Visit Wales. However from your review and your concerns over your baby, if air conditioning was a primary concern - then it is up-to you as an individual to ensure you find suitable accommodation that fits your requirements.

Every bathroom does have an extractor fan, in-room tea is Tetley or Twinning’s, in-room coffee is Nescafe, in-room chocolate Suchard - all respected brands here in the UK.
I’m sorry the Hollandaise was not to your liking, I can assure you it is made fresh every morning in the classical French manner of emulsifying egg yolks and vinegar over hot water and slowly adding melted butter, hence the vinegar flavour.

If being rude is pointing out to your Mother (you were not present) that your booking was for three nights, and having turned away other customers therefore losing revenue, then yes I hold my hands up. I have just booked accommodation for myself in October which requires full payment six weeks before arrival (quite normal). There will be no refund if I decide to leave two days early regardless of whether the weather is hot or too cold.

I do understand that coming from Australia you will be used to air conditioning, fridges in rooms (we do have a guest fridge downstairs) , but if you want that in Britain, in the main you need to book hotels which are purpose built and brand led such as Holiday Inn, Marriott, Radisson to name but a few (although I’m not sure how many of those you will find in North Wales).

I would like to mention your 10 month old baby girl, who got so much attention from both myself and all the staff here, due to her wonderful nature and beautiful smile, freely given to anyone at any time. Far from being unhappy with her presence (why would I - I personally took the booking from your mother), we made it very clear she was more than welcome. If she slept badly due to the heat she showed no signs of being uncomfortable both during your dinner or at breakfast the following morning. As for sleeping in just her nappy, I think that particular night we would all have been happy to sleep in as little as possible. I certainly had a cold shower when I finished work that evening.
Carryduff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

When we booked we were told the room had a king size bed-a little disappointing to find a 5* country house pushing two single beds together and it didn't do very much for sleep quality. Room was clean and comfortable but not near the 5* wow factor we would experienced in other places. Free wifi was a nice touch. Nice place for couples and adults but we felt a little uneasy about our young child.(People with children are to eat dinner away from other guests)At breakfast- which was lovely, can't stay that staff were unwelcoming to our child but you may find that other guests are very..... will let me use the example of the couple sitting near us who were rolling eyes and looking in disgust at a young child quietly sitting and watching a dvd player. Not the fault of the hotel but it's the sort of experience that makes for an uncomfortable meal.

Room Tip: Ask for a real double/ king sized bed not singles pushed together
2 Thank weekd09
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at Tyn Rhos for our first wedding anniversary. Upon arriving our only negative is the outside does by no means show what this hotel offers! We were warmly welcomed and show to our lovely room. Wifi everywhere around the hotel which was handy. At dinner we were treated to some fabulous tasty food, in fact my OH had the 5 courses both evenings!! On the second night they were very accommodating to somewhat fussy eating! The steak was superb.
As we thought breakfast was great too, not greasy like some cooked breakfasts. Staff are very helpful, hotel spotless, fail to see how anyone can fault this place.
We will definitely be visiting again, even just for a night away and a lovely meal as its only and hour and a half from home.. Bonus!!

1 Thank Faith C
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This little find was an absolute gem for our family. We booked it the day before having changed our itinerary as we were making our way through the Welsh countryside. We have traveled extensively and don't write many reviews but we felt this one was worth taking the time to do so. The setting of the country house is very peaceful and lovely. We were made to feel welcome right away and as we were traveling with our daughters and very young granddaughter they were very accommodating. We came in around the dinner hour and so we dined in house. The food quality and presentation were exceptional. Our rooms were tastefully decorated and luxurious. Breakfast was a delicious as our dinner the previous night. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone and we would definitely love to come back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Brenda J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Great country hotel, good location for visiting Mt Snowdon/Lllanberis and the surrounding area. Room was comfortable, parking plentiful.
As we were staying at the hotel we really wanted a leisurely dinner. The evening started perfectly with drinks and amuse bouche in the conservatory. We spent a half hour savouring the snacks and then made our way to our table. While the food was delicious, a great dinner out is achieved through good food, ambience and time to enjoy the occasion. Tyn Rhos excelled at the good food and ambience was very nice but the dinner was marred by lack of timing… Our starters arrived 10 minutes after we ordered which was fine as we spent a half hour in the conservatory. However, our starters were very quickly removed (before 2 of us were even finished!) and our mains placed in front of us. Completely overwhelmed at not having had time to enjoy our starters properly we struggled to contemplate eating our mains. We told the waitress it was not usual to serve mains so quickly to which she replied – that’s the chef’s preference! We waited about 15 minutes then started our mains – which were delicious though lukewarm by that point. When finished we asked the waitress to come back in 20-30 minutes for our dessert order so our mains could settle. As we dictated the time instead of the restaurant, desserts arrived at the perfect time and were very nice. Overall this is a nice restaurant in a great location with a lot of potential, they just need to sort out timing. Having dined in the restaurant the night before we expected a fantastic breakfast. It was better than most B&B breakfasts but the selection and quality didn’t quite compare to dinner. Overall I’d recommend this as a great stopover or for a weekend break – the room was great and the food very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aelliott21921
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanddeiniolen
Seiont Manor Hotel
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to Tyn Rhos Country House? Share your experiences!