“An Oasis in Centro”

Got a photo?
Add it.
El Palacio Chino
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I love this place. I'm not passing any judgments on how authentic this Chinese food may or may not be, but I do know that it's consistently well above the mark. I've probably eaten several dozen times here, and I've never come away disappointed. The location is just right, the atmosphere cheerful and comfortably, and the service outstanding. It's head and shoulders over most eateries in the Centro Historico.

1  Thank RedShoes_and_Bacon

Reviewed 26 April 2012

As a Chinese girl, I was ACHING to eat something that reminded me of home--especially after five months in San Miguel de Allende without eating good Chinese food. El Palacio Chino is not as good as at home, but it hit the spot, and the food is very tasty. I wish the fried rice had more ingredients in it, but the muscles with garlic and chili appetizer was really good, and I enjoyed the Chicken mushu lettuce wrap

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Absolutely a disaster in every way. Six of us ordered take out and returned to our house to enjoy chinese food. As each of us took a bite, we looked at each other, made the obligatory, "OMG THIS IS HORRIBLE" face and all decide to give our lunches to the street dogs, unfortunately, they would not eat it either. Better to go a block and a half up mesones to the two chinese guys who offer real chinese take-out.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I frequent this restaurant for their take out, consistantly good food and reasonable price, service is ok wish it could be better, one of the best chinese food in San Miguel.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

We ordered out on a rainy afernoon to the tune of 450 pesos and were appalled at the poor quality of the food. The brown rice was fried, for some reason, in rancid fat. The egg rolls also tasted somewhat rancid. The eggplant w garlic sauce was tolerable, but not spicy as expressly requested. The steamed pork dumplings were okay, but overcooked and we were afraid to add them to the evil-smelling broth. Chicken w vegetables was boring and greasy. Finally, we tossed the unfortunate fortune cookies, which were way below minimal standards. I am not a food snob, nor am I a regular contributor to Trip Advisor -- in fact, this is my first review. My sense of outrage prompts this report. By contrast, as a regular customer of the friendly folks at the large food cart on Mesones near the Plaza Civica, I can verify that there you will find tasty, fresh food for ONE-FIFTH the cost of this abomination of a "Chinese Palace". Oh, and I asked for a menu that never arrived, which saves me the trouble of wadding it up in dusgust and heaving it in the garbage with the brown rice and egg rolls.