“I wish I could give it TEN stars!”

Antigua Capilla Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 26 August 2012

It is rare indeed that a lodging provides not only what you expect and hope for, but even more! Antigua Capilla is such a place.

First of all, the place is gorgeous--the architecture and decoration are clearly a labor of love on the part of the owners/hosts, Antonieta and Francisco. It's also impeccably clean, not a speck of dust anywhere.

As to the hosts, they are extremely gracious and accommodating while at the same time valuing the privacy of their guests. For example, there is a large communal dining table for breakfasts (more about those later!) but they've made provision for people who'd rather dine privately. Any sort of reservation or request is immediately tended to, and the hosts have a great network of contacts and can hook you up with any tour you might care to take.

They've also gone out of their way to anticipate the needs of their guests. Rooms have iPod docks, Flat-Screen Apple TV with a wide selection of movies, and phone calls to the US are free.

The rooms themselves are stunning. Our room--the Mata Ortiz Room--was very large, beautifully decorated and featured a huge walk-in tiled shower.

Breakfasts are wonderful, and include yogurt, fresh fruit and an authentic Mexican dish each day (variations cheerfully accommodated). I can't say enough about the breakfasts. It's been a couple of months and I still miss them!

As far as location is concerned, visitors to San Miguel have basically two choices: the view from high up (meaning a walk to the center of town), or staying near the center of town. Antigua Capilla is for those who prefer the view and are willing to make the (10-15 minute) walk or take a cab ride (35 pesos) "downtown". I found the walk pleasant and the view more than worth it--and the inn has a lovely patio providing a stunning view of the town (breathtaking at night).

All in all, one of the best places I've ever stayed, and I give it my very highest recommendation.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Antigua Capilla Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 11 August 2012

After a lot of searching and investigation, we chose Antigua Capilla for our 5 night stay in San Miguel. We LOVED it so much, and if we ever go back to San Miguel, this is definitely where we will stay. The inn is impeccably clean, with incredible attention to detail. Upon our arrival, we were personally greeted by Antonieta, who came outside, stood at the top of the stairs and waved enthusiastically saying, "Hello Ann & Steve!! Welcome!" We not only felt welcome, we felt like we had arrived home. Our room was perfect - spotlessly clean with every appointment. Little details that meant so much, such as fluffy towels and plush bedding. Our daily breakfast was so good, with a touch of personalization to our tastes. The furnishings are authentic and Antonieta's taste for art and decor is unmatched! The courtyard was full of hummingbird feeders - an incredible delight to watch. A short walk to downtown, this inn has it all! Be sure to ask for recommendations of where to shop and dine - you will be sent to the best! And, utilize their recommendation for transportation to/from the airport. You'll be delighted. We were sorry we did not meet Francisco, as he was out of town, but prior to our visit we communicated with him via email. He was extremely helpful in helping us plan our trip. Thank you Antonieta and Francisco for providing us with a memorable, perfect trip to beautiful San Miguel!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann R
Reviewed 28 July 2012

A friend and i just spent 7 days/nights in San Miguel de Allende, MX at "Antigua Capilla" and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It's managed by a couple, Francisco and Antonieta. Francisco was wonderful in handling our pre-stay inquiries and lodging arrangements, and Antonieta was a most delightful and gracious hostess during our stay. This property is beautiful and enchanting beyond belief, to include inner courtyards, an ancient little chapel on the grounds, and a rooftop terrace view of the historic city center. The breakfasts each day were fantastic. Every possible detail/accomodation was considered and Antonieta was most helpful with tips on dining/shopping and arranging taxi and private tours to Guanajuato and surrounding towns.

I guarantee your stay there will be exquisite!

Room Tip: Consult with the owners for your room preference and view them on-line. No bad choices - all are gr...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Just come back from our stay of Antigua Capilla B&B. The property was built with very traditional arquitecture from the area and each room has its own theme (love it!!). The rooms were spotless and love that you can call from there to the US for free, that way I could stay in contact with my girls. The area where is located is just perfect, close to the principal plaza but far enough to avoid the commotion from the plaza so you can have a good night sleep. Breakfast was well served each morning and Antonieta was always available to answer any questions we might have. She actually arrange a tour for us and made sure we got the best guide (Miguel) to show us around. Will highly recommend it.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stayed at this B&B from 07/19 to 07/22 after extensive research. My wife and I have exceedingly high standards and this place definitely sets the bar high. Attentive and courteous service by Antonieta and Francisco (owners). This property was built from scratch three or some years ago and you can appreciate the detail both in the common areas as well as on each room (we chose Huichol). Delicious homemade breakfasts, nice in-room amenities, breathtaking views from rooftop terrace, impeccably clean. Don't worry about it being on a hill: any of the abundant taxis in San Miguel will take you there for usd$2. If you don't want to spend $300+ a night at the also beautiful Rosewood San Miguel Hotel, this is THE place for you. No regrets.

Room Tip: Overall the whole property is very very quiet, however, San MIguel de Allende is known for their yea...
1  Thank Tovarich1975
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I am the most particular person on the planet! We stayed here in July 2012. This B and B was recommended by my husband's boss. Let me tell you this B an B was one of the best places I have ever stayed in.

The hotel is impeccably cleaned and very fragrant. Antonieta and her staff work very hard to make sure they keep their property to an extremely high standard of clean.
Antonieta and Francisco are extremely warm and friendly. Every morning there was an authentic Mexican breakfast prepared for us which was just amazing. I liked the fact that they did not pander to a tourist pallet and stuck to real Mexican menu.

Antonieta went out of our way to spend time with us each morning. She always asked about our daily plans and offered her advice and assistance to make sure we had the best day. She was real and genuine. When she heard that I had searched the shops for hours looking for a water jug similar to the one that they use in our room and couldn't find it, she offered me one of her at a really low cost. That was so nice of her. I have had since had some many compliments about the water jug.

The view from the top of the B and B are amazing by day and by night.

Like the other guests that have written reviews, I would warn you that you must wear comfortable walking shoes. The cobbled streets do wear on your feet. We chose to walk into town and then take a cab back each night. The cab was only $3 US dollars each way, that is cheaper than bus fare so we really didn't mind at all!

I was really happy that our first trip to Mexico was one of the best trips I have ever had and I have been to many different countries. I highly recommend this B and B.

3  Thank angel75
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This gorgeous B&B, nestled on the hillside overlooking the city is a real gem. The owners and hosts are incredibly accessible, knowledgable and warm. Their taste level is through the roof!

If there is a downside, it would be the walking. This is not in a location that people who have trouble walking should stay at. On the other hand, those without walking issues will find the views from the rooftop patios breathtaking and the distance from city center noises just right.

If you stay here, eat everything offered. OMG, what delicious food we had! The homemade granola was so good I begged for a doggy bag. And, I'm not a granola type.

Loved it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Antigua Capilla Bed & Breakfast. It pleases us to know that you loved your time here.

For those wondering where we are, we’re about a 10 minute leisurely walk to the town square.
A great alternative to walking are the very inexpensive, safe and plentiful taxis. Flag one down anywhere in San Miguel or call them to pick you up at the B&B, and you’ll be taken to your destination in no time.

See you again on your next trip!

Antonieta and Francisco