“Great stay!”

Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada
New York City, New York
“Great stay!”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

My husband and I stayed there for two nights and we loved it. It is divided into a few "houses," so you have to walk to get from the front desk to your house. Or, they also have like golf carts that cant take you to your room. Ours was across the street from the main building. The staff was very professional and attentive. Ricardo, and everyone, was attentive and helpful. Our original room was facing the street, and since I am a light sleeper, we moved to another room, which was just as nice, clean, and cozy.
The location couldn't be better. It is located a few blocks away from everything.
We had breakfast there one morning and it was good.
For our first trip to San Miguel, this was the best place we could have stayed in, and we would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geniegirl1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

Check in was at a comfortable desk seated in chairs. The concierge Marisol Ruiz Luna walked us to our room and gave us a quick tour. The hotel is a combination of old mansions in the historic part of San Miguel ,two blocks from the center of town. We requested to be met at the Leon Airport with a driver who was waiting for us upon arrival. The 1.5 hour drive was supplemented with cold bottled water and a large late model sedan. Our suite was over the top beautiful with a roof top terrace over looking the church which is lit up and dramatic at night. The pictures don't do justice to the large bathroom and copper tub.Fresh flowers were always intwined in our towels at the evening turndown .
The location couldn't be more perfect for hopping out the door and walking around the historic part of San Miguel.
Marisol recommended a fabulous cooking class with the hotel chef which included a market tour to purchase the food we cooked. After cooking you eat your meal along with a cold beer and the recipe's are printed out for you to take home.
If your looking for a true luxury cultural experience this is the right place to stay. On the other hand,if you are wanting to be around other stuffy Norte Americanos head over to the Rosewood.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I had the pleasure to stay in the hotel for a company meeting. Fantastic and very charming place with outstanding friendly people. Good food, nice amanities, Beautiful room with fireplace and little private tearrace as well with fireplace. The only thing missing is a gym which I think that should be included in the price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank elaleman1
mlbourgeois
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Very impressive! Incredible privat courtyards with room! Fireplace in room. Well decorated rooms and superior staff! Extremely friendly and helpful. Great location, one block from central square. English tv channels

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Do not book this hotel if for any reason you might need to cancel.
My husband and I had booked a 5 night stay, but had to cancel due to a family emergency. We called within the cancellation period and was told we would be credited the amount of our stay. It has now been 5 weeks and we still do not have this resolved. We were excited about staying in this hotel, but after their extreme lack of customer service will now go to The Rosewood.
I have read negative reviews about the Sierra Nevada, but didn't listen. I have now learned a valuable lesson!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cricket728
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 February 2013

To preface this review: I sent my comments to the management of the hotel and they replied with an apology and an adjustment to my bill. That was the right thing to do but it still did not compensate for a deeply disappointing 3 days in San Miguel because of the actions of the hotel.

I was in San Miguel de Allende at the Casa de Sierra Nevada from Jan. 17-20, 2013. I wanted to give you feedback on my stay there because I have some real concerns about the customer service function and how it affected my stay, which was considerable. First are the pluses:

The hotel is beautiful, my room was upgraded at the time of booking – through Luxury Link – and it was very beautiful as well.
The food in the restaurant is delicious – tasty and well-presented.
Although my free dinner was supposed to be in the dining room, it was so cold they bent the rules and let me have it in my warm room, not the very cold dining room where all the staff were wearing jackets.

Now the minuses:

1. In an email exchange before the trip I had specifically asked about signing up for the cooking classes at the hotel. Could it wait until I got there so I could plan out my days a little; I was told yes. The cooking classes had been the most anticipated activity of my trip. When I arrived at the hotel, I was told all the classes were full. The female customer services manager called around to other classes but they were full. I asked what other activities there were and she had nothing else to give me but the one-pager of suggested activities the hotel disseminated every day. I signed up for the 2-hour walking tour after having asked about a bus or van tour of the city and was told there were none. I myself found a brochure, hidden behind one of the office doors, which described a number of half-day and day tours. I brought this to the concierge's attention. We did manage to get a 5-hour private tour for Saturday, which was basically a waste of time mainly driving around to see the nicer homes, but that wasn’t the staff’s fault. What I do criticize them for is not knowing the content of the offerings of the one company they seem to deal with. Plus not knowing any other companies. Here’s a good example. I got a ride back to the Leon airport from Baijo (sp?) a company I heard about from another American not staying at the hotel. They offered all kinds of tours PLUS a ride back to the airport in a very nice van for $29. When I emailed the hotel beforehand and asked the best way to arrive at the hotel from the airport, I was given a choice of 3 ways – the cheapest, which I took, was a private driver in a beat-up car – for $122!

The night before I left I found in a brochure from the Orient-Express a write-up on San Miguel and the town’s classes in watercolors, jewelry making, Spanish classes, etc. I would have loved the class on jewelry making but the Casa de Sierra Nevada staff didn’t seem to know about it – I had asked them several times what activities there were for me to do. Another example – The Fabrica au Aurores. It was on the hotel list as a morning tour on Thursday, the day I came in. When I was discussing what I could do with the customer services manager she never mentioned one could go there any time, it was full of art galleries and a wonderful small restaurant. Somehow I later figured that out on my own and did go.

2. When I asked whether I could get a cab at the front of the hotel, the guest services person (Juan?) told me to go down the block, turn right and it would be easier to get one there, which is what I did. It was not a big deal – but I have never been in a five-star hotel where a staff member didn’t flag down a cab for a guest.

3. One morning I asked for a 7 a.m. wake-up call: it came at 7:15.

4. The morning of the 20th fireworks went off at 6 a.m. and continued intermittently. This was due to religious traditions. The staff should have warned the guests; this was quite the unwelcome surprise when on vacation.

5. In the news summary distributed at breakfast there was an ad for the hotel’s restaurant saying for the month of January a margarita would be half price and a free snack given with it. When I went to the bar, I was charged full price and there was no free snack, in fact I had ordered something small grilled, can’t remember what it was, and was charged for that as well. I was not aware of the ad until the second day. It happened again the second day even though it was brought to the waiter’s attention. He charged me half-price but no snack. My final bill was adjusted but only because I brought it to their attention, not because the waiter told the front desk to adjust it.

6. And I won’t go into detail about how long it took to get settled in the room, simply to say it was a very cold and windy day and it took several calls before I got a heater for the bathroom, dinner never worked out – because I was so cold they put me into a private dining room with the table still set for 8 (and to be kept that way) and instead of a heater heating up the room, there was an air conditioning unit! If they had tested it beforehand and thought to heat the room a few minutes before I got there, they would have known.

In summary, in my opinion, the Casa de Sierra Madre has a very inexperienced, seemingly untrained staff. They do not confirm so one must always confirm with them, which makes you feel like a nag. I did not interact with one staff member who had any initiative. They’re all pleasant, with the right personality, but with very few skills. They know what they know and certainly are not problem solvers.

While I liked the ambiance, food and looks of the hotel I’m afraid what I’ve described above really did affect my stay there. I have dealt with many concierges and have never met any that did not have knowledge, professionalism, as immediate follow-up as possible, etc. I thought through the pleasant email exchanges I had with the staff before my trip I would be in good hands when I got there but the opposite was true.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank pkr914
CasadeSierraNevada, General Manager at Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Dear pkr914,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at Casa de Sierra Nevada. Your feedback is very important to us and allows us to take immediate action in correcting any area of opportunity that we may have. We sincerely regret that you felt disappointed with your stay.

Casa de Sierra Nevada as part of Orient-Express works hard everyday to provide the best service and product quality to ensure every client leaves happy, we are always constant in the refinement of our product. The result of this effort is reflected on the numerous good comments posted in this site. There are always areas to improve, and thanks to your valuable feedback we are able to identify those areas in which we need to focus on.

We would like to have the opportunity of erasing this negative experience and look forward to welcoming you back to Casa de Sierra Nevada at a future date. Please feel free to contact us directly if you have any further comment.

Warm Regards,

Casa de Sierra Nevada Team.
Ixtapa, Mexico
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Hotel was a typical Hacienda type hotel that you find in so many Mexican cities. We stayed during the mid part of Jan so mornings were quite cool...having breakfast in an outdoor patio , where even the waiters are dressed for warmth, was not very pleasant. Needs a glassed in area for the winter months. Maid service was exceptionally poor, the first day after arrival the maid removed the shampoo and conditioner and didn't leave any behind , she did however leave the dishes from the previous nights meal behind...they were still there when we left. Confirming our stay over the internet was a bit of a hassle.....like most hotels you can check in with a credit card, however unlike any other hotel where this is the case , they do not have an encrypted web site to leave your security code , so you end up playing telephone tag with the front desk .....quite a hassle when you are travelling, and totally unacceptable for company the size of Orient Express

Mdrum

Room Tip: Have breakfast in your own room during the winter months