My wife and I after having visited nearly every beach area in Mexico were interested in real mexico rather than disneyland mexico. This area was perfect destination. We found the city of san miguel and the city of Guanajuato safe, clean, people nice, great food. The colonial history and the architecture are amazing.
The property itself is a series of 5 old colonial homes attached to another or across the street from another. Don't let that be a factor. Its a lovely property with gorgeous grounds. The food is good and consistent for high end vacation lovers. The staff is cordial, interested in your well being, most have very good English skills.
The one drawback to our visit was a bit of poor planning and follow up by the hotel. They had staged a dinner party in the courtyard that was immediately in front of our suite. When we returned from dinner to retire for the evening at 10 pm, the party was picking up steam; lasting all til just past midnight. After calling near 11:30 to the desk asking if they should go deal with it or if I should, there were some commitments without follow through. In addition, i asked to have the general manager phone me on 2 occasions; i didn't receive a call, but rather a cheese plate and a note. First, they should be wiser than to schedule an event like that in front of a booked suite. Secondly, i would have been happy if it stopped at 11 (i love a good fiesta like many), lastly..... how hard is it for the GM to reach me in a property of this small size?
Outside of that, great visit. I did take and highly recommend a couple activities.
1. cooking class at Sazon. very fun, clean, memorable.
2. San Miguel walking tour
3. Day trip to Guanajuato
both tours led by a lovely guy, Jesus, who is long time hotel employee. He's kind, well versed in history of both, architecture, art, etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada is a mixture of 16th to 18th century Spanish colonial buildings, located one and one-half blocks from the cathedral and main city square of San Miguel de Allende. Its 37 rooms and suites are spread amongst six colonial mansions.Each casona, or mansion, which features five to seven guest rooms or suites, is unique. Many feature outdoor courtyards with fountains, small gardens and al fresco corridors. Guests do not have the feeling of being in a hotel at all. Rather, they are integrated into the town itself, making for a true cultural immersion. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa De Sierra Nevada By Orient-Express Hotel San Miguel De Allende
- Hotel Casa De Sierra Nevada