“Ricardo Jimenez & the staff were INCREDIBLE!”

Hong Kong, China
“Ricardo Jimenez & the staff were INCREDIBLE!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have to start by saying Ricardo and his team MADE this trip. I have never experienced such attentive and personal service in my years of hotel stays anywhere. Ricardo managed to help me avert disaster (as I fell ill) and still make the most of our short-time in San Miguel de Allende.

First off, the photos do not do this hotel justice - it is truly stunning with the most attentive staff that I have encountered anywhere in the world. If you are seeking a boutique-style hotel centrally located then this is the best choice by far as you are an easy 5-min walk to El Jardin, the galleries and many of the other attractions.

I was there in April on my first mother/daughter vacation. The hotel is definitely geared towards couples or families with well-behaved children. I had travelled over 35K miles (for both work & pleasure) that month and this was the final leg of my journey. I was obviously run down and as a result fell ill. Ricardo and his team arranged for me to visit the doctor, and after a few hours of being rehydrated etc, I felt so much better. Ricardo had arranged for the car to take us to the hospital (the hospital was pristine with a very professional staff) and pick us up. The next day everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, came by to see how I was feeling.

Once I was back on my feet Ricardo told us about all the best roof top restaurants, galleries, festivals and cooking classes to attend. He ensured that we made the most of the time we had left after losing a day to being ill. My mother and I found ourselves coming back to tell him about our days adventures and thank him.

This will forever be one of my most memorable trips simply because of the people and, of course, Ricardo!

Room Tip: Suites by the pool have a nice outdoor patio and the ones upstairs have great views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emilia L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our stay at Casa de Sierra Nevada was beyond amazing. It exceeded our expectations in every way possible. The food was to die for, the pool was a dream, the service was top-notch, and they had the cutest bar with great bartenders. My fiancé and I actually got engaged here--which was magical! We loved it so much, we might consider having a destination wedding here! Thank you, Casa de Sierra Nevada for an unforgettable vacation. We will be back!

Room Tip: Room with a view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brystal K
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were a bit tired from our day of travel and walking along the streets of San Miguel when we came across the hotel and dining area. Very attractive space (one of the best in town after exploring for three nights) and were welcomed with a tamarind margarita, mariachis and practically our own personal waiter. The service was 5 star, friendly and they did understand some English. We were treated with a beautiful bread board with seasonings and salts, a complimentary app from the chef of white mole enchilada and our first, second and dessert course were delicious and well presented. It was festive, delicious and well priced.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Beth B
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We got married in Sierra Nevada, in Casa del Parque. The location is amazing, the service exceptional (Estrella and Cynthia are awesome), the food spectacular... They go beyond expectations and we couldnt have found a best place for our wedding. We are very thankful and widely recommend the Sierra Nevada for any kind of experience.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Myrna M
Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Celebrated our 40th anniversary here and couldn't have been more pleased with the rooms, restaurant, and especially the staff Ricardo, Antonio, and Felix who went out of their way to help us enjoy our stay. We requested a special dinner with flowers to celebrate our anniversary. 40 years after saying our "I do's" we were escorted to a beautifully private wine cellar with rose petals and votives everywhere and an arrangement of at least 3 dozen red roses on our table (later delivered to our room). When we returned to our room, a slice of cake with drizzled chocolate wishing us a "happy anniversary" awaited us. This evening, especially,was magical. We look forward to returning to this wonderful setting and exploring more of this beautiful and friendly town.

Room Tip: Room 356 in main house was smaller but very nice windows and totally private terrace on the 2nd floo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tsteg2014
Dallas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The Casa del Sierra Nevada is a wonderful hotel suited to the atmosphere that is San Miguel.
Perfect location close to the town square. Our jr ste had a large patio we enjoyed. Very comfortable bed & room. Relaxing pool. Outstanding breakfast. I don't know that I would call
this a 5 star property - but by far - after touring the Rosewood - I am glad we stayed here instead.
It has the ambience and feel of old Colonial Mexico.
Wonderful, friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MSB60
CasadeSierraNevada, Gerente at Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear MSB60,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and other travelers regarding your stay at Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada. It is wonderful to hear that you found the charm that characterizes our authentic colonial mansions and staff.

We look forward to welcome you back again in the near future!

Warm Regards,

Pedro Guerrero
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 26 May 2014

You can tell from the moment you arrive that Casa de Sierra Nevada used to be the shinning star of San Miguel, it is perfectly located just one block away from the cathedral and it is seamlessly integrated with its environment, to be honest its hard to tell its there until you are literally on the front door. As if arriving with the hotel wasn't impressive enough, you are quickly greeted and introduced to the hotel facilities that are distributed among different houses in the same neighborhood, what could go wrong? after all this has to be a 5 star hotel specially for that price (that you had to pay one night in advance).
Well in my experience there last weekend I can tell you that this hotel does not leave to its expectations, particularly considering the price. Do not get me wrong the hotel is beautiful and perfectly located, but there are clear signs that Casa de Sierra Nevada has stop improving and is now resting on his laurels, let me tell you why:
1.- The basic room is super small, we got a nice view of the cathedral, but the room seemed crowded and basic, almost as if we were staying in a friends house and even though one might find this charming I did not expected such a small room for the very high rate that is in par with other hotel such as the Rosewood also in SMA.
2.- After a very heavy rain, we returned to our room to find the roof in the bathroom had many leaks, all our bathroom toiletries and some clothing we left beside the sink were soaking wet. Long after the rain had stopped the wooden beams were still leaking. Such a disappointment for what is supposed to be a 5 star hotel.
3.- As if the leaks weren't enough, it was time to wind down and take a shower after a long day but this experience was disrupted by two important factors: a)A terrible old water shower head that could barely cover the shower space b) A completely out of place old used advertising canvas (used to cover an insurance billboard) placed on top of the sunroof in order to prevent further leaks. It seemed so out of place to see such an improvised bad taste solution to a maintenance problem, if this was really my friends house i would understand but not on a 5 star hotel.
4.-The bed is so uncomfortable, while the hotel does offer a pillow menu, I see not much use of it on what it feels like an old super bouncy spring filled mattress. How can this happen on a 5 star hotel is beyond me.
Finally to put a cherry on the cake, I told my specific complaints to the hotel staff on checkout, and you can tell by their lack of action that they are used to it, their only response was an uninterested "thats a shame, have you paid the parking yet?" this left a very bitter taste in my mouth regarding this experience I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, I gave it an extra point just for their amenities (Soap bars and shampoo) that are amazing.

Room Tip: Rooms can get noisy since its near the cathedral ( you will hear the bells every 15 minutes) try to...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jose C
Dear Jose C,

Thank you for sharing your comments about our location, facilities and first impression of the hotel with other fellow travelers. At Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada all of our rooms are different in style, size, décor and orientation. They are distributed among six colonial mansions all dating back to the 18th century and historic in nature.

We work hard every day to provide the best service and product quality to ensure every client leaves with a great impression, so we are constant in the refinement of our product. The result of this effort is reflected on the numerous good comments posted in this site. There are always areas to improve, and thanks to your valuable feedback we are able to identify those areas in which we need to focus on.

We would like to share with you that we took immediate action to follow up on observations made. We would like to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future to ensure a different experience at Casa de Sierra Nevada. Please feel free to contact us directly if you have any further comment.

Warm Regards,