“All charm and hospitality”

Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was my second trip to SMA this year, having been enchanted by the place in my earlier visit. At that time, I stayed at the Rosewood, although it was a toss-up between that and the Sierra Nevada. This time, I tried my other option and I'm glad I did. These are two very different hotels, both of which offer their advantages and disadvantages. But both are highly recommendable and worth a visit.

There were three things in particular that would have me returning to the Sierra Nevada--the warmth and hospitality of the staff, the charm of the hotel itself and its proximity to the very center of the town. Dining at the in-house restaurant, Andanza, was particularly memorable, and Jose Luis' market and cooking tour conducted at Sazon is something that I would recommend to anyone who visits SMA. The Sierra Nevada is very charming and for anyone looking to stay in something very reminiscent of a hacienda style of hotel, the BCSN will not disappoint.

I find just about everyone in SMA welcoming so the BCSN has no monopoly on the hospitality market. Still, everyone we met there were friendly and accommodating, which is always a nice thing to experience on holiday. The location, just a block and a half from the center of town, cannot be beat. And my room--large, spacious, done very much in colonial style and the best thing--a beautiful private terrace with a view of the Parroquia. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with that room.

That brings up something that some visitors might have an issue with at the BCSN. The hotel is made up of a half-dozen casas, each centrally located and all charming in their own right. Still, being away from the Casa Principal (where I stayed) meant that to see anyone on the hotel staff, and to eat at their wonderful restaurant and bar, you would have to exit your casa and walk over to Principal. Two of the casas are right across the street so that isn't a major issue, but it nonetheless could be slightly inconvenient for any visitor. Also, with six casas, it is pretty hard to determine exactly what your room will look like before your arrival. The website offers a sense of what some rooms and baths look like, but you are pretty much left to guess what you might be getting, both in location and room. And if baths are important to you, check with the hotel to get a sense of what you might expect. While my room and the adjoining terrace were terrific, the bath itself was odd and dated, and something I would not have expected from a hotel of this quality. But as I don't spend too much of my time in the bath, this wasn't a major drawback...although it might be for some. So when you make your reservations, it might behoove you to check on the location of your casa, the room you may be getting and the bath as well--I'd ask for pictures if possible. Other than that, a great place to stay and I can't see the BCSN disappointing anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EvenlyOpinionated

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

On a business trip I went out of Mexico City to stay for a weekend. The hotel in lovely San Miguel de Allende is cosy, luxury, good food and high service dominated by welcoming smiling faces in one spot. Thank you and see you again to Angeles, Pablo and the rest of the great team that made my stay as relaxing as it could possibly be.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have to start by saying Ricardo and his team MADE this trip. I have never experienced such attentive and personal service in my years of hotel stays anywhere. Ricardo managed to help me avert disaster (as I fell ill) and still make the most of our short-time in San Miguel de Allende.

First off, the photos do not do this hotel justice - it is truly stunning with the most attentive staff that I have encountered anywhere in the world. If you are seeking a boutique-style hotel centrally located then this is the best choice by far as you are an easy 5-min walk to El Jardin, the galleries and many of the other attractions.

I was there in April on my first mother/daughter vacation. The hotel is definitely geared towards couples or families with well-behaved children. I had travelled over 35K miles (for both work & pleasure) that month and this was the final leg of my journey. I was obviously run down and as a result fell ill. Ricardo and his team arranged for me to visit the doctor, and after a few hours of being rehydrated etc, I felt so much better. Ricardo had arranged for the car to take us to the hospital (the hospital was pristine with a very professional staff) and pick us up. The next day everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, came by to see how I was feeling.

Once I was back on my feet Ricardo told us about all the best roof top restaurants, galleries, festivals and cooking classes to attend. He ensured that we made the most of the time we had left after losing a day to being ill. My mother and I found ourselves coming back to tell him about our days adventures and thank him.

This will forever be one of my most memorable trips simply because of the people and, of course, Ricardo!

Room Tip: Suites by the pool have a nice outdoor patio and the ones upstairs have great views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emilia L
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our stay at Casa de Sierra Nevada was beyond amazing. It exceeded our expectations in every way possible. The food was to die for, the pool was a dream, the service was top-notch, and they had the cutest bar with great bartenders. My fiancé and I actually got engaged here--which was magical! We loved it so much, we might consider having a destination wedding here! Thank you, Casa de Sierra Nevada for an unforgettable vacation. We will be back!

Room Tip: Room with a view!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brystal K
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were a bit tired from our day of travel and walking along the streets of San Miguel when we came across the hotel and dining area. Very attractive space (one of the best in town after exploring for three nights) and were welcomed with a tamarind margarita, mariachis and practically our own personal waiter. The service was 5 star, friendly and they did understand some English. We were treated with a beautiful bread board with seasonings and salts, a complimentary app from the chef of white mole enchilada and our first, second and dessert course were delicious and well presented. It was festive, delicious and well priced.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Beth B
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We got married in Sierra Nevada, in Casa del Parque. The location is amazing, the service exceptional (Estrella and Cynthia are awesome), the food spectacular... They go beyond expectations and we couldnt have found a best place for our wedding. We are very thankful and widely recommend the Sierra Nevada for any kind of experience.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Myrna M
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Celebrated our 40th anniversary here and couldn't have been more pleased with the rooms, restaurant, and especially the staff Ricardo, Antonio, and Felix who went out of their way to help us enjoy our stay. We requested a special dinner with flowers to celebrate our anniversary. 40 years after saying our "I do's" we were escorted to a beautifully private wine cellar with rose petals and votives everywhere and an arrangement of at least 3 dozen red roses on our table (later delivered to our room). When we returned to our room, a slice of cake with drizzled chocolate wishing us a "happy anniversary" awaited us. This evening, especially,was magical. We look forward to returning to this wonderful setting and exploring more of this beautiful and friendly town.

Room Tip: Room 356 in main house was smaller but very nice windows and totally private terrace on the 2nd floo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple