“Worst meal we've had in SMA”
Review of Cafe Monet

Cafe Monet
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We headed to Café Monet one night after hearing good things about it. First of all, the smell outside the restaurant is very off-putting. The sewer must be right in front of the restaurant which makes for a very unattractive first impression.

The piano player was fabulous and that was the one good thing about the experience. The customer who decided he was going to join the pianist and sing wasn't such a good experience.

My meal, an eggplant parmesan came out of the microwave across the bar from our table. It was fine but I hate microwaved food. My husband's burger was okay.

We honestly couldn't wait to eat and run and we won't be back.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Monet

Reviewed 7 April 2014

When I first hit town it was high season and I was a bit put off by the haughty customers, not the restaurant itself. After the season tapered off I began to go back and found the soul of the place to be pretty darn good. The menu has been carefully crafted so as to make it possible to have a hearty meal at a reasonable price. The food is good and fresh. I sat at the bar and was able to observe one of the most intelligent and sweet waitresses I've ever seen. She had a firm grasp on the customer's orders and with a gentle, tender respect for customers and staff alike she helped smooth the flow of the whole place. Brilliant.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

This restaurant is obviously very popular with the ex-pat community. My husband and I were there for breakfast on our first morning in SMA. Got one of the last available tables and ordered our breakfast. Then, we waited, and waited, and waited. Approx. 30 minutes later, our food and coffee arrived. Unfortunately, it would appear that our order had been forgotten somewhere for a while and although everything was good it was barely lukewarm. Disappointing to say the least. However, I don't hold a grudge for long ad will still give decent marks for atmosphere, tidiness and pleasant service.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Been here before and very much enjoyed my breakfast. Food was fresh and well prepared. Service adequate, but a bit lax when it comes to refilling coffee and bringing the check. With this in mind our group still returned for breakfast yesterday. While sitting in the restaurant a sewage odor wafted through the room. It got worse as the meal progressed. I certainly will not return.

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Spectacular breakfast quiche, fruit with yogurt, capuccino -- we just keep coming back, even though Cafe Monet is a fairly long walk across town. (Besides, how many mornings a week can you handle chilaquiles?) Yes, the tables are full of older Expat gringos, but somehow the food, setting, prices and service are so delightful, we just keep coming back. Dinner menu looks very inviting.

1  Thank catepoe