“Casa Carmen - A Little Bit of Heaven!”
Review of Casa Carmen

Casa Carmen
Natick
“Casa Carmen - A Little Bit of Heaven!”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I just spent a week at Casa Carmen on a artist painting retreat (18 painters) and found it to not only perfect for our purposes, but just perfect overall! The courtyard is beautiful - with the fountain bubbling all day, and the sun hitting the stone pavement, it couldn't be any more charming and comfortable. The breakfast and lunches were delightful and our group had many, many (MANY!) dietary needs and requests and each and every one was honored in a delicious and satisfying way. My room (Magnolia) was large with a walk in closet and a pretty nice bathroom. Cynthia and the staff were very attentive and I don't know if she does this with all her groups, but every evening someone circled the courtyard with a carafe of tequila or mescal and a tray of shot glasses! How fun is that? As other reviewers have stated, the location is perfect for getting around town on foot and I spent lots of time walking around town, including visiting the Jardin, the artisans and food market and all the area shops. When you're inside the walls of Casa Carmen, you feel like you're in the middle of a quiet and protected sanctuary, but when you step out the gate, you're in the thick of an amazing, bustling, friendly and safe "village". Every time I walked out the gate, I felt like I was walking onto a perfect movie set, ala Steven Spielberg! I can't wait to take my husband and friends back to Casa Carmen AND San Miguel!

Room Tip: Magnolia would be perfect for a couple. Plenty of room to unpack, two comfortable chairs with a tab...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank deniseg12345
Richard C, Staff at Casa Carmen, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you very much for writing a review for Casa Carmen. We very much enjoyed meeting all of you and are glad to know that you also enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again with your friends or family when you come visit San Miguel de Allende. We appreciate every guest’s feedback so that we can maintain our tradition of providing our guests with the best stay at Casa Carmen and enjoying beautiful San Miguel de Allende.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Jacksonville
Reviewed 2 February 2013

This inn was just fantastic. About a five-minute walk from the main plaza, you enter the gates and find yourself in a beautiful courtyard. Fresh flowers every day. Ancient gurgling fountain. Sit in a lounge chair with your favorite book. Breakfast and lunch freshly prepared every day.
If you have a hard time with stairs, you might want to ask for a room on the court yard. A couple rooms require a climbing effort. The rooms are modestly appointed but very comfortable. Wi-fi is adequate but not great. But remember, you're on vacation! Your hostess will lean over backwards to make you stay the best. Her assistants are kind, helpful and provide a great opportunity to practice your Spanish. We highly recommend Casa Carmen.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Richard C, Staff at Casa Carmen, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
We welcome and appreciate very much your feedback. We encourage our guests to tell us, if possible in advance, their specific needs and requests so we can make their stay as comfortable as possible. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We are always finding ways to improve our facilities and we plan to add another Wi-fi router so that Wi-fi becomes available at the farthest reaches of the inn. We are also proud of our staff and assistants for their efficiency, kindness, and friendliness, as they are considered part of the Casa Carmen family. We hope to see you again here at Casa Carmen!
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I enjoy traveling & I enjoy staying home but I Love It when I can ALMOST do both at the same time!

Staying at Casa Carmen under the attentive eye of hostess Cynthia and her warm & eager-to-please staff for 11 days in October 2012 was like traveling & taking my own home & family with me.

I traveled solo to a retreat hosted at Casa Carmen so a group of us stayed in this little bit of paradise together. My room facing the charming courtyard was a visual treat and peacefully quiet. My double bed was placed in a comfy alcove with fresh sheets changed almost every other day. My room was kept spotless.

As I came to know my group of fellow travelers, I took peeks into 7 different rooms. All rooms were spacious and completely different in furnishings. I loved it! Original artwork on the walls added to the ambiance. I would be happy staying in any of the rooms I viewed. My cell phone worked in my room and free WiFi was available in the courtyard. A separate living room area was also available with a computer and a large, plasma screen TV.

The Food!! The Food!!

Casa Carmen is clearly more than a B&B ... More like a B&B&L as lunch is served 6 days a week. I am vegetarian but never lacked for a healthy, nutritious meal. I don't read or speak Spanish but each morning fellow guests encouraged me to try some of the local specialties. One selects a hot breakfast from a menu so each dish is cooked to order.

Because of the handy location only a few blocks from the town center, it is easy to return 'home' mid-day for the ample lunch. My compliments to the cook as each soup and main dish was seasoned perfectly. Nothing bland, nothing too spicy. Each day I looked forward to seeing which fresh fruits and vegetables would be featured next. What a treat!

On Sunday when only breakfast is offered, there are many nearby restaurants to visit within a 5 minute walk. A bakery on the corner offers sweets & savory breads; the bakery's adjoining bar & restaurant even offer up a satisfying, freshly-made "green juice" drink.

I always felt safe at Casa Carmen and this is important when traveling solo. Every time I used my key to enter Casa Carmen, staff would notice and welcome me.The wide covered porch made sitting around the courtyard suitable in any weather.The flowers were fragrant and plentiful, the fountain was soothing for napping.

What else do you want to know?
Would I stay at Casa Carmen again?
I have high hopes for doing just that in the fall.
It is my dream to travel there for a month's stay in the future.
I hope you will enjoy Casa Carmen as much as I did.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
casacarmen, Owner at Casa Carmen, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Dear Somepinkflowers!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about Casa Carmen in TripAdvisor. You described what most of our guests feel about their stay with us. We are so pleased when we are able to make you feel at home 'without the dishes'. Next time you come you will find new additions as we are always looking for improvement. As a return guest you will receive a discount. Hasta pronto!!!
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I loved my stay at Casa Carmen. Cynthia Kulander is a lovely and gracious hostess. The ambiance, the staff, the food, and the comfort and beauty of my room was outstanding. I have traveled all over Mexico and this is truly one of my all time favorite of places. I was there for eleven days, plenty of time to have glitches appear, which they did not. Any potential problems, like the internet going down, were fixed immediately. If I needed anything, all I had to do was ask, and my request was attended to. I felt completely at home and loved the proximity to the heart of the city. I can not wait to return.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelingspiral
Richard C, Staff at Casa Carmen, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
As we say here in Casa Carmen: “Mi casa es su casa.” (“My home is your home.”) Thank you very much for taking time to give your review of Casa Carmen. Cynthia Kulander’s mother ran Casa Carmen for decades and Cynthia is proud to carry on her mother’s tradition of providing guests with the comforts of one’s own home and the charm and tranquility of an old Mexican colonial home. As you point out, Casa Carmen is ideally situated in the heart of San Miguel de Allende, a city more than 500 years old and a beloved tourist destination for both residents of Mexico and visitors abroad. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again on your next trip to our beloved city.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 31 December 2012

In my case. They changed the room for a smaller one, which is way in the back of the place. The room has motel style soap and shampoo, horrible quality. And never got more, so we had to use the little pieces. They don´t accept credit card and I was not told about this. They do not give you a Factura, or invoice, so you won´t be able to deduct from your taxes, which is forbidden by law in Mexico, by the way. (Again they don´t tell you this either).
The people are nice, but I never met the owner as other people says in these comments. I am very dissapointed about this place, I was looking for a romantic place to spend with my girlfriend and we both were very sad about the price and what you get from it. (It´s only a place to stay within Downtown San Miguel, but there are a lot more places nicer than this one which have both location and service.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank savadaba
casacarmen, Owner at Casa Carmen, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
I am so very sorry that you found your stay inadequate. We strive to make our guests as comfortable and welcome as possible. As you can tell from our guest comments, the vast majority of guests leave Casa Carmen wanting to return year after year. However, we know from being in business for over 50 years that, no matter what, there will be guests for whom this is not the right match. If shampoo is what defines your stay, rather than our memorable meals, warmth, comfort, and hospitality, and the ambiance of a colonial home from the 18th century, then a spa hotel may be what you are looking for rather than a bed and breakfast. Notwithstanding this, I assure you I will look into why you were not provided soap on your additional days and I truly hope this was not the reason you left the room in the condition we found it. We don’t often get guests as young as you, but we always hope their behavior is a reflection of the good manners they learned.

In our webpage you will find that we do not accept credit cards and we also mentioned it over the phone. I do apologize, though, perhaps we missed clarifying this to you. Regardless of your misunderstanding, I sincerely hope you return to our beautiful city and experience what it has to offer.
Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The location of Casa Carmen is ideal, just 1.5 blocks from the main plaza. The building is centuries old, full of charm and character, spacious rooms arrayed around a central courtyard planted with orange trees and a fountain in the center, comfortable chairs outside the rooms, it's a great place to hang out and meet other guests or just relax. The staff are all friendly and warm, the owner Cynthia speaks English and is very helpful. One of the pluses is that price includes both breakfast and lunch, and the food is excellent.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
casacarmen, Owner at Casa Carmen, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Mocona,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. And thank you so much for your wonderful comments about Casa Carmen. My mom used to say that Casa Carmen atracts amazing people. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. Next time you visit us, we will be happy to give you a discount. We do that for all of our return guests.

Hasta pronto!
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Charming hotel/inn. There is a courtyard, like most hotels in San Miguel, and it is especially relaxing with the lovely fountain in the center and comfortable chairs scattered around colorful tile tables. All the rooms are different: floor plan, decorating, color scheme. The location cannot be beat, being walking distance to absolutely everything! Cindy gave top notch recommendations on restaurants. I highly recommend Casa Carmen.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Richard C, Staff at Casa Carmen, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for writing a very positive feedback of Casa Carmen. We really give a lot of care and attention to not only in creating a charming, clean, and beautiful place but also in making our guests comfortable, relaxed, and satisfied. We make sure that guests get the best B&B accommodations and hospitality that they could find in San Miguel de Allende and we give care to everything from designing each room to providing warm, home-cooked, delicious, and healthy breakfasts and lunches. We hope you will return to stay with us whenever you visit San Miguel.