“One day in San Miguel ”
Review of Helene Kahn Tours

Helene Kahn Tours
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

While in language school in Guanajuato I took the bus to check out San Miguel. Helene was the perfect guide informing about history architecture and culture we had a wonderful lunch in San Miguel and a stop at a modern art exhibit in addition to the usual places of interest. Helene then drove me to Dolores hidalgo stopping at ceramic factories along the route. After the tour of Dolores she made sure I had a ticket on a bus back to gto. I can't recommend her enough!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

At the time of this writing, Helene has 27 reviews, every one of them a 5-star rating. I am writing this without referring to the others but I am assuming that I will just be repeating much of what others have had to say. I spent a half day in SMA and a full day in Guanajuato with Helene. My interest was primarily focused around history and architecure, with some attention to art and culture, and because this was not meant to be an academic tour, I wanted Helene to point out some interesting places to shop, to eat, or just to quietly "hang out". BTW, these were one-on-one tours I arranged, which made it more expensive for me personally, but then again, I had Helene's full attention and got to see pretty much what I most wanted to see. I imagine that Helene would be equally effective with a larger group, but what you get from her when it's just you and/or you and your significant other is much more than what you would ordinarily expect.

Helene has lived in SMA for 21 years and it's obvious that she knows the area very well--and not simply on a superficial level. If you're clear with her from the beginning as to what might interest you most, she will carefully tailor your tour to suit your interests. It helps that having done this for some time, she knows many people in the area and they are quite welcoming and accommodating as a result. A shipping company in SMA waited on us a half-hour after normal closing time simply because they knew and liked Helene. I expected Helene to be quite knowledgeable about the history and architecture of the area, but she also knew the shopping routes as well. For a guy, that may not be so important as there really isn't much in the way of shopping for men in either SMA or Guanajuato (IMO), but for women, I imagine Helene would be a godsend. I also learned that it probably pays to take Helene's lead on places that you may not ordinarliy consider visiting. She knows her way around and is good at separating the wheat from the chaff, and any suggestion of hers is worth consideration. This was evidenced by one side trip we took that pretty much supplied me with most of my "take-home" items, even though I had not planned to go there originally.

Aside from her knowledge of the area, a reason to consider Helene is simply to spend the day with someone who is engaging and enjoyable to be with. On our trip to Guanajuato in particular, a good portion of the drive from and back to SMA were spent on our catching up with each other's histories and sharing stories. In a sense, Helene seemed more like a friend living in SMA that was taking you around than she did a tour guide. And I had to admire her spirit as well, no doubt coming in part from her 20+ years living in the area and having to deal with locals and visitors alike. She has very little good to say about drivers in Guanajuato for example, as reflected by what she had to say (in Spanish) to a passing driver who gave us no leeway as we attempted to cross a small street. And her disdain for a Starbucks right off the Jardin in SMA was clear from the get-go (although I have to admit that as Starbucks go, this was one of the nicest ones I've ever seen!) In short, by spending time with Helene, you'll get to know SMA, Guanajuato and surrounding areas pretty well, but as enjoyable will be "hanging with Helene" herself. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the service she offers.

4  Thank EvenlyOpinionated
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Helene is a superb, knowledgable and delightful guide. On our first day in SMA, she took us on a walking tour that made the town, its people, architecture and history come alive. She also pointed out the best restaurants, taking both food and views into consideration, good places to shop (or to avoid) and where to just relax and enjoy the ambiance. She gave us a good map that she designed and wrote in stops she recommended or we requested, making it easy to remember and find our way back afterwards. Another day, Helene took us on an excellent day trip to Guanajuato, where we walked all over town and ate in a lovely, inexpensive, upstairs restaurant we would never have found on our own. An American who has lived in San Mig for more than 20 years, Helene helped us bridge the language barrier and provided many insights from her extensive knowledge of Mexican cultures, arts and literature.

1  Thank MaineSailorDude
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Helene and I did the San Miguel tour on my first full day in town. When I later set out on my own, I had a wonderful understanding of where things were, how to get around, and the areas I wanted to visit again. Helene is a delight. A long-time San Miguel resident, she know the people, the places, the history. Several days later, I went with Helene to Guanajuato and Dolores. On her personalized tour you are never rushed, can speak more in depth of things of interest to YOU, and are never standing behind a crowd of people trying to hear or keep up with the guide. It is the only way to go and it will change the entire experience for you. If you like to shop, as I do, Helene were personally guide you to the best and most reputable shops (and help you choose should you wish....love my bracelet Helene!)

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Helene picked us up at our B&B promptly at 9:00 and we spent the next 8 hours with her as we travelled to Guanajuato and Delores Hidalgo. The tour was wonderful and we were able to see things and go places that we never would have if we attempted to do it on our own. Helene is very fun to be with and it was easy to spend a day with her learning about the area and visiting as well. We stopped at a ceramic store that seemed to be in the middle of nowhere - but what a treat. She was always attentive to our needs and tailored the tour to fit what we wanted to see. Helene has lived in the area for 18 years so has a great knowledge of Mexico.

2  Thank jfecho