“AMAZING & hospitable Staff- Very courteous!”

La Puertecita Boutique Hotel
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I greatly enjoyed my stay at La Puertacita with my two daughters, (ages 19 and 21). We stayed there for six nights July 9-15, 2009 and took watercoloring classes in the mornings. We stayed in a beutiful suite with a private terrace, which I highly reccomend called El Bosque.
This charming boutique hotel is in the beautiful UNESCO World Heritage town of San Miguel de Allende. The hotel itself is a marvel to wander around. The bathrooms are tiled with hand-painted ceramic tiles and the brass knobs are all hand-crafted.
The restaurant has very reasonable prices and tasty food, (I reccomend the steak with mushrooms and onions). Most importantly Antonio Ramez is one of the nicest waiters in the resturant.
The Manager Donato J. Ortega and reservationist Guadalupe were both so wonderful and helpful during our whole stay. The staff at the hotel are so helpful and hospitable I wished I had booked a longer stay.
As an extensive international traveler, I find that hospitality is a large factor when I reccomend a place, and this place is highly reccomended for it´s charming architecture, world heritgae site location, and helpful staff!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for La Puertecita Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 24 May 2008

My husband and I just returned from a week at La Puertecita. The hotel is a perfect 10 minute walk to town through ankle twisting cobblestone roads. The town is amazing and the hotel is a perfect hideaway. Our room was really lovely decked out in Spanish/Mexican decor with stone ceilings and a beautiful garden in our bathroom. In addition, we had our own private patio where the restaurant catered 2 4 course meals with wine and everything.

The hotel offers 2 courses that are available, one in water color and the other in Spanish. We chose the Spanish lessons which were 4 hours per day Monday thru Friday. Our profesora was a friendly and very helpful real estate agent which came in handy as we were also there to look at real estate.

The food at the hotel was exceptional. The restaraunt is open air and surrounded by amazing gardens. Strangely enough we weren't bothered too much my insects-it must have something to do with the climate. All meals were traditional Mexican style and Thursdays they have a barbeque on the terrace with some of the best ribs I have ever had. Being from Texas, that is no small feat.

The most critical element was the personal attention we received. After a few days of traditional fare, my husband came down with the ole Monteczuma's Revenge. Using my newly learned Spanish I was able to communicate with the night groundskeeper who quickly called a doctor. A physician came from the hospital and was in our room within 15 minutes administering medications and an exam. He wrote a prescription and the groundskeeper called the pharmacy who delivered within 10 minute. So 25 Minutes from start to finish with an MD and meds all for $120. Try that in the US! The next day, the driver took me all around town while my hubby was ill and helped me practice my Spanish. It was really fun!

While you are there, DO NOT MISS La Capilla. It is a restaurant dating back to the 17th century on the rooftop of the cathedral. The view alone is killer and the food is a wonderful accompaniment to the nightly thunder showers. Get there soon!

Suggestions-If you are staying at this hotel you may want to pack your own pillows. They are pretty flat. Also, get ready, there is no AC anywhere in the town including at the hotel! Since nights were cool, it was not a big issue, but it took us a night or two to get used to it.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TXSafariGal
Reviewed 23 September 2007

Planning to go back to San Miguel, which we love. Our first stay was at the Puertecita. We stayed "off" season and practically had the hotel to ourselves. We arrived from the bleak Northeast in April which was like entering a "Garden of Eden." with everything in bloom. Quite the contrast from home. We loved the town, very convenient from the hotel, Hotel was graet, as well as the staff. Loved breakfast amidst the gardens and can't forget double margaritas in the afternoon...one frozen, one straight up. Try it, you'll like it.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2007

My daughter and stayed at this wonderful hotel July 11-16th and enjoyed it very much. Be specific about the room type you are booking as our travel agent automatically booked a room for us with 2 double beds. The hotel originally gave us probably their worst room which was very small and had no patio. The hotel staff was very gracious and accomodating in our request for a nicer room. We were able to switch to a beautiful room with our own deck and gorgeous view. The bathroom was gorgeous - and had a garden it it. The grounds are lovely and since it sits on a hillside they have built a stream which is so peaceful to hear while eating meals on their patio. The pools are very nice but we especially loved the jacuzzi that has the waterslide down into a cold pool - very fun after a long day walking around San Miguel. The hotel is about 10 minutes from town. They provide taxi vouchers or will drive you. Cab fare is only $2.50 appx. to be driven back. The front desk staff and waiters are so kind and helpful. We would definitely return to Hotel Puertacita!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank laurel29
Reviewed 28 May 2007

The hotel really is quite beautiful, but they advertise themselves as one of the Top 100 hotels of the World, but they don't specify who ranks them as such. I find this difficult to believe...

The gardens are beautifully kept, the restaurant has great food at good prices and the room is nice.
A few things to keep in mind:
All rooms are different, so for the same price, our friends got a jacuzzi and we didn't.
Our room was overlooking one of the pools, and the pool maintenance crew makes a LOT of noise starting very early in the morning (7 am)... they drag metal furniture, talk in very loud voices, so forget about sleeping.
The cleaning staff does not replenish the bottles of shampoo and conditioner. We had to make do with a tiny bottle of shampoo for a couple of days.
They charge all extras (toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.) so make sure you don't forget anything.
It's an okay hotel, but definitely not one of the top 100 hotels in the world.
We are not sure if we will return to this hotel. Probably not.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 6at86th
Reviewed 10 March 2007

It's been several yrs since we stayed here but I thought I would add a review.
Location: ideal. You do NOT want to stay in town. We were in SMA a few wks before Easter. There was an ALL NIGHT processional (kids and adults in costumes) and fireworks the entire night. The next morning everyone who had stayed in town complained about not getting a wink of sleep the night before.
I toured several other hotels and B and Bs in and out of town. They weren't very nice incl top rated ones on TA.
I can't emphasize enough how serious an issue noise is if staying in town. If there aren't religious processions there will be roosters at the crack of drawn or drunken tourists.
The room decor and balcony/patios/views at La Puertacita were breathtaking. Brick ceilings, spacious rooms, beautifully tiled, exotic bathrooms.
The Spanish Colonial architecture found at some other lodgings was depressing to me. Many have no exterior windows- the only source of light is a window facing an inner courtyard- dark and dismal.
Americans: I'm sure there are lots of perfectly nice fellow Americans who live in SMA but some of the ones we encountered seemed quite crass: bragging about cheating on their Mexican taxes, ancient gals cursing like sailors- kind of strange.
I highly recommend the home tour sponsored by the local library- very interesting although most of the attendees looked like refugees from an old folks home (average age 85).
We had many divine meals at local, upscale restaurants recommended by and for Americans. I have traveled extensively in Mexico and Central America but was not prepared for the severe turista I came down with. I had to get on anthrax strength antibiotics once I got home to wipe out the bug I caught. My husband with the iron clad stomach was fine.
We enjoyed our stay so much but I am leery about returning for fear of getting sick again. I would avoid the delicious salads and raw veggies and any street vendors. I would also recommend getting a series of Hepatitis A vaccine for any third world travelers.

• Stayed: April 2004
5  Thank anonj
Reviewed 18 March 2005

We stayed for a week at this hotel in early February, 2005. This is a beautiful small boutique hotel a short walk to the Jardin (central Plaza). We enjoyed the walk down to town, but it is a very strenuous walk back to the hotel, so a cab was taken most times for 20 pesos (about 2.00).
There are 2 swimming pools and a hot tub. It is the type of pool that I like with lots of shade.
The restaurant was very good, especially the omelet la Puerticita for breakfast.
Another post for this hotel says it was noisy, but I did not find that. It is not on a main road and anywhere is San Miguel there could be dogs barking as there are a lot of strays, but the hotel was well insulated and no noise bothered my sleep and I am noise sensitive.
I got a very good rate of $130 US a night at this hotel by calling and staying there for 7 days. This was nearly 1/2 of the rate at the discount hotel sites on the web.

19  Thank TOtraveller