“Simple, clean and quiet”
Review of Quinta Loreto

Quinta Loreto
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We were very happy at the Quinta Loreto. We opted for a larger, more expensive room (with TV), with two double beds and a very spacious bathroom - still reasonable in cost. The room was fairly basic - just two beds, a desk and some chairs...but right for the price. I loved the quiet garden setting, while still being close to the bustling 'centro'. We walked most places. The only negatives for me was a bright outside light that shone in the window beside the bed that the curtains failed to shield. We hung blankets over the window but it did not help much. Also it would have been nice to have a comfy sofa-type chair to relax in and to be able to have tea in the evening. The staff were all very helpful. The restaurant was excellent. I regret I did not ever try the full lunch special. It just seemed like too much food! I may have to return for that.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank casjazz

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Initially I was very taken by the big. bright, spacious room.Although the furniture was old and basic, it was sooo great to find light switches all over the place, in order to illuminate any part
of the room , or bathroom. Also, there were ample electricity outlets, a wonderful big old desk ,
with a light switch, and wall lamp right above, so I can work on my computer, The bed was big and comfortable, there was a nice sofa seat to relax in, a patio and chair in the back all for myself, an oldish t.v. with many English channels,comfortable chairs on the front porch ( facing a beautiful private park) a big huge clean bathroom,that worked... all within a 10 minute walk to the center of town. Also tons of storage space.
But now for the big 2 plusses. :
Number one was the nightly rate of $40 per night. (I have paid so much more before for less comfortable rooms.)
The second plus was the restaurant ,where a bunch of elderly ladies just pampered you with the best Mexican food I have ever eaten, and for prices that seemed ridiculously cheap.!
The 5 -course -scrumptious lunch was about $10 USD, and the wonderful breakfasts were half the price...All so odd, because the restaurant seems so unassuming, and ordinary, at first.
The restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch.( I am still revelling over the pork chops ,stuffed with prunes)
The only negative were the barking dogs in the neighborhood, but I think the owners shut the dogs up,or took them in after 23:00

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jsohmer
Reviewed 31 August 2011

This is an old establishment with an interesting history. Long before San Miguel became known internationally and transportation was difficult, Dr. Agundis built a place so he could invite other physicians to meet and discuss medical issues. The Quinta grew and became a favorite among American and Canadian tourists. Although there are now scads of lodgings and restaurants closer to the center of town, this is still a safe, clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, family operated hotel. The real prize, however, is the comida corrida - the daily lunch specials that are nothing less than great. The salads are fresh, the soups good (their gazpacho is the best I have tasted), and some of the main dishes, especially the stuffed pork chops, are wonderful. The moderately priced meal also includes bolillos, beverage, and desert. It is a lot of food, so be prepared for an afternoon siesta.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room away from the main entrance and not close to the restaurant.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Chucumite
Reviewed 27 August 2011

There might be better hotels. But at the rates and with the location, I like this place best. The garden is tranquil and pretty. The staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant is great.
I have stayed there off and on for 25 years. It hasn't changed much. It's always a pleasant experience.
Try it, you'll like it!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank flylowguy
Reviewed 18 June 2011

my friend has stayed here 10 times and recommended it for reasonable price and location. However, we had a string of unpleasant things happen when we checked in so we ended up looking for another place. 1 - we came especially for the pool because of my young daughter, the pool was green, couldn't see bottom, with all kinds of debris in it. Mgmt insisted it was cleaned daily but it shouldn't look like that if done right. 2 - a drunk lady who was staying there accosted us in the garden and told us to shut up and swore at us in front of my 5 year old, she wanted it quiet so the "birds would talk to her." My friend requested a ground floor room weeks in advance for her health, she got an upstairs room. My room smelled and looked ancient, and the room next door was filled with screams and yelling of kids. Anyway, we had a very bad vibe from the place and didn't feel comfortable. Location is great, it's in it all but yet feels away in a park-like setting. Some upgrading and maintenance is needed. Management was great and refunded us our room, they were apologetic about the drunk lady.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sccarrillo
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel was GREAT! Our room was huge, had a small patio, a television, and if you let the shower run a little bit it will get hot, be patient. It's about 10 easy walking minutes to the historic center (plaza)/Parrochia, and there's complimentary parking. We walked back from the center at night and felt perfectly safe. While we visited San Miguel for its historic and architectural sites, I've convinced my girlfriends to come back with me to shop at the Artisan's Market that is right next to the hotel. Don't worry, the market opens at 10:00 a.m. and closes at 6:00 p.m. and, frankly, we couldn't really hear anything when in our room. The restaurant is relatively inexpensive with authentic breakfast/dinners, and the gardens are a definite plus. This hotel is a good value, and I am definitely coming back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2009

The hospitality was very good, I made nice friends who came every year, for many yrs. Bed. water pressure &, toilet fine. Location great.
Downside...... The room did have some sort of smell, heater scary because of age, TV ancient, dark, depressing. I will go again because of friends and location. Maybe we should all insist on improvements.
Bottom line, Hated the room, everything else fine

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo