“Beautiful meal in colonia San Antonio”
Review of Firenze

Firenze
Price range: US$3 - US$15
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 November 2013

First, tell you driver circa de Iglesias San Antonio. The restaurant is on the second floor of a building next to the plaza and church. Once there we found ourselves in a stark white entryway with a small (two person) elevator. Half of our party ascended while we waited for the elevator to return for us. When we disembarked, the owner ( coincidentally named Antonio) awaited our arrival. The restaurant was the complete opposite of the downstairs entrance; warmly lit with pictures of sites in Italy. There was terrace seating with an up close view of the second most important church in SMA, as well as tables inside...maybe twelve to fifteen in all. The kitchen, while not open was partially visible. We were seated by Antonio who continued to engage us periodically during the meal. They served an abbreviated choice of wines. Three whites, Pino Grigio, Chardonnay and Sauvignon blanc and four reds, two of which were Mexican, one Italian and one Argentinian Malbec. The Italian was their house red. And it seemed they served all the whites by the glass.

We were given hot, tender bread and small plates with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Antonio described three pasta specials as well as going over the menu to let us know if anything was not available. We all had different starters, all very good. For the entrees, we chose specials, and they were wonderful. I chose a pumpkin ravioli with sage butter and pecans. It came to me on a hot place with a wonderful aroma preceding my first taste. The flavors were nicely balanced and the ravioli was slightly browned which gave it a crispness I loved. My husband and I traded ravioli to taste each other's. He had ordered another special ravioli, braised short rib. It took me down a whole different road of flavor, so rich with a wonderful sauce as well.
Our friends have been to Italy, so they had a nice conversation with Antonio about how he came to open his restaurant and his respect for the simplicity of the food.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Cafe Firenze is unquestionably one of the very best restaurants in San Miguel. We have eaten there several times and it is consistently outstanding. We ate there recently with well-traveled friends and relatives from the U.S. They all agreed the food was very special. That night my sister had a ravioli and goat cheese dish that we all agreed was one of the most fantastic dishes we had ever eaten, The raviolis were lightly fried on one side which gave them a unique and incredible taste and texture. We also had their signature Short Ribs, pasta with mussels, arrachera, and sauteed calamari, prepared perfectly, without the typical deep-fried breading that is usually the case.
The service is professional but not pretentious and the view is unsurpassed. A full bar would be nice but the extensive wine list, which includes many excellent Italian varietals, is more than sufficient.
If you are looking for the best our town has to offer, try Cafe Firenze. You will not be sorry.

1  Thank EFKaplan
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The professional chef and I returned twice in the last 10 days.
She usually has the ribs, but had the Huachinango (red snapper) on Polenta - very lovely. I would have had same, but she got the last order. I had Spinach Ravioli w/ a Bolognese sauce on the first of the 2 and Spinach Ravioli w/duck ragout - pretty adventuresome. Their Pumpkin/Squash Ravioli w/brown butter and sage is very nice.
Firenze is her favorite restaurant in San Miguel de Allende - she has lived here for 20 + and I for 10 + years.
I'm still stunned that it reminds me of a blend of Trattoria "LA GROTTA" in Cortona and Antica Locanda di Sesto about 12 km N of Lucca - 2 of my favs in Tuscany. Have been to both in 2013; 2012; 2011, etc.
I was married to a half Italiana for 28 years and lived with a primera generacion Italiana for 8 years.
Ciao y Provecho if I may mix Idiomas

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Once you figure out the funky elevator entrance you will enjoy a fabulous, healthy Italian delight. Antonio (the owner) makes you feel right at home while his entire staff spoils you in every way. Not seeing a sauce available on the menu that I wanted, I asked if they could make what I did want; no problem. A delicious simple fresh tomato, olive oil and garlic sauce with my linguine did the trick. The brucetta was over the top and salads very enjoyable. can't say enough about this wonderful little find. The fact that it was my birthday and that they fussed over me made this visit even more special. The view of Plaza San Antonio and the churches is fantastic!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband and I went to Cafe Firenze for his Birthday and we adored the food the limited tables and the mystery ride in a tiny elevator to this hidden paradise overlooking Plaza de San Antonio!
The owner ,Antonio was so kind and friendly and please have the brushutta ,honestly ...better than Italy ! Go !