“Excellent Food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: International
South Portland, Maine
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

This is a small restaurant with excellent food and wonderful desserts. I've been here several times. I love the Caldo de pollo, but my sons had pizza and salad. Both were fresh and tasty. Karin made our Thanksgiving pumpkin pie with real whipped cream. Her server is very nice. Reasonable prices. Wholesome, good food.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Maineage

Herradura, Costa Rica
“Terrible food, but the service is mediocre!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

Was craving a smoothie, but upon learning that none is made with fresh fruit (only powdered mixes and syrups), I passed.

I placed my order with Karen, the owner, for a cappuccino, an omelette and a bottle of water.

The server brought me a latte and an omelette in a pool of orange grease.

When I mentioned to Karen that I ordered a latte and not a cappuccino, her response was that they are the same.

Similar, yes. The same, no. One should reasonably expect the owner of an establishment that is primarily a coffee shop-bakery to know the difference. My latte had very little foam; it was not in the gray area between cappuccino and latte; it was 100% latte!

As for the omelette, she said that she had served 5 other omelettes today. I'm guessing that 3 guests did not care and 2 will simply not return.

Restaurant owners should invite and welcome feedback. Most customers will say nothing to the owner or staff, and will either not return or worse: They will tell others about their experience.

What was particularly off-putting was Karin's final word, which was that I was having a bad day. Nope; it's a great day. I am in San Miguel and could not be happier. It's surprising that the owner of a struggling restaurant would not try to make things right, rather than telling me that i was wrong on every count. (She said she did not hear me ask for water. OK; we're all human. I can live with that.)

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MichaelBrownCR
Gulf Coast Mississippi
“Karin's Cafe ... WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

I'll have to admit that I've been there a few times in the last 2 weeks. With all of the great restaurants here in San Miguel that says alot for how great the food and service are. Karin's soups are fantastic, especially the Cauliflower and Curry and Cream of Broccoli. What's really nice (and unique for Mexico) is that Karin makes sure that her food is healthy as well as delicious - with the cream soups really having a little milk but no actual cream (you would never know!). The salad selections are excellent - I have had the Spinach salad and Chicken Salad, served fresh and with homemade dressings. My friends have had the sandwiches on fresh baked baguettes and they have said they were excellent.

I did note the review that mentioned the Tres Leches cake with the chocolate topping - my idea of the best dessert ever. During Aug-Sep Karin's serves Chiles en Nogada. I had them last year when I was here and they were great - local friends of mine (who know their Mexican food) just had them last week and raved.

Don't miss Karin's Cafe - it's on a beautiful little side street right behind the Parroquia Church. The staff is helpful (especially Juan) and they will cater to your specific requests. Enjoy!!

• Visited August 2011
CT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tres Leches Cake to die for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

Near the end of our stay in SMA, our group developed a serious need late one evening for something sweet. When our collective urge for a surgery treat kicked in, we happened to be walking past Karin's Cafe on San Francisco near El Jardin square. We ducked in and emerged with several pieces of tres leches cake to-go. Back at our SMA rental we devoured the huge pieces of OMG-good tres leches cake. Wow! I wish there had been another day in SMA for us to sample more of Karin's other offerings. Give this place a try!!

Visited July 2011