“A delicious evening”

La Cocina Cooking School
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Immerse yourself in the gastronomy and culture of Mexico. La Cocina offers more than just a cooking class—-they delve into the country's fascinating heritage and history, allowing you to transport a true culinary experience into your own kitchen. From market tours and seasonal menus to centuries-old traditional dishes, La Cocina will enrich your San Miguel experience.
Reviewed 29 January 2014

A fun and educational Thursday evening in Kris's great kitchen for a traditional Mexican class. There are other offerings as well. Hands on making guacamole, mole, stuffed poblanos, cactus salad, and tres leche cake, all in three hours. Then enjoyed our efforts with margaritas. You learn about culture as well as about food. Hope to return for another class.

There are newer reviews for La Cocina Cooking School

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have loved these classes so much I have taken 4 of them now on three separate trips to San Miguel. Kris is a wonderful teacher and is very passionate about the food and culture in Mexico. She has a beautiful kitchen where you do hands on classes. The food has been amazing every time and the recipes are not so complicated that I have been able to replicate them again at home. I have learned something new from Kris each class I've taken, cooking tips, history of chocolate, agave plants, and cultural tidbits to name a few. I highly recommend this cooking school!
She also owns a wonderful little restaurant El Buen cafe that is a must try!

1  Thank Meghan S
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My cooking experience was minimal until I took Kris’ class in San Miguel de Allende. She showed us how to prepare the most delicious authentic Mexican foods. She did all this in one delightful, entertaining afternoon. The best part was that we ate the meal after fixing it. Delicious! Kris is a true expert. She gave us great suggestions and recipes that I have used after returning home to the US. Kris generously shares her knowledge of the ingredients, where they come from, how to find them and all the time describing the history of the food and Mexico. We prepared different salsas, moles, and pollo en salsa verde. I learned about many different peppers, chili ancho the dried ones, pasilla, habanero the hot ones, and of course the delicious poblano. Kris is absolutely an authority on the subtle nature of Mexican cuisine. Her recipe for tres leches cake is superb. Kris is a delightful individual with a great sense of humor. I have followed Kris to Italy for her tastes of Italian cuisine and now taken her San Miguel de Allende Mexico cooking class. If you want the authentic taste of local delights Kris’ tours and classes are superb. I recommended them unconditionally.

1  Thank Ted D
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My friend and I took a class on making salsa which included a tour of the Ignacio Ramirez Mercado. I love this place and it was great to get an insider's tips. I've walked past so many of the little shops and had no idea of what their specialties were.

The cooking class was great fun and we had a lunch of our results later. We were very lucky and had the Tres Leche Cake for dessert which was left over from the Traditional Mexican cooking class. I really want to take that class next.

Kris is a very skilled instructor and is very knowledgable about San Miguel. She manages the time very well and I would highly recommend her classes. And go to her restaurant, El Buen Cafe, too!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Myself and two friends had been travelling in Mexico and while in San Miguel decided to do a cookery course. We had a really enjoyable evening chatting and learning loads about Mexican cooking and food. I could not recommend it more highly. Kris gave us loads of info on the food its history and that of Mexico and its people.