“Without the noise it would be perfect!”

Posada Carmina Hotel
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Without the noise it would be perfect!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel is right next to the main square where everything happens and is located. You can walk anywhere from here and everything you may need is less then a minute walk away! Rooms are spacious and well litten, however its so close to the church that everytime the bells would ring (which is very regular!) I would wake up...and having a jet lag didn't really help at all. The weather was good, hot during the day and cool at night, so I had to use the fan a couple of times. If you are visiting during the summer when weather is hotter please check if they have air conditioning. The breakfast was good and the coffee was very fresh and tasty. The reception does close after 11pm but there is a guard on duty.

Room Tip: Pick a room as far from the church as possible!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Loomi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I can't comment on the hotel, but I can highly recommend the restaurant for a relaxing and delicious breakfast in San Miguel. I was recently in SMA for a week, and happened on this restaurant one morning. It was so good we returned the following morning. I can recommend the eggs with smoked salmon and the eggs benedict. The service was excellent, the food was delicious, and the courtyard setting with fountain is lovely. The waiters are attentive and bilingual. It will be one of my first breakfast stops on my next trip to San Miguel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

We did NOT stay at the hotel, but found the restaurant a real "find". Good food with an attentive bilingual wait staff, and reasonable pricing. I highly recomend this as a diner stop during your stay in SMA.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Don G
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Best: Location / Worst:Noise.
Down town San Miguel is a very lively place. You can found many interesting things all walking distance IF you choose the right location. That's why we chose Posada Carmina, it is located 1/2 a block from the Cathedral and the main down town plazza. Being able to walk to wherever we wanted was a big plus, on the down side, being so well located means you are in the center of the party ALL the time. This means that at 6:00am you'll very likely be woken up by the Cathedrall bells that ring every hour (sometimes more), this woke me up the first day, (but the second one I kept the balcony window close and could hardly hear them); if you are there, on weekends, the plazza has mariachis and musicians playing through the night, and if there is a wedding or any Saints day, you'll also hear many fireworks.
Besides it great location, I did found the staff very friendly and helpfull. The rooms were very clean and had a medium size, but the furniture was quite old (I've been told you could request for rooms on the "New side" of the hotel). I enjoyed the food, lunch is just OK, but breakfast is quite good. (They DO cook spicy, so be sure to tell them if you are not into HOT mexican flavor)
San Miguel is expensive, compared to other mexican towns, and I found the price was fair, considering it's in the heart of down town. I would definetly stay here again.
TIP:When you ask for a taxi, ask someone form the hotel to arrange the fee with the driver, because cabs are not expensive but they tend to overcharge foreigners.

Room Tip: The old rooms work OK, but there are newly furbished rooms upon request, but they are usually booked...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Therandomnickname
Reviewed 30 January 2012

For the second time, my friend Toby and I stayed at the Hotel Posada Carmina for 5 days in January 2012. As always it was a great value. I left a purse in the car that drove us to the airport. I called the agency, but they didn't want to take responsibility for sending it to me and suggested that I call someone I knew in San Miguel. The only people I knew were staff at Hotel Posada Carmina. So, contacted the Hotel personnel --Fernando and Leornor -- and they snapped into action. They retrieved the purse from the agency, contacted Fed Ex and arranged to have it sent to me. All this transacted through emails and phone calls. I have now have my gorgeous purse and have sweeter memories of my stay at Posada Carmina.

Room Tip: Rooms in original section are larger and more romantic.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gotogonow
Orange, California
Reviewed 12 October 2011

My co-worker recommended this hotel after she went there last year. Mom and I decided to go for one week. We booked over the phone, asked for pricing. I asked the receptionist if there was a discount for staying 7 nights, she gave us a 10% discount and basic breakfast every day while we stayed there. Prices are very reasonable. Price for a room with two full beds, with breakfast was $1386 pesos. I made my reservation over phone, receptionist informed me she would email me confirmation. Confirmation emailed to me 3 days later, and it had the full price and not discounted price, and it didn't say anything about the included breakfast. I called them, manager said they would look into why I got the full price quote. No one called me back, I called back the next day. Manager then spoked to me and informed me since that was the price I was quoted, plus a free breakfast every day, they would honor it, and they sent me another email with the correct information. Upon arriving to the hotel the receptionist informs me that it would be paid cash at the end of our stay. I told her I didn't know this, she said yes, we emailed you we need cash. I informed her that if that was the case I would've taken the money out in the US, I only had debit/credit card. Thankfully manager was standing in lobby, and heard everything and said it was fine, that we could pay with our card. We entered our room. Beautiful hotel!!! Beautiful! Historic, 1/2 block away from San Miguel Parish. 1/2 block away meaning that the bells were tolling every 15 minutes and we couldn't sleep the first night. Construction workers were working on the hotel next door at midnight. I called reception they said they couldn't do anything about outside noise. I was a little disappointed. I talked to the cleaning lady in the morning and she suggested I ask receptionist to change me to a room in the back. Another receptionist (this one friendly and accomodating) switched us to a back room immediately. Wonderful courteous receptionist. We moved within 20 minutes. Same style room, this one a little more modern. Free breakfast every morning included coffee, french bread, butter (real butter!), guava and strawberry jam, a plate of fruit or a cup of juice, and 2 eggs any style, and they included scrambled, fried, huevos rancheros, huevos divorciados, scrambled with ham, with bacon, with machaca. If you ordered your eggs Mexican style, they would also bring you tortillas. And 3 salsas all the time! The service by the wait staff was excellent, outstanding, always at hand to refill my coffee cup, fruit was fresh, plates were beautiful and food was very very tasty. I love this hotel. Downside to this hotel was the noise, it is very close to the jardin principal, main square, but this is a town that celebrates any St.'s day, so be prepared to hear the bells tolling, and fireworks during your complete stay. There are many churches in this beautiful historic, colonial town, so be prepared to hear the fireworks. All in all, would I choose this hotel again? Yes. The colonial architeture remains, the restaurant courtyard is amazing, there's a terrace upstairs you can sit on a lounge chair and relax away, hear the birds chirping.

Room Tip: If you don't want the noise from the Town Center, ask for a back room, and ask for one not next...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Brenda L
Combined Locks, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 July 2011

My Mexican Brother in law recommended and booked this hotel for my wife & I which may be why we got one of the nicer rooms. With these classic older hotels I've come to expect minor issues but we didn't have any. The plumbing worked well, towel supply was OK and everything was clean. Other posters are correct about the noise (church bells about 6AM) but we didn't let that bother us. The gentleman at the front desk gave us some good restaurant tips and overall was very accommodating. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple