“Fantastic hotel but avoid the "Pilar" room”
Review of Hotel Nena

Hotel Nena
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We just returned from a 4-night stay at Hotel Nena. The property is gorgeous but avoid the Pilar room if at all possible. Contrary to the other rooms, it has a very small bathroom and it oddly laid out. Although it has a kitchen, it had no plates or silverware. There is nowhere to sit in the room except on the bed. Sounds and smells from the adjacent restaurant kitchen leak into the room. We asked to view a downstairs room and it was beautiful so on our next visit, I will definitely request a different room. The room rates include breakfast in the courtyard restaurant and our breakfasts were absolutely delicious. Carmen, the manager, and all of the staff are very helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel but not the "Pilar" room.

Room Tip: Avoid the Pilar room!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Nena

Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel is the perfect place for a nice, modern and chic getaway! The service is extraordinary and the restaurant has exquisite food! They make homemade bread (mexican conchas) in the morning that is amazing! I defenetly recomend it! It is located very close to the Cathedral!

I have no complaints of this hotel! :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed at Hotel Nena during the Christmas break for 2 nights. We booked 2 rooms for our family and both were beautifully appointed. Generous size bedrooms and large bathrooms with L'occitane amenities. Very comfortable beds too. We arrived Christmas eve and unfortunately the restaurant was closed for the break. We did manage to have a lovely breakfast on the day of our departure. It is in a great location with just a short walk to the main square and park nearby. The Rosewood is across the road where we had a fabulous Christmas Day brunch. Would love to return

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Excelent Location, warm service, delicious food. Carmen the Manager is very helpful and always ready to make your stay an excelent expirencie. Alfredo will take care of your needs at the restaurant, every thing was delicious. My family enjoy every day of our stay, the rooms are beautiful and the beds and pillows extremly comfortable.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I spent eight nights at this absolutely gorgeous small hotel. From the moment you enter through the front entrance and walk through the beautiful adjoining (but separately managed) courtyard restaurant, you feel like you have landed in a world of understated opulence, it that isn't a contradiction in terms. You make your way to the reception area, where the most lovely and attentive manager in all of Mexico I'm sure, Carmen, has already been awaiting your arrival and has made sure that you are taken care of like a dear friend, rather than an anonymous guest.

Some rooms are on the first floor, some on the second level. I started in one on the second level and transferred to the room at the back of the first floor. A stunning, high ceiling room with beams and a field stone wall, small courtyard, and large bathroom with butler style walk-in closet. I already was feeling like a chateau resident before I even entered the room, now I was really wondering how I was going to peel myself away from this place after my week is over! The beds, by the way, are some of the most comfortable I have enjoyed in my travels.

The location is great. Everyone has their location preference, but this is across the street from the newish Rosewood hotel, and a block from beautiful Juarez Park, and walking from there to the main square (the Jardin) takes you through literally the most idyllic streets of San Miguel. I recommend you go in the direction of Juarez Park and turn left, then walk up either Aldama, Diez de Sollano or de Jesus. I walked back and forth from all three streets and took some of the best photos of my trip. The one drawback: The restaurant holds events. Loud events. Unbelievably loud events, to be clear. Two nights in a row, the disco music blared until 1:00am. I would encourage the owner of the property to reconsider this arrangement with the restaurant, both as a gesture of respect for hotel guests, and as a good business practice. Breakfast is included, and delicious, offered in the courtyard restaurant. Best little French breads in town, and good cappuccinos. Overall, enchanting place. The enlivening part is in reference to the loud events! Impossible to sleep on those nights, even in the back bedroom, but if you enjoy loud music reminiscent of the 80's and anachronistic party scenes, you are graciously welcome as a VIP, courtesy of the exquisite (and apologetic) manager.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank cbeb9
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I love going to Calenda, the restaurant/bar in La Nena Hotel. The atmosphere is wonderful, the setting fantastic (great view from the rooftop bar) . I usually go Friday night because there is great Jazz from 7pm to 9pm and I enjoy a lovely meal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sirena_Austriaca
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I was in San Miguel for a wedding in January and stayed here. It was a wonderful experience. The rooms are quite large and the bathroom is unbelievable. I definitely will be back. It is a great location if you want to shop in the center of town.

Room Tip: The two downstairs rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends