“Great new place in SMA!”
Review of Mexifran Restaurant - CLOSED

Mexifran Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I went to Mexi Fran for a party for a dear friend! We loved the place…very nice courtyard and great staff…very friendly and attentive! We ended up staying for dinner. Very tasty! Enjoyed the experience very much and we will go back!

2  Thank Asia1

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Friends and I stopped in for lunch after hearing people talk about Mexifran....plus we loved the idea of "fusion" French/Mexican! We were the only diners when we arrived and we soaked in the atmosphere! Gorgeous courtyard, brimming with flowers ....."Hollywood, Mexico", we thought!
And then the food arrived. The onion soup was actually not bad (although I recently read a negative review about it here). It reminded me of my mothers' onion soup where the broth was heavy and rich. But the other dishes and salads were disappointing. That being said, sometimes (although it pains this dedicated foodie to admit it!) it is NOT all about food...especially when sitting and enjoying such lovely ambience. Perhaps we'll give it another try....but for lunch ...where at least if the food fails to impress, the sunshine and flowers will not!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

let me start with the things I like about MexiFran- The ambience,service, lighting, location, comfortable cushioned chairs and live music all make for a most enjoyable evening and I will return for those reasons alone. i was in the mood for a light meal and ordered the french Onion soup (This is partially a French restaurant) and it arrived with plenty of french bread and melted cheese but the onion soup broth was disappointing, way too thick somewhat like gravy. My wife's salad was also under par. I tasted my friend's lasagna and it too was not nearly as good as the other Italian restaurants in town. Perhaps it was an off night and I will return.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

The salmon filet with berry sauce excellent. And they do not scrimp on deserts. We had freshly made creme brûlée and chocolate mousse.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I am chary of writing an unflattering review when the servers & owners are obviously trying hard. I counterbalance this reticence by the fact that I have parted with my hard earned dollars (or pesos as the case may be) and have squandered calories and time during this fleeting life.

San Miguel is a town of organic farms and access to be best winter / leafy greens region on earth, so it is incomprehensible why there is no French bistro salad / simple green salad on the menu. When we asked for one, we received a small plate of iceberg lettuce + canola oil + white vinegar. I made the mistake of ordering a Caprese in February--the tomatoes were gargantuan but tasteless, colorless & mealy. And yet I had a very decent organic, heirloom tomato from a local store just this week.The tomatoes were dappled with an oily, also tasteless pesto sauce rather than actual basil leaves and olive oil. The Mozzarella was OK. Moving on to the main course, we both had Sea Bass al Pastor. The primary issue with the fish was that it lacked any sort of texture--it was mushy, not unlike a mashed potato. I would hazard that it had been thawed in too rapid a manner. The sauce was overpowering, which in this case was a positive.

The wine pours were small (though the cost per glass was reasonable) and the margaritas were weak. I wouldn't return.