“Beautiful, restorative escape -- with margaritas!”

Sagrada Boutique Hotel
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My husband and I came to Sagrada to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We were looking for a beautiful, relaxing natural environment, a spa, and some yoga classes -- enough to feel good but we didn't necessarily want a "yoga-cation." Sagrada was all we had hoped for and more. Everyone at Sagrada went the extra mile (and in our case, a mini-marathon!) to accommodate us and make us feel welcome.

Blair is a consummate host, Shane works miracles with his aromatherapy massage, and Katherine manages the place as she does her yoga classes -- with grace, strength, fluidity and tranquility.

Thanks to the flexibility of the staff and owners, we were able to design our own retreat -- yoga in the morning, massages in the afternoon, margaritas at night! We also squeezed in a couple of trips to the beautiful town of San Miguel de Allende, about 20 minutes away, and to the awesome hot springs.

Our casita was huge and luxurious, with splendid views and well worth the hike up the mountain. We were a little worried about the "healthful" cuisine before we arrived -- my husband is an avowed meat eater -- but Beatrice literally blew us away at every meal with her sophisticated cooking, extracting maximum flavor from simple preparations without relying heavily on meat, cream and cheese. (My husband did get his taco fix when we ventured into town.)

I would highly recommend a stay at Sagrada for a relaxing, restorative vacation or even a day trip from San Miguel. I have traveled extensively outside the United States (although not much in Mexico) and have worked as a professional travel and food writer. In my experience I have found few places that are as luxurious as they are warm and homey in spirit. Sagrada is that rare combination.

Room Tip: We stayed in Casa Romantica, the largest casita with the most spectacular views. It is, however, a g...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 August 2011

I had the pleasure of spending 5 blissful days at Sagrada. If you are looking to detach yourself from the grind, this gorgeous ranch tucked up in the hills above San Miguel is the perfect place to do it. Being my first trip to Mexico and traveling alone, I was a bit nervous, but any fears were quickly assuaged by Blair, Shane and Katherine. I felt like I was part of the family. Everyone was so inviting and friendly and they exceeded my expectations at every turn. Blair and Shane have such a great energy and the plans for Sagrada will only make the experience more amazing in the future. Be sure to get a massage (or four) from Shane. Your body will be forever grateful.

Katherine is such a kind and supportive yoga instructor. She really challenged me to expand my practice. I was lucky enough to have several private sessions (in the amazing open-air yoga pavilion) and left each one with a deep feeling of calm and focus. Katherine is also a wonderful "cruise director", setting up fun excursions to the local hot springs (do not miss the chance to go) and into San Miguel to wander in the market. She'll also take you on a hike up to the top of the ridge, another not-to-be-missed event.

The ranch itself is simply beautiful. The grounds and landscaping are spectacular. I was lucky enough to be there during the rainy season, so the flowers were in bloom. The food was unbelievably delicious. Somehow every meal was better than the last. I stayed in Sonoma, which is tucked in a quite corner near the sauna and spa buildings. The accommodations were charming and comfortable, not to mention the gorgeous views. I would sit up on the counter at night and watch the thunderstorms roll across the valley. Breathtaking!

If you have the chance to stay at Sagrada, you will not be disappointed. I cannot recommend it enough, nor can I do it justice with words. It was very hard to say goodbye. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank emelef
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I visited Sagrada in late July for a yoga/pilates retreat (my first one) with my friend and her husband. It was exactly what I needed in a vacation: rest, relaxation, amazing people, great food, and adventure. And on top of all of this, daily yoga, and pilates, to keep me on track! When we left, we all said that reteats are the only way to vacation from now on!
Everyone was so nice, and accommodating, you become a little family in just a few days! Each casita is unique and cozy. All of the food is fresh, healthy, and homecooked! The yoga and pilates classes are great for everyone, from beginners to pros. Nicole was the retreat leader during my trip and she offered individual attention and modifications for everyone. The property is located in the hills above the charming colonial town of San Miguel de Allende. It is a must to visit the town while you are there. We also spent a few hours in Guanjuato on the way back to the airport. We wish we could have had a couple of extra days to explore the city. The area as so much to see and offer! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Sagrada is a truly beautiful facility, located high in the hills overlooking San Miguel. The landscaping challenges that of any botanical garden. Among its many charms are guest houses nestled in the mountainside. Our lunch was delicious, carefully prepared from scratch by the talented chef to create an amazing combination of healthful and flavorful selections. It is a toss up as to which was more enjoyable, yoga under Katherine's guidance or massage at the gifted hands of Shane. It is clear that no effort has been spared in assuring Sagrada guests a fabulous, memorable experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank mizmarsha
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Four of us who live in San Miguel de Allende drove a short distance outside of town to spend the day in the lovely country setting of Sagada Wellness. What a treat! Katherine tailored the most relaxing yoga class for us in the open air pavilion looking out on the gorgeous countryside. They followed this with a delicious lunch on the porch. Whether its a day trip or a yoga retreat these folks are so gracious and welcoming -we will definitely be back.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank CAJ501
Reviewed 9 August 2011

A very special place to lose yourself & melt away the cares of your everyday life. My 3 friends & I were given a great experience & Katherine took us through a wonderful yoga session. Well articulated and soothingly presented. I personally am a newbie to yoga and found the one and a half hour session challenging, but not out of my abilities. From yoga to a delicious vegetarian lunch, all of us going back for seconds followed by a demonstration (from Blair, one of the new owners) of the inversion machine to stretch your back & improve posture. The beauty of the place & it's closeness to a collection of hot springs adds to the pleasure. i would recommend it highly, for a day or a longer getaway.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MGM01
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We all live in Puerto Vallarta and love San Miguel de Allende. After staying in 'Centro",
San Miguel we decided to try Sagrada Wellness just outside the city overlooking the
spectacular lights and countryside. Many of our close friends had recommended Sagrada.
it was wonderfully quiet, no fireworks or bells every 15 minutes (quaint and charming unless you need your sleep!), We were blessed our first night with a spectacular lightning show and some rain creating the most heavenly, aromatic earthy smells. Listening to the warm wind through the trees while we all sat on the huge front terrace of the "lodge" making friends with the other, eclectic, fascinating guests from around the world.
Up early the next day, we all did an amazing hike while our vibrant and fun host, Veda pointed out the sights and rich history of this property. There is a huge 500 year old hand dug well on it as well as the treatment room and massive sauna built into restored Jesuit
ruins from the 1600s. So UNIQUE!
The property is an adventure to explore (15 acres) and the architecture is brilliant. The food is healthy yet "rich" in a good way! (We are all foodies!) My passion is exploring hot springs and ventured to 5 different "agua thermales" within a 15 minute drive from Sagrada. La Gruta and Escondido are our favorites. Swim back though hot water grottos to a huge kiva dome room with hot mineral water shooting out of the top of the dome-what a massage!
Spent 2 days exploring our favorite and best shopping Colonial City, San Miguel de Allende. Don't miss dinner back at Sagrada though!
We all had spa and massage treatments daily (hey, we're on vacation!) and were superior to almost all that I have had on my many travels.
Bob, our other host, stayed up and joked, told great stories and patiently answered my numerous questions about this paradise.
If you want a special, healthy, safe and unique vacation then Sagrada Wellness should be numero uno! We are also going to try out Sagrada Ojai California when we go this fall.
Heard it has the same wonderful energy.

Room Tip: All so unique! If a group stay in the Casa Grande.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends