“How to Unwind with Friends”

Sagrada Boutique Hotel
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Two friends and I spent the better part of the day enjoying the beautiful, peaceful and calming jewel called Sagrada Wellness. We went for yoga and lunch, but there was so much more that made our visit wonderful. Sagrada's expansive property is unobtrusively nestled in the sirene countryside and about 20-30 minutes' drive from the heart of San Miguel de Allende. We walked along lovely stone pathways lined everywhere with beautiful, native plants and trees that are meticulously cared for. The landscaping is a joy and bears the professional signature of Sagrada co-owner Blair, who had a long career as an architectural landscaper. The guest accommodations and facilities such as sauna rooms are elegant in their simplicity and focus on natural materials, such as adobe, stone, ancient mesquite wood ... clearly, great attention to detail has been made with regard to historic Mexican design. Yoga takes place in a spacious, open-sided pavilion with a sweeping panoramic view of the countryside and the mountains beyond. Mats and other accoutrements are provided; you need only bring yourself in comfortable clothes. There is water provided as well. Lunch was healthy, delicious, and more than ample even with second helpings, which we all had. I would go back for the lunch alone, but that's not to detract from my yoga experience at all. Living in San Miguel is a treat. Spending the better part of a day at Sagrada Wellness was the (healthy) icing on the cake.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank LXSW

Reviewed 25 August 2011

I went with some friends to experience a "Yoga Retreat". When we drove into the parking lot something happened that I had never experienced before! I got out of the car, looked at the view from the registration area and started to cry---from a feeling that I had finally found a place in Mexico like nothing I had ever seen before. This resort is so spectacular that words can not discribe it. It must be "seen" and " experienced" to understand. From the yoga sessions to the amazing hikes to the "family" meals to the most wonderful room it was truley an amazing weekend! I can't wait to return to visit my new friend "Bodie" one of four "local" dogs that became a great friend. He actually smiles at you when he greets you!! I loved the resort and can't wait to return again!!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms--they are all so comfortabe.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I can’t say enough wonderful things about Sagrada Wellness! I had the most amazing 5 days filled with yoga, running, yummy healthy food, relaxation, and adventure. If you’re looking for an escape that has a mix of relaxation and healthy activity, this is the place for you. You immediately feel a sense of calm upon arrival as the beautiful intimate accommodations are set on a breathtaking ranch in the hills outside of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.

Katherine (the yoga instructor and retreat coordinator) is a gem and really makes the trip! Not only is she an incredible yoga instructor, she has developed fun ways to create a yoga “boot camp” on the ranch grounds…should you wish to partake and push yourself. Katherine also arranges fun (affordable) adventures and activities during your stay…visit to the local Hot Springs (a must!), mani/pedi onsite while sitting on the patio enjoying the view, onsite facial and massage (Shane has magical hands!), hike to the top of the mountain, a guided visit into the town of San Miguel de Allende where we explored the lush markets and amazing food vendors, and she even arranged for me to have two Spanish lessons by a local instructor…the variety of optional activities doesn’t stop there with horseback riding, local volunteering, and more offered.

The new owners, Shane and Blair, are super fun and full of energy that will make this little perfect piece of heaven even better…which is hard for me to imagine as it’s already so great! Not to mention…the food was delicious and healthy, and the variety was surprising. Needless to say, every part of Sagrada is amazing and you will not be disappointed if you visit. I hated saying goodbye and will definitely find my way back to Sagrada!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My husband and I came to Sagrada to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We were looking for a beautiful, relaxing natural environment, a spa, and some yoga classes -- enough to feel good but we didn't necessarily want a "yoga-cation." Sagrada was all we had hoped for and more. Everyone at Sagrada went the extra mile (and in our case, a mini-marathon!) to accommodate us and make us feel welcome.

Blair is a consummate host, Shane works miracles with his aromatherapy massage, and Katherine manages the place as she does her yoga classes -- with grace, strength, fluidity and tranquility.

Thanks to the flexibility of the staff and owners, we were able to design our own retreat -- yoga in the morning, massages in the afternoon, margaritas at night! We also squeezed in a couple of trips to the beautiful town of San Miguel de Allende, about 20 minutes away, and to the awesome hot springs.

Our casita was huge and luxurious, with splendid views and well worth the hike up the mountain. We were a little worried about the "healthful" cuisine before we arrived -- my husband is an avowed meat eater -- but Beatrice literally blew us away at every meal with her sophisticated cooking, extracting maximum flavor from simple preparations without relying heavily on meat, cream and cheese. (My husband did get his taco fix when we ventured into town.)

I would highly recommend a stay at Sagrada for a relaxing, restorative vacation or even a day trip from San Miguel. I have traveled extensively outside the United States (although not much in Mexico) and have worked as a professional travel and food writer. In my experience I have found few places that are as luxurious as they are warm and homey in spirit. Sagrada is that rare combination.

Room Tip: We stayed in Casa Romantica, the largest casita with the most spectacular views. It is, however, a g...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I had the pleasure of spending 5 blissful days at Sagrada. If you are looking to detach yourself from the grind, this gorgeous ranch tucked up in the hills above San Miguel is the perfect place to do it. Being my first trip to Mexico and traveling alone, I was a bit nervous, but any fears were quickly assuaged by Blair, Shane and Katherine. I felt like I was part of the family. Everyone was so inviting and friendly and they exceeded my expectations at every turn. Blair and Shane have such a great energy and the plans for Sagrada will only make the experience more amazing in the future. Be sure to get a massage (or four) from Shane. Your body will be forever grateful.

Katherine is such a kind and supportive yoga instructor. She really challenged me to expand my practice. I was lucky enough to have several private sessions (in the amazing open-air yoga pavilion) and left each one with a deep feeling of calm and focus. Katherine is also a wonderful "cruise director", setting up fun excursions to the local hot springs (do not miss the chance to go) and into San Miguel to wander in the market. She'll also take you on a hike up to the top of the ridge, another not-to-be-missed event.

The ranch itself is simply beautiful. The grounds and landscaping are spectacular. I was lucky enough to be there during the rainy season, so the flowers were in bloom. The food was unbelievably delicious. Somehow every meal was better than the last. I stayed in Sonoma, which is tucked in a quite corner near the sauna and spa buildings. The accommodations were charming and comfortable, not to mention the gorgeous views. I would sit up on the counter at night and watch the thunderstorms roll across the valley. Breathtaking!

If you have the chance to stay at Sagrada, you will not be disappointed. I cannot recommend it enough, nor can I do it justice with words. It was very hard to say goodbye. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank emelef
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I visited Sagrada in late July for a yoga/pilates retreat (my first one) with my friend and her husband. It was exactly what I needed in a vacation: rest, relaxation, amazing people, great food, and adventure. And on top of all of this, daily yoga, and pilates, to keep me on track! When we left, we all said that reteats are the only way to vacation from now on!
Everyone was so nice, and accommodating, you become a little family in just a few days! Each casita is unique and cozy. All of the food is fresh, healthy, and homecooked! The yoga and pilates classes are great for everyone, from beginners to pros. Nicole was the retreat leader during my trip and she offered individual attention and modifications for everyone. The property is located in the hills above the charming colonial town of San Miguel de Allende. It is a must to visit the town while you are there. We also spent a few hours in Guanjuato on the way back to the airport. We wish we could have had a couple of extra days to explore the city. The area as so much to see and offer! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Sagrada is a truly beautiful facility, located high in the hills overlooking San Miguel. The landscaping challenges that of any botanical garden. Among its many charms are guest houses nestled in the mountainside. Our lunch was delicious, carefully prepared from scratch by the talented chef to create an amazing combination of healthful and flavorful selections. It is a toss up as to which was more enjoyable, yoga under Katherine's guidance or massage at the gifted hands of Shane. It is clear that no effort has been spared in assuring Sagrada guests a fabulous, memorable experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends