“Sanctuary”
Review of L'Otel

L'Otel
Reviewed 16 November 2010

A beautiful small hotel with magnificent decor, personal service and a great location. This was our second stay. Our favorite things about the Oasis are the staff and the amazing breakfasts. Well, maybe the rooftop garden area too!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for L'Otel

Reviewed 10 September 2010

My husband and I just spent 3 nights here last week and can't say enough good things about The Oasis. First of all, the location is perfect, just two blocks from the Jardin, but far enough away so the church bells aren't a problem at night . You step through the front door and the smell of flowers wafts up at you. We poked our heads into each of the four bedrooms at some point, and they're all beautifully appointed, with big, comfortable beds and a quirky but sophisticated mix of antiques and collectible art from all over the world. There is a cool and calm sitting room where we enjoyed Juan's great margaritas and snacks one afternoon. There's no restaurant (San Miguel abounds in great places to eat) but the breakfasts (included) were amazing--we had everything from cinnamon french toast to chilaquiles and various Mexican eggs dishes. The service was unobtrusive and uniformly kind. When the waitress discovered that I liked milk in my coffee, for example, she began warming the milk each morning. The front desk staff will answer any questions you have and help you in anyway possible. And here's a tip: the hotel has its own car service available for trips to and from the aiport in Leon--it cost us $75 for two on our return instead of $60 for the shuttle van, but was definitely worth it, since you get to leave closer to your flight time and ride in real comfort. I have stayed at--and looked at-- several other places in San Miguel, and would definitely rank this at the top.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2010

My husband and I just returned from the most magical visit to SanMiguel de Allende. The Oasis and its staff were even more flawless than we expected. The rooms are authentic to the region and beautifully appointed, yet full of modern comforts (great shower, cushy robes and towels, rich bath products and fluffy pillows). The staff works like a quiet, well oiled machine and the breakfast....well...what can I say.? My taste buds never had it so good. The recommended dishes from the region were fresh, beautiful and customized to our desires. The plates of fruit were like Mexican rainbows. We felt as though we were guests at a very exclusive private residence that lacked even a hint of snobbery. I cannot imagine anything better. Every need, no matter how small, was adressed by the staff even before we realized we had the need. If you go for tasteful, understated elegance, great food and help with your Spanish, stay here. It is well worth the price. Wow. When can I go again?

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2010

For discerning travelers who appreciate attention to detail, Oasis is exactly what its name spells out. The property is exquisitely decorated and the suites have well designed ambient lighting. The staff were very professional and friendly without being overbearing, the chambermaid takes care of your laundry, and the little treats left at turn down were nice and varied. The bed is among the best I’ve slept in and those wonderful Egyptian cotton sheets have become my personal obsession. Breakfast is tailored to your expectations and always beautifully served. The hotel has wifi, cable tv, and a laptop for guests to use. If I had to nitpick, my only gripe was the phone at reception which would not stop ringing at eight in the morning, not very conducive to a lie in. I would also avoid using the transport company recommended by the hotel - by no means can the Oasis be accountable for that company's staff and service and, having said that, other guests might have had good experiences but both our transfers had flaws. All in all, the Oasis ticked most of our boxes – perfect location, refined ambiance, excellent service from pre-booking through departure, and made our stay in San Miguel de Allende a very special one indeed.

1  Thank knaz
Reviewed 22 April 2010

My husband and I arrived at Oasis and were immediately greeted by the most warm and friendly hotel staff I have ever encountered. The hotel is small, only four rooms and the experience is like being welcomed into a luxurious family home - a family that is intent on making your stay with them the as comfortable as possible, that all your needs are met, while making sure that your privacy is always respected. The hotel is a restored colonial home.....a perfect jewel.... right in the middle of historico centro, yet it is peaceful and a haven of tranquility. We loved it!

Reviewed 8 April 2010

This darling little gem not far from il Centro was a delight. My nephew and his wife stayed there and I joined them for breakfast and hanging out between my brother's wedding rehearsal etc. The breakfast chicken mole was wonderful and the extra touches, like little silver pitcher toothpick holders were lovely. The courtyard was quietly elegant and off to the side, the library was filled with carefully selected antiques which added a beautiful touch. There was a soft waterfall again a stone wall near the bedroom with unusual windows shutters which added a european aura. Don't forget to stock up on the herbal body creme, it's amazing! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2010

This was our second time visiting the Oasis. I think the thing I appreciate the most about Oasis is that even though it is a 300 year old building in a small town in a borderline 3rd world country the hotel owners do not expect you to compromise. While the experience feels authentic the finishes in the rooms are Restoration Hardware (no kidding, I checked the labels). We stayed in the Berber room and really enjoyed everything about it. The location of the hotel in perfect. The breakfast each morning was tastey. The staff is perfect. The owners are present and helpfull.

We've been to San Miguel before, will go back again and I can't imagine staying anywhere else.