“Colorful & Charming but May Lack Modern Conveniences” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Carly

and 1 more site!
Casa Carly
Palos Verdes Estates, California
“Colorful & Charming but May Lack Modern Conveniences”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

Here is a breakdown of my stay:

Convenience: 3 stars. First of all, when I arrived in the early morning, I had to ring several times at the front gate, to no avail. I thought we'd be stuck in the street with our luggage, but fortunately my friend was able to use her cell phone (with roaming charges) to reach the owner, who buzzed us inside. Also, it's walking distance to the city center, but I wouldn't recommend that walk late at night or in heels. There's a bit of an upward slope, all cobblestone streets, and a tad further from the town center than a lot of other hotels.

Style/Design: 5 stars. Super charming and colorful. The little courtyard within the entrance gate is like a small oasis. Beautiful--just what you'd want to experience in Mexico!

Comfort: 2 stars. This low ranking is mostly the result of no hot water during the 2nd day of my stay. I tried several times to reach hot water throughout the day, to no avail. I ended up taking a cold shower that night, which was definitely not nice considering I had just come down with a flu. This establishment provides soap and bottled water, but do come prepared with everything else you will need (shampoo, blow dryer, etc.). The large bed is actually two twins put together. They are fairly short (my husband and I are tall), and rather hard and uncomfortable. The duvet was nice, though. Also, I happened to be in town during a festival, so the street noise was quite loud at all hours of the night. The owner's dog may also bark when you're trying to nap.

Hospitality: 5 stars. Very friendly owner and staff. I am sure they'd be willing to help out with questions about the city or how to get around.

Value: 4 stars. Pretty fair prices. While breakfast is not included, I would highly recommend dining there for brunch. The food and drinks were fabulous at the in-house cafe, service was great, prices were fair, and it was conveniently located right next to my casita. Enjoy the scenic outdoors while dining.

Overall ranking: 3.8 stars...or rounded up...4 stars.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Diane C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Scottsdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

My wife, 14 year old son and I stayed here for a couple nights in July. We loved the room--it was almost like an apartment, with a nice sized living area. Having a semi-separate room with bunkbeds for the kid worked out great for us. The place has a nice, mellow vibe and all the staff were tremendously helpful. For the price, there may not be a better deal in SM.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank stellabluedog
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

I stayed at Casa Carly for 4 nights at the end of July, 2011. This is my second stay there and it works perfectly for me--a folk art business owner on a buying trip to SMA and the surrounding area. The B&B is lovely--large rooms, decorated with humor and folk art, quiet and clean. It is on the end of town closest to the artisan's market and on the road that leads to Delores Hidalgo and Guanajuato. Carly and her assistant, Carlos, were beyond helpful in solving some shipping related issues for my purchases. The cafe is delicious and although not included in the rate, it is very reasonable. I loved the French toast and the yogurt/granola/fresh fruit combo. I got a very good deal on the daily rate by following them on Facebook...perfect for me and I will be back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ragamd
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

I stayed here with a group of students from Canada doing Practicum work in San Miguel.
We used 5 of the rooms there and had an arrangement to have our meals included. The food was FANTASTIC. Fresh fruits, freshly juiced juices every meal, dessert, and delicious main courses. We had some people in our group that had food limitations and the staff were very watchful of that.The staff were very friendly and VERY helpful, fresh bottled water was brought to our rooms each day, our beds made up, and rooms cleaned daily. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were spacious. There were 3 of us in the room we were in and we had plenty of space. There were 3 seperate beds, a kitchen area, a bathroom and a large seating area as well as an outside bistro table and chairs. The gardens were beautiful and we saw hummingbirds and butterflies all the time. The staff even helped us out with a bit of Spanish, allowed us to conduct meetings at the end of our day in the restaurant and set up a few excursions for us such as Salsa dancing lessons and a day trip to the Pyramids. The little piece of heaven was also very near, within walking distance, of the city centre where nightly entertainment happened. The bank was close by as well as a very tasty ice cream shop!!
I would go back and stay at this establishment anytime as I had a wonderful experience and would highly recommend this for any travellers.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

I have stayed here a few times over the years. I so look forward to staying there when passing through San Miguel. It's always the highlight of my trip. In addition to being utterly charming, the staff is truly top notch and you cannot beat the location. It is just a few short blocks from San Miguel's famous and plentiful handicrafts market (where you will likely make daily trips!) and the town square (the jardin) is just a few blocks farther - giving you time to explore stores, cafes, and architecture as you set out and return throughout the day. San Miguel is a walkable city and this is a great location - close, but not too close and quiet so you can really relax in the evening.

The casitas (cottages) themselves are remarkable. Each is decorated with Mexican folk art, designed with in the traditional style of Mexico with gorgeous tiles and invitingly bright colors. I find the large bottle of filtered water (which they will refill for you) and the kitchenette to be perfect for a traveler's needs.

Since I have come over the years, I have seen the great care the owner takes in improvements. The garden is just lovely. The cafe (Cafe Yenatu) is now a fully operating restaurant for breakfast and lunch - just delicious! I recommend the poached eggs with chipotle mango sauce! Guests can also spend time in the restaurant area other times - books and videos are available to read/watch there or you can take them to your room.

I saw some of the other reviews and have to say I am pretty surprised. This is Mexico - king size beds in Mexico are exactly how they are has assembled here and part of living in Latin America is dealing with the cold by wearing layers (central heat is not the norm) - that's just the way it is. Given those comments, I wanted to share my experience and mention that I have never been disappointed by Casa Carly (the new name for what was Casa Crayola). It is a true gem in the heart of Mexico. Don't miss this charming place!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MichelinaF
Boulder
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

My husband and I just returned home from a two- week stay at Casa Crayola. We always like to get out of Colorado in the winter. This was our fifth time staying at this real find! Casa Crayola continues to be a terrific, warm and friendly place. And the price is unbeatable!
We always pop in and out of other hotels, out of curiosity, and we always are glad that we are at Crayola. You can find equally charming places, but you'll pay double!
I was planning to just write a quick review, in appreciation of the lovely atmosphere and hospitality. However, I am appalled by the review that was just written here on trip advisor. . It happens that our visit was in the same time frame as this other visitor.
This is January in San Miguel. Gardens are not at their peek in December and January. Despite that, I saw the gardener there every morning and the entire garden looked charming--as good as anyone could expect in the winter. There were yellow flowers all around the central fountain. And there were purple flowers in bloom. One tree was without leaves, but it is a deciduous tree.
The beds are comfortable. The rooms are all VERY spacious. (We've stayed in 4 of them and have seen the other three) So, it is with great dismay that I read a review that is detrimental. There is one suite that consists of one room--the others all have two rooms. My guess is that the previous reviewer was in casita #4. It is smaller, but it is a spacious room and is one of my favorites.
And, as I mentioned in my review in 2007, when you open the gate to this property you just break out smiling!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joni3
Southeast US
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

Really, like most of San Miguel, this place is overrated and overpriced. This place was so tiny! We had to squeeze our way from the sitting room/kitchen to the bed to the shower. Not even a bedroom. Just a bed. The bed was hard and lumpy. It was two single beds jammed together. The decor in the sitting area was nice but the bedding was frumpy. Two gas burners and a huge bottle of filtered water - well, that was the kitchenette. The casitas were very interestingly built around a courtyard, but the courtyard was filled with dead plants and looked terrible. The manager and owner were very friendly and nice, but that didn't make up for the fact that this was a pathetic stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gypsyr0se
changosauria, Owner at Casa Carly, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
I'm very sorry that this couple did not enjoy their stay with us. We certainly enjoyed the conversations we had with them. I've designed, built and decorated all of the casitas to my personal colorful and playful taste and with amenities that I look for when I travel. All of our kitchenettes are equipped with a half-size refrigerator, microwave, 2-burner gas stove, coffee maker, built-in sink/counter decorated with handmade tiles from Dolores Hidalgo, and are equipped with basic pots, pans, utensils, etc... Sheets and linens are of a high count with duvets and hand-made bed spreads. Guests should be aware that mid-November through the end of January is San Miguel's "winter". Compared with other places, winter is mild here. But nights can be quite chilly and occasionally down to freezing. Therefore, plants and flowers are not in full bloom at that time. Some plants are green year-round while others lose their leaves and do not flower. Spring typically begins in February. Jacaranda trees bloom in March if you'd like to plan your trip to coincide with the blooming of these flaming purple trees. Summer months and early fall are typically very flowery and green months in San Miguel