“Casa Carly Happiness”

Casa Carly
San Diego, California
“Casa Carly Happiness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Casa Carly was comfortable, cozy, clean and very friendly. Conveniently located within walking distance of the main jardin.....this is a quiet and beautiful hotel. Meet San Miguel de Allende visitors from all over the world, take advantage of the fabulous breakfast restaurant---on site---Cafe Yenatu---and immerse yourself in all that Mexico's "number one city to visit" has to offer you. Thank you Carly and Jesus for making our stay most enjoyable.....we shall return!!! By the way, on the menu....the french toast is indeed "the best ever".

Room Tip: Reserve this hotel early......they are busy and their secret is out. ((nice and small.....only six...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

I have stayed at Casa Carly myself and with groups I've led to San Miguel, probably about 6 weeks in past 9 years. The place is beautiful and well-kept and each time I go, there are new additions. The rooms are comfortable and well-decorated. There is a small restaurant that serves excellent food prepared by a local cook, just the right touch of authentic cooking. I plan to spend many more days there in the coming years.

Room Tip: you really can't pick a bad room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Les L
changosauria, Owner at Casa Carly, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thanks! We love having groups stay with us. We are happy to arrange meals, transportation, classes, or anything that might help a guest or group fulfill their goals. The casitas can be set up in a way that accommodates singles, couples, families, student groups or a bunch of singles! Thanks again for writing a review, we love having your college groups join us, and I particularly love how supportive of the community your groups are.
Redmond, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

My husand and I recently returned from a 2 week trip to Mexico. While in San Miguel de Allende, we had the good fortune to have booked a casita at the wonderful Casa Carly, only a 10 minute walk from the center of town. Do you like color? Do you like being surrounded by beautiful plants and gardens and a fountain? This lovely group of casitas is a cool, quiet and lovely oasis from the work of being a tourist. We stayed in Casita #7 for 5 days and loved our place. Each casita is different and charming. Carly is a fine hostess and her staff is attentive, helpful, and always cheerful and nice. I must mention her breakfasts. You can eat in her lovely dining room or at one of the tables in the garden. The food is really good and fresh. We love Casa Carly and will recommend it to anyone looking for a unique and beautiful place to stay in San Miguel de Allende. We stayed at 4 different hotels duirng our trip and Casa Carly was the best. Special thanks to Jesus who helped us arrange our bus trip to Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: All the casitas are great - we were in Casita #7 which was very quiet and had a nice terrace.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
changosauria, Owner at Casa Carly, responded to this review, 23 February 2013
Thanks for writing a review here in this format! We changed our name from Casa Crayola to Casa Carly about three years ago, but we've so far been unsuccessful at changing our name on our tripadvisor account. It has been hard for guests to find us in this forum and write reviews. Thanks! We loved having you and look forward to your return in the future!
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

We just got back from San Miguel having stayed at what is now called Casa Carly. We were in Casista #1 which backs up to the street so it may not have been as quiet as some of the others. However, it was spacious and had most everything we needed. Bring your own hair dryer as those are not provided. I will say that the bed was not all that comfortable but there are also 2 beds that serve as sofas in the living room that you can switch to. The breakfast which is not included is very good. There is a green smoothie drink that is awesome. Cookies are baked each day. Get those, they are the best! Staff is very sweet and helpful. Having been to SMA before, I feel that it is pretty centrally located for the walk. Not far to the Jardin, maybe 10 minutes.

Room Tip: Casista #1 backs up to the road. If you can get an interior one, it would be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

Loved staying here! The rooms are large and colorful. The owner is a delightful human being who is American and was willing to share ideas about where to go and what to see while there. There is a small cafe on the premises but I did not eat there. I was able to walk where I needed to go. My friend was able to do a lot of fun things while I was in a conference. I checked in without problems other then the key was a small situation and perhaps has been updated. The room has a kitchen with the basics. Staff was always helpful. Starbucks is up the hill and was a great walk in the morning. There is a spa there which I did not get to visit but when I go back I will be there. Many classes at the spa. Life is a slow pace in San Miguel. My stay was in March 2009 and I could not get to that date.

Room Tip: The owner will assist you with this.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

I was in SMA for 10 days in early November. My room (casita #3) was colorful, comfortable and roomy in a very thoughtful and artistic way. I was greeted by Carlos who was helpful in getting me situated for the night, and who brought me an Advil at breakfast the next AM and patiently diagramed maps and pointed me to easy and convenient places to change money, get my bearings and get to my class location. The grounds were beautiful ( I took more pictures at Casa Carly than out in town---and it is a beautiful town)...and like a private oasis.

One amenity I really appreciated was having a 5 gal cooler of bottled water on the kitchen counter! It helped me stay hydrated and other people I knew stayed in places where they had to buy their bottled water. What a nice treat --a great way to treat their guests.

Room Tip: Casita #6 was quieter and more spacious. I stayed there the first night. Casita #3 was a beautif...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Palos Verdes Estates, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

Here is a breakdown of my stay:

Convenience: 3 stars. First of all, when I arrived in the early morning, I had to ring several times at the front gate, to no avail. I thought we'd be stuck in the street with our luggage, but fortunately my friend was able to use her cell phone (with roaming charges) to reach the owner, who buzzed us inside. Also, it's walking distance to the city center, but I wouldn't recommend that walk late at night or in heels. There's a bit of an upward slope, all cobblestone streets, and a tad further from the town center than a lot of other hotels.

Style/Design: 5 stars. Super charming and colorful. The little courtyard within the entrance gate is like a small oasis. Beautiful--just what you'd want to experience in Mexico!

Comfort: 2 stars. This low ranking is mostly the result of no hot water during the 2nd day of my stay. I tried several times to reach hot water throughout the day, to no avail. I ended up taking a cold shower that night, which was definitely not nice considering I had just come down with a flu. This establishment provides soap and bottled water, but do come prepared with everything else you will need (shampoo, blow dryer, etc.). The large bed is actually two twins put together. They are fairly short (my husband and I are tall), and rather hard and uncomfortable. The duvet was nice, though. Also, I happened to be in town during a festival, so the street noise was quite loud at all hours of the night. The owner's dog may also bark when you're trying to nap.

Hospitality: 5 stars. Very friendly owner and staff. I am sure they'd be willing to help out with questions about the city or how to get around.

Value: 4 stars. Pretty fair prices. While breakfast is not included, I would highly recommend dining there for brunch. The food and drinks were fabulous at the in-house cafe, service was great, prices were fair, and it was conveniently located right next to my casita. Enjoy the scenic outdoors while dining.

Overall ranking: 3.8 stars...or rounded up...4 stars.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple