“Don't miss this picturesque Mexican city!”

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Evansville, Indiana
16 helpful votes
“Don't miss this picturesque Mexican city!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

I loved this town!! I had been traveling throughout Mexico for one month when we discovered this beautiful colonial city. Everything was picturesque there! And after only eating Mexican food for several weeks I was so happy to find a club sandwich and french fries on a menu...and they were homemade fries! There is a Starbucks and many nice coffee shops. It has a large American population of artists and writers which influences the culture somewhat. There is wonderful shopping here with very reasonable prices. One can find extremely interesting unique pieces of folk and contemporary art and collectibles. Don't miss going to the artist galleries and workshops in La Aurora. Overall I can't praise this city enough. It was my favorite of all the cities I visited in Mexico. Lastly, you can't take a bad photograph here. Everything is lovely and very quaint.

2 Thank indygringa
San Francisco, California
8 helpful votes
“Penzi Weddings: San Miguel de Allende”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

My husband and I got married in March in San Miguel de Allende, and Penzi Weddings took care of all of our wedding coordination, from the church ceremony paperwork to the flowers, from the reception decorations and table settings to the catering and cake. Our welcome party, held two days prior to our wedding, was also organized by Penzi, and all of our guests enjoyed the drinks, the endless tapas and the view from Instituto Allende.
We took a leap of faith and planned our weekend events entirely through email and phone conversations site unseen and food untasted, and we couldn't have been more pleased with the results. Guadalupe and her assistant, Meengan, are gems to work with. Both are extremely professional, creative, knowledgeable, and friendly. We were able to send pictures of what we liked, while they took care of all the details and carried out our vision far beyond our expectations.
Our wedding party to this day still compliments us on a fun filled wedding weekend, and we have Guadalupe to thank for all the behind the scenes work that made this occasion such a wonderful success.
We definitely would recommend Penzi Weddings to anyone who has any special event to plan. They make the process simple, fun, and stress- free. And their work is gorgeous!
By the way, the margaritas at our reception were top notch! Don't miss out on those!

7 Thank apsara15
Boulder, Colorado
4 helpful votes
“House & garden tour--not what it used to be!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2008

Unfortunately, the homes tour has morphed into a visit to "trophy homes", frequently outside the city limits, and many times taking you to commercial establishments: B&B's, homes for sale or rent, cooking school venues, etc. What was once a charming glimpse of the abodes of real people who did their own decorating--with all the foibles that entails--has now become a page out of Architectural Digest. Owners used to be present to talk to guests as they went through their home. I seldom see that now. (I've been going on the tour for over ten years.) One used to go through a minimum of three homes; now it's often just two. Even so, the fact that the income from this activity benefits local students encourages one to participate. But it doesn't have the appeal it once did.

1 Thank alphaboulder
Toronto, Canada
76 helpful votes
“Quirky, Charming, Artist/Expat Colony”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2008

You either love San Miguel and end up buying a house there or you hate it and end up buying a house anywhere but in San Miguel. The polarization of opinion about San Miguel will give you a clue if you should go there or not. If you like "natural", "authentic", "unspoiled places full of local colour" then I was suggest you try Patzcuaro. If you want all the comfort of home with some of the discomfort of travelling in a foreign county then you will love San Miguel.

Either point of view prejudges travel. I have been surprised that the word Gringo is used by a certain type of Gringo to show disdain for Stuff Gringos Like. By the same token other Gringos seems to believe that some expats have entered the Heart of Darkness and fully assimilated into the culture even to the point of speaking Spanish.

I am in the middle group. I like San Miguel for the very reasons some like it and some hate it. I can get the comfort of home but experience Mexican culture at the same time. San MIguel is the perfect stepping stone for further travels in Mexico. It is like staying at 9000 feet for a few days before you travel to higher altitudes.

It has a large enough expat community that the critical mass needed for an English Speaking Arts Community to flourish. It is nice to be able to go to a play in English. Yet there are enough language schools to start you on your road to another language. (I took Level 1 Warren Hardy and found it brilliant and was speaking Spanish the first week).

It is a nice base to explore the outlying communities such as Guanajuato, Queretaro and Dolores Hidalgo.

Rent a house that you can find on line by typing in Houses to Rent San MIguel De Allende. They are expensive but not more than a hotel would cost for a lot more room.

The restaurants are varied and culinary delights for any foodie. Many have a delightful twist on traditional Mexican foods.

You can take art courses and fill you day with lots of activities.

I have done a blog on this you can find my typing Gangs of San Miguel. It is irreverent but behind it is my great affection for this town and its expat gang members.

3 Thank richland
carrboro
2 helpful votes
“Coolest Casa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2008

Casa de la Noche: There are many nice places to stay in San Miguel. Wonderful warm appointments, Great views from your bedroom wall of windows, State of the art Radiant Floor Heat and Water Filtration System!!! Imaculately kept. If you have traveled enough to appreciate a place with energy and personality look no farther! Call Barbara, arthousemexico.com What a woman!! Steve.

Been to San Miguel de Allende? Share your experiences!