“Great location - mediocre services”

San Carlos Plaza Hotel Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in San Carlos
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 weeks and think I know it pretty well.
The positives:
You cannot beat the location of this spacious resort hotel. Right on one of the best beaches in San Carlos. Also just a stroll along the beach away from the Soggy Peso - palapa cantina. This hotel has all the amenities. Many rooms to choose from, beaches, swimming pools and also 3 different dining choices. It is also the only place where you can rent a jet ski and really tear it up out on the Sea of Cortez. Those are the good things
The negatives:
mediocre service on everything. Food. Rooms. Amenities. Average. Average. Average at best.
Empty during the week. So, hot water is turned down to save money. Large wedding crowds show up every weekend. So expect loud parties and music until 2 or 3 am. Thursday night. Friday night. Saturday night.
No local shops around. It is 10 minutes to get to San Carlos if you want to dine or go anywhere other than the beach.
If you are easy going, not easily stressed. Can live with the give and take, ebb and flow of Mexico. Then stay here and soak in the sun, beach and culture!

Room Tip: If you need quiet to sleep - on weekends, choose rooms at the very end of the hotel. To avoid any n...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank daveg6777

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I went with my couple and lots of friends on a weekend.It's very hot in this beach, and the parking lot doesn't have roof, but that's ok if you're planning to stay in the hotel all day. The entrance of the hotel its very nice, big,fresh and nice. We did the check-in very quick, and the bell-boy and the staff were very helpful and nice with us. We got the cheapest room, and its in the west wing, with partial views of the sea,and views to pretty beach houses. The room its big enough, but its old and needs and update. The bed was very uncomfortable, the lights of the bathroom didn't serve(we have to turn on the light of the shower). Also, have a tv,table,2 chairs and a balcony.
Although, the hotel facilities are very good, and I think its the best on San Carlos. There are three restaurants(we tried the Joey's pizza one night, and take the pizza to the beach,very nice), two pools and one small for the kids and lots of water games for them. There are also, 2 cabanas: 1 with towels and water, and another one its one of the restaurants(open air) and it has service to the beach. In the hotel,and in the beach of the hotel,are services like horse riding, diving, rent of jet skis and ATV's. All of this, affordable.
We enjoy just being lying on the beach with a cold beer and clamato.
The only thing i didn't like, was that on Sunday, I was being told that the open air bar-restaurant was open from 10:00 am-. I went and wait for 15 min., and they didn't open yet. Then, I asked to the waiter and he was very rude, telling me that they arrived at 10:00 am, but opened until 10:30 am. I had to wait until 11 am to get my drinks.
Overall, I had a good experience. The beach its very calm and nice and the hotel its OK to spend the weekend.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cristina F
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We were lucky enough to get two great versions of Mexico within a months time. We recently went to Cancun three weeks befor visiting San Carlos. They could not be more different. Cancun is not Mexico. Cancun is a great place to be pampered and still feel like your in the US.

San Carlos is a hidden Eden. Not many tourists. Beautiful beaches, beautiful mountains.

The San Carlos plaza is an old Howard Johnsons, but the food and people who work there make this place. We stayed four nights and five days. There seemed to be about 12 other tourists in the hotel during our stay. This means some of the things you normally take for granted, i.e., hot water, can take awhile. The rooms are older, but clean. Beds are definately for bad backs; very hard. Pool is not heated and since we were there during a cold spell (high 70's) it was as cold as the Sea of Cortez. The Spa worked when you asked to have the water temperature turned up. They have a great kids pool that pools a large bucket onto a roof and splashes the kids. Our room was on the fourth floor, sea side, beautiful views. Went horseback riding near the hotel and that is a must do. We ate breakfast and lunch at the Plaza and the food was excellent. We ate dinners mostly in San Carlos at a few restaurants, all excellent, fresh seafood and very tasty.

Limited choices for hotels in this area, we had a number of people from other hotels that came to the Plaza for the day for the pool, food and spa. The Govenor came to the hotel for a lunch and the placed filled up for about 4 hours, then he left and the place was ours again.

There is no gym, although they have a room with broken machines and free weights, it is better to take a run on the beach.

Does this place need an upgrade? Yes, but with limited tourists, why bother?

We are not a high maintenance, so this place was great for our family. Beach was deserted, but just beautiful.

I can see how some people would give this place negative reviews, but I think you have to consider this place off the beaten path.

Room Tip: Presidential suite is great. Balconies on the third floor, but seems like you can pick any room, no...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Yazbosox
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I checked in last week on a wednesday night (empty hotel, low season) planning to stay for 5 days, ask the lady on front desk asking for a room, she told me that she have availability and told her that i would like a room with a view and balcony, BUT since i speak spanish and look like a national she stated that she only have rooms with views but no balcony, but didn't hesitate to ask how many days i was staying, after i told her a couple of days she told me that the next day she was going to have some available,(bs), hotel is very old and showers are rusty needs to be remodel, she did not explain to me about energy saving card that you have to use, and when i ask about not having power in the room she just laught and told me really? like i said lack of costumer service, after one night i went to MARINATERRA my best experience by far, to bad someone else have my business and my best review!!

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank calletano69
Reviewed 4 January 2012

2 nights here, one of which was without sleep as a wedding ceremony and reception was held right outside our window/balcony. I was too exhausted to request another room or complain as I'd just missed my flight (flights) home to Australia. The room was very clean and pleasant enough but nothing outstanding...not even a bar fridge. The view was second to none....stunning!! Room service meals offered choices, which for a vegetarian, is much needed. I was unable to access internet from my room. Fortunately, I was able to use the Business facility. The lobby has reasonable restaurants and overpriced shopping. Really, it was ALL about the amazing view and the incredible sunsets.

Room Tip: If you request a room with a view, DO ask if there will be a wedding poolside while you're there...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank GayeG
JCDO, E-commerce Manager at San Carlos Plaza Hotel Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

Dear Sir:

We really appreciate your comments, as they are very valuable to us to keep improving our customer service and be capable to offer you the best experience. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

So, one of my "Mexican" nephews decided to get married at this hotel. My wife called two months in advance and booked our room for the trip. The price she agreed to was 1300 pesos, which at the time was about $100 dollars in US. After talking to some of her sisters, who live in Mexico, they booked their rooms for 870 pesos (33% less); same view, same room many same floor. My wife called back, they offered a discount of 100 pesos, stating they only give 10 rooms a weekend at that special pricing and we were too late. When we were in the hotel, we asked the other wedding attending people what they paid, all the Mexican attending guests paid 870 pesos, including the ones who booked the hotel on the way to the hotel. The only other person who paid more was my gringo brother-in-law who paid 1000 pesos. Ironically, we booked before almost everyone in this wedding party.

I called the general manager, Jose, who was less than helpful. He repeated the only 10 rooms for the “special price” but couldn’t explain why we didn’t get this discount considering we booked so early before the trip. I asked for the person's name and number above him, he refused to give it to me.
If you look online, you can find condos on the water with bedrooms for about the same price. Do some research and save yourself some grief.

Room Tip: ask for a bed that isn't as hard as a rock and bring your own pillows.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
JCDO, E-commerce Manager at San Carlos Plaza Hotel Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2011

Dear Sir:

We are sorry to hear You have a bad impression on how We set up our rates as this is not the way We work, normally We do establish our rates with plenty of time ahead, plus We do some specials with a limited number of rooms in a lower category which seems to be the case, in lieu of this inconvenience We are willing to offer a special discount in your next trip to San Carlos. It will be a pleasure to welcoming you to our hotel, please contact us at:

ecommerce@sancarlosplaza.com.mx

Reviewed 24 November 2011

Stayed there for 3 nights and had a room facing the waters, the hotel is right on the beach, you step out and you are on the beach. The beach was quite and clean. The rooms are ok on space, room sizes were little bigger than a business hotel, with standard room facilities. They have a very good lobby area with wireless internet. The bar and resturant, the food is ok. The serve breakfast which is quite good.All in all good place if you need to be on the beach.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
#2 of 5 in San Carlos
Marinaterra Hotel & Spa
Marinaterra Hotel & Spa
#3 of 5 in San Carlos

Been to San Carlos Plaza Hotel Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!