“overprized and run down....”

San Carlos Plaza Hotel Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in San Carlos
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed here for 1 night as we were in the area to visit friends of my wife. Regret big time that we stayed here. An impressiv building that is nicely painted outside. But that is all. The list of negative things are way to long to write it down here.....
Where is the management of this place and the owner!!!! Are they a bunch of amatours in the hotel business? Do they know anything at all about running a hotel and how to get repeat business??? Just wondering....
The place has great potencial of being something great again as it was one time in the past.
It has a very nice location and beach area, but the outdoor area as well as indoor area + rooms needs a serious upgrade on tiles, painting, decor, furnitures and general maintinance.
Do that and lower the price a little bit + include the breakfast and you will have a sucsess.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room with balcony towards the beach at least. But if you have a choice, choos...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fredi B

Reviewed 15 May 2013

The location is the best in san carlos my kids had a great time at the beach with all the rentals. Our waiter offered excellent service. We visited san Carlos a week before Spring break and the place Was vacant. We had it all to ourselves. My biggest complain is their beds. They are so uncomfortable, really hard. I felt like if I Was sleeping on the floor. The kids pool Was really nice but the water Was freezing cold and since in march is not that hot. Mostly all the kids wanted to be in the jaccuzi because the water Was a bit warm. That also bothered us, we wanted to relax in the jaccuzi in the evening and the water Was almost as cold as in the pool. Finally our drinks were mediocre, even though we ordered most of the different drinks they were like smoothies no alcohol to be found. It's just an average place to stay. If they ever get softer mattresses I would return.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 December 2012

This hotel is very convenient and has a very friendly atmosphere. The rooms are quite big and comfortable. Nice view and facilities. A variety of good restaurants are right in the vicinity of the resort. Good basis for diving or boat trips.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Joerg S
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 weeks and think I know it pretty well.
The positives:
You cannot beat the location of this spacious resort hotel. Right on one of the best beaches in San Carlos. Also just a stroll along the beach away from the Soggy Peso - palapa cantina. This hotel has all the amenities. Many rooms to choose from, beaches, swimming pools and also 3 different dining choices. It is also the only place where you can rent a jet ski and really tear it up out on the Sea of Cortez. Those are the good things
The negatives:
mediocre service on everything. Food. Rooms. Amenities. Average. Average. Average at best.
Empty during the week. So, hot water is turned down to save money. Large wedding crowds show up every weekend. So expect loud parties and music until 2 or 3 am. Thursday night. Friday night. Saturday night.
No local shops around. It is 10 minutes to get to San Carlos if you want to dine or go anywhere other than the beach.
If you are easy going, not easily stressed. Can live with the give and take, ebb and flow of Mexico. Then stay here and soak in the sun, beach and culture!

Room Tip: If you need quiet to sleep - on weekends, choose rooms at the very end of the hotel. To avoid any n...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank daveg6777
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I went with my couple and lots of friends on a weekend.It's very hot in this beach, and the parking lot doesn't have roof, but that's ok if you're planning to stay in the hotel all day. The entrance of the hotel its very nice, big,fresh and nice. We did the check-in very quick, and the bell-boy and the staff were very helpful and nice with us. We got the cheapest room, and its in the west wing, with partial views of the sea,and views to pretty beach houses. The room its big enough, but its old and needs and update. The bed was very uncomfortable, the lights of the bathroom didn't serve(we have to turn on the light of the shower). Also, have a tv,table,2 chairs and a balcony.
Although, the hotel facilities are very good, and I think its the best on San Carlos. There are three restaurants(we tried the Joey's pizza one night, and take the pizza to the beach,very nice), two pools and one small for the kids and lots of water games for them. There are also, 2 cabanas: 1 with towels and water, and another one its one of the restaurants(open air) and it has service to the beach. In the hotel,and in the beach of the hotel,are services like horse riding, diving, rent of jet skis and ATV's. All of this, affordable.
We enjoy just being lying on the beach with a cold beer and clamato.
The only thing i didn't like, was that on Sunday, I was being told that the open air bar-restaurant was open from 10:00 am-. I went and wait for 15 min., and they didn't open yet. Then, I asked to the waiter and he was very rude, telling me that they arrived at 10:00 am, but opened until 10:30 am. I had to wait until 11 am to get my drinks.
Overall, I had a good experience. The beach its very calm and nice and the hotel its OK to spend the weekend.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cristina F
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We were lucky enough to get two great versions of Mexico within a months time. We recently went to Cancun three weeks befor visiting San Carlos. They could not be more different. Cancun is not Mexico. Cancun is a great place to be pampered and still feel like your in the US.

San Carlos is a hidden Eden. Not many tourists. Beautiful beaches, beautiful mountains.

The San Carlos plaza is an old Howard Johnsons, but the food and people who work there make this place. We stayed four nights and five days. There seemed to be about 12 other tourists in the hotel during our stay. This means some of the things you normally take for granted, i.e., hot water, can take awhile. The rooms are older, but clean. Beds are definately for bad backs; very hard. Pool is not heated and since we were there during a cold spell (high 70's) it was as cold as the Sea of Cortez. The Spa worked when you asked to have the water temperature turned up. They have a great kids pool that pools a large bucket onto a roof and splashes the kids. Our room was on the fourth floor, sea side, beautiful views. Went horseback riding near the hotel and that is a must do. We ate breakfast and lunch at the Plaza and the food was excellent. We ate dinners mostly in San Carlos at a few restaurants, all excellent, fresh seafood and very tasty.

Limited choices for hotels in this area, we had a number of people from other hotels that came to the Plaza for the day for the pool, food and spa. The Govenor came to the hotel for a lunch and the placed filled up for about 4 hours, then he left and the place was ours again.

There is no gym, although they have a room with broken machines and free weights, it is better to take a run on the beach.

Does this place need an upgrade? Yes, but with limited tourists, why bother?

We are not a high maintenance, so this place was great for our family. Beach was deserted, but just beautiful.

I can see how some people would give this place negative reviews, but I think you have to consider this place off the beaten path.

Room Tip: Presidential suite is great. Balconies on the third floor, but seems like you can pick any room, no...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Yazbosox
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I checked in last week on a wednesday night (empty hotel, low season) planning to stay for 5 days, ask the lady on front desk asking for a room, she told me that she have availability and told her that i would like a room with a view and balcony, BUT since i speak spanish and look like a national she stated that she only have rooms with views but no balcony, but didn't hesitate to ask how many days i was staying, after i told her a couple of days she told me that the next day she was going to have some available,(bs), hotel is very old and showers are rusty needs to be remodel, she did not explain to me about energy saving card that you have to use, and when i ask about not having power in the room she just laught and told me really? like i said lack of costumer service, after one night i went to MARINATERRA my best experience by far, to bad someone else have my business and my best review!!

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
#2 of 5 in San Carlos
Marinaterra Hotel & Spa
Marinaterra Hotel & Spa
#3 of 5 in San Carlos

Been to San Carlos Plaza Hotel Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!