“Best in San Carlos?”

Marinaterra Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in San Carlos
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Haven't stayed at every hotel in San Carlos, so I can't say this is the best. But it probably is. Remember, this isn't Vegas. For starters, the location on the marina is great, especially if you're going fishing or diving. There is a small adjoining plaza with a handful of shops and restaurants. The upper pool deck is awesome with comfortable bar and nice view. The dinner buffet at the hotel restaurant was great. Check-in was pleasant and easy. The room was a nice size and kitchen was clean. Ours faced the parking lot so I might request an ocean-view next time. Noise was not a big problem during our stay.

In summary, I would recommend this for resort-style comfort + marina access, less so for no-frills, budget-minded.

Room Tip: Request marina-view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TomFromTucson
Marinaterra, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marinaterra Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for your comment!

We strive to be the best of the destination and offer a quality stay for our guests.

We hope see you again!

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Just came back from 3 nights at the Marinaterra and was pleasantly surprised. I had received mixed reviews from my fellow divers who have stayed there. That being said, as is usual in Mexico, there is a problem with the credit card billing that may be a hassle to get resolved. We went as part of a group from our Dive Shop and the Hotel charged me on my card for the room even though it was already paid for. Other then that, the rooms are clean and spacious, well appointed, nice firm beds, great view of the marina. The breakfast buffett is not worth the price, go accross the street to the restuarnt/bar for breakfast...much better and certainly more economical.

All in all not a bad place. Just watch your bill and credit card, as you always should in Mexico. I recommend paying in advance through Orbitz or one of the others to avoid any hassles later.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing with us your experience, let's take into account to improve.

See you soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I've stayed here twice. Both times I had different rooms. The first time I was there, I wished they had heat, or mine wasn't functioning. It was a little chilly in the room (low 60s), and I could have inquired on getting the heat working, but it was still tolerable in the room (it was cold the week we were down there). Air conditioning worked great, but wasn't needed. During my trip, the were renovating the rooms below us. I never heard them working, but could see the progress they were making on it..

I was on the 4th floor the first trip, and on the second floor the second trip. I had an issue with my room on the second trip and the front desk took care of it very quickly. Both rooms had a view of the harbor (which is very nice by the way!). There are a few places to eat, drink, and shop near the hotel at decent prices. The coffee shop across the street has excellent food. The hotel has great food as well.

Both of my rooms were nice. Everything worked properly (had an issue with the door once). The beds were comfortable. There was plenty of selection of tv channels (some were in English). Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful both times.

I would definitely stay here again.
Overall the area is very nice, and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms are very roomy. I
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jmueller_13

Thank you for your comment! . Your feedback helps us improve.
We hope see you again.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

This place is amazing. Excellent service, beds, decor, location, bar, food. It is A+ all the way around. 2 pools with bars. The view from the marina side rooms is amazing, set against the mountains, bay,yachts, fishing boats. The staff is professional. We stayed during the week and it was empty except a few British business people.

Make sure to visit the Club de Capitains up the street. The hotel is conveniently located next to a grocery store and an Oxxo (7-11). You have to drive to get to a beach which is 10 minutes away.

I thought the price was very fair for the quality.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Francisco R

We appreciate your comment and hope see you again!

Reviewed 13 April 2013

The Marinaterra Hotel & Spa is a delightful hotel located in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico on the Sea of Cortez. The hotel offers stunning views of the water and is located adjacent to the marina. Stayed for a few nights in April and enjoyed the relaxing nature of the hotel. My room had working Air Condintioning, a 32" flat screen TV and many English language stations. I had a view of the water from my room. The hotel roomwas not equipped with an iron or ironing board. I did not request one from reception. Electricity plug-ins were a bit sparse by current hotel standards, but sufficient if one doesn't try to plug in too many things at once. Room lighting was very good, and a small coffee maker and refridgerator are included in the room rate. The bathroom was good and everything worked.The bath and sink area are separated. Wireless internet was included in the room rate but was a bit slow. The bed had great looking linens and a matching comforter, but the bed was a bit uncomfortable, a dissappointment for such an otherwise nice hotel. If the bed had been more comfortable I would have rated the property with five stars instead of four. The room floor was tiled in marble, as was the bath. There was a small balcony off my room. The hotel restaurant is located about two minutes walk down the back steps from the hotel lobby adjacent to the marina. The restaurant offers reasonably priced food, though service is a bit slow. Selections of fish and shrimp abound. A breakfast buffet is offered, but one can order from the menu if they wish to eat light or order a specific item. I sent photos of the hotel to my wife and she was most jealous of me for staying at such a nice property. The hotel appears to be partially sold out to private owners as condos. I would stay if I travel to San Carlos again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Bahnreise
Marinaterra, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marinaterra Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

We appreciate your comment and we will consider your opinion.

We hope you see again in San Carlos, Sonora

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights it was wonderful staying there the only bad thing is that they dont have buffett service at their restaurant and its very expensive to eat there and in the morning all these sales man in the lobby that bug you but everything else is wonderfull we planning on returning to this hotel next year

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Jabaderass

Thanks for your comment

Our restaurant have breakfast buffet all day and menu, the meal is delicious and the marina view is wonderful.

We will consider your opinion and we hope you see again in San Carlos

Reviewed 2 March 2013

We had a one night stay in this hotel as part of a trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon. We all wished that we could have stayed longer. We had a very nice room with 2 large beds and a marvellous terrace with views to die for! It was very clean but had a rather fusty smell. We had a meal which was included in our trip and not very good but we were late and we wondered if the meal had been prepared early and been standing waiting. The staff were helpful and pleasant. Breakfast the next day was good. We ate it outside on the terrace The position of the hotel overlooking the marina was very special.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views over the marina
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane C
Marinaterra, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marinaterra Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

We appreciate your opinion, We hope you see again.

Best regards!

#5 of 7 in Guaymas
Sea of Cortez Beach Club
Sea of Cortez Beach Club
#2 of 5 in San Carlos

Been to Marinaterra Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!