“RVers & Drivers Haven for first stop from Nogales”

Hotel Playa de Cortes
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Guaymas
San Rafael, California
“RVers & Drivers Haven for first stop from Nogales”
Reviewed 20 November 2011

This private beach-front old-time hotel reminds me of an old romantic movie. It is situation on a huge peace of property, with lots of paths to walk your dog around on. Bathrooms and showers for RVers are the best I've ever seen. Rooms for renters are discounted Mon-Thurs so we only paid 600 pesos for a wonderful room with view of the Sea of Cortez. The restaurant/bar are usually empty but the service (from someone who has worked there his entire life) is wonderful. The whole experience is old-world, and when you have driven across the desert it is the best "first beach stop" anyone that loves tranquility can make. My first time driving an RV (solo, with two Samoyeds) I was told to go to the San Carlos RV park, which after the long long drive to get there was high on a cliff and looked like something in Arizona. I was lucky to meet someone who advised at the discouraged look on my face, that I might prefer Hotel Playa de Cortes and they were so right! I have returned without an RV to stay in the hotel, and loved it more each time. Highly recommend for the experience.

Room Tip: In RV area pets are allowed but not in the hotel rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Santa Fe
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Had been years since I'd been to this hotel, almost 40 to be exact. The quality, the upkeep, the cleanliness still the same........I swear there used to be a BEACH there though and was very disappointed after such a long drive that there was NOT. Someone later said (after leaving at dawn the next day for KINO) it had something to do with a hurricane 2 yrs ago....?
Anyway, was surprised at all the staff and so much basura on the grounds........even mentioned it in decent espanol to no movement,nocomment, no nada. Very sad to see this, even broken glass, not cool.
It was late, 10 PM when we got in, asked about a cocktail, no problem but again, the bar, tho empty had dirty tables, a dirty bar with used glasses and pplates and honestly, the attendant was SLEEPING. It was "funny" , yes, and we are all human, but...really......
The young man at the desk was pretty durn wonderful but I just feel that the cost was highly vaulted for the value. Parking lot full of trash too. Someone really needs to use their drowsy time to police the grounds! I ended up picking up an entire trash bag full by the time the sun came up and we....left.
All power (A/C) went off in the middle of the night............steamy..ugh, oh well.
I will keep my memories and not go again BUT, the history and beauty of the grounds and hotel itself was/is wonderful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank RockHaulinDoll
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 March 2011

This hotel has good food, although I was the only person eating in the restaurant or bar the two nights I was there. Not sure why. There is no gift shop which they need, with snacks and drinks we can take back to the room. Lots of channels on T.V. There are no deadbolt locks on the doors, the door knobs are loose and there are no fire alarms anywhere. I didn't feel very secure here despite the views. The staff spoke very god English and were friendly. I can't recommend it, though primarily because of the lack of deadbolt locks, no fire alarms, no internet access, telephone was not good, no gift shop, and the heater did not work well. The room has the typical tile floors but was very cold in February 2011.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CaliforniaTraveler19
Reviewed 26 March 2010

The Playa de Cortes in Guaymas, exico, is a hotel I have visisted perhaps 20or more times over the years. Built in the 1930's, this expansive and luxuriously landscaped property is a refreshing step back in time. The hospitality, ambience, food, service and sense of one-on-one attention are sadly lacking in most hotels, both modern and ancient, but The Playa de Cortes will not dissapoint.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank jagpaw
Reviewed 14 March 2010

We stayed here for a wedding, wished I had not. My room was filthy and had cobwebs on the ceiling, the shower had no hot water, and the frig didn't chill properly. The hotel did not have nor would they provide cribs or high chairs for those with infants and small children. The view was beautiful, but the grounds and buildings were run down. The wedding food was subpar at best, I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the same meal at a greasy truck stop in cincinnati.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank captainsloose
Az
Reviewed 13 January 2009

If you like the charm of Mexico, you will enjoy this place. If you are into huge corporate mega resorts-stay away. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Grounds are very nice. Views of the Sea are awesome. There is a little bar and restaurant. The food was quite fine and prices in line. I always stop and stay whenever possible. The Hotel workers are friendly and helpful-in other words-I love this place.

• Liked — Loacation
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank earlward
Pacific Latitiude 20/49
Reviewed 8 November 2008

We were driving from Vancouver to PV and needed an ocean break after driving from Nogales. We chose the Hotel Playa de Cortes because of its unique position on The Sea of Cortes. We got one of their premium rooms as you will see in in our photos.

We loved the old Mexican charm of the hotel. Our room had a wrap- around balcony with views to the west and the north. Although there was AC, the breezes made it unecessary. There was no need to use the real wood-burning fireplace in our room.

This is an old hotel and it shows. The bathroom was roomy but from another era. There is no Internet service at all. The room was in need of some maintenance although it was clean. There is no microwave or coffee perc in the room. For ice, we had to call the bar and then tip the waiter. Then we stored the ice in the freezer. Like I said, it was like being transported back to another era in a hotel.

The common grounds were nice as we would expect in such a grand old hacienda. The entrance is cobble-stoned and treed. We found a spot for our car under an enormous tree that provided shade all day long. Because our car was loaded with household goods, we were pleased that the hotel is off the beaten track and does not invite casual drivers to enter the premises.

Although there is no elevator, the bellman dutifully lugged our stuff up to the second floor. There was a business convention underway while we stayed there so it was busy in the morning until 930 and then we had the place to ourselves until their sessions were over for the day. Our balcony had only 2 chairs and a small table but we enjoyed the views and the breezes from inside the room where the chairs were wingbacks.

The bar and restaurant is quaint and old. Nothing special. The food was OK but not particularly notable. On balance, we enjoyed the old Mexico experience for one stop along our journey. For a short stay to experience this, I recommend trying it. For a longer stay, you might want to try a more modern hotel.

• Liked — Location, views, old Mexican charm
  • Disliked — In-room facilities - no microwave, coffee perc, internet (some intermittent wifi)
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank kcowan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guaymas
Holiday Inn Express Guaymas
#2 of 5 in San Carlos
Marinaterra Hotel & Spa
Marinaterra Hotel & Spa
#3 of 5 in San Carlos

Been to Hotel Playa de Cortes? Share your experiences!