“Wonderful”

Hotel Playa de Cortes
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Guaymas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here 4 days in a beach facing room and we loved it. We were shown a lower priced room without a view and it looked pretty ordinary, so we sprang for the more expensive room and it's well worth it. The setting is beautiful, the grounds are so well kept, the pool is marvelous, the sea very tranquil. There is no street noise here. The restaurant has great food at comparable prices. And all the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank CCOC123
There are newer reviews for Hotel Playa de Cortes

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for two nights. The hotel itself is just ok. Customer service is lacking. The women working the front desk are border-line rude. I asked them if I could use the microwave oven to heat water for coffee since the room had none. They said they didn't have one. Really?? Perhaps they don't like gringos? So no room microwave, no small refrigerator, TV was at least 20 years old and had almost no picture, a/c remote didn't work, wi/fi access was intermittent, food in restaurant was decent but overpriced. Can't recommend this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Stick85251
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were traveling thru town and stayed here at the RV park. Mid-week.
We were the only ones staying here.
With the exception of an annoying neighborhood dog barking all night long, (our AC helped drown out that noise) it was really pretty tranquil as the security guard put it.
A traditional old Spanish hotel was very clean and old time pictures on the wall gave it some great nostalgic aura. We ate dinner in the dining room while watch the world series.
Food was good, service was fine, we were the only ones there...but the waiter and bartender were very accommodating. The view from the patio was extraordinary!
We would love to come back here and spend some time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MrHoneyDoTahoe
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here two times, for two weddings, the first wedding was 4 years ago someone stoled my camera from a table at the wedding, the second wedding was yesteday my cousin's wedding, the security guard as well as the manager and bell boy went into my room because the air conditioning wasn't working he turned it off while i was packing my stuff, and he stoled my iPhone. I change to other room at the same hotel and I didn't notice until I unpacked and realize my iPhone wasn't there we locate it trough find my iphone application (gps) and it was in the locker of the security guard, but before that I told the manager that someone stoled my iPhone and he was very disrespectful, incompetent and rude, he laugh at my several times until I called the police and they help me, we found it in the locker and the manager did not even apologize to me, he just told the security guy, "I asked you and you told me you didn't took it" and told the police that he was going to take care of it.
That's it so far I was really angry and I definitely wouldn't recommend this place, not as long the same manager is still working there.

• Stayed: October 2013
7  Thank Melissamtzl
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I was reading all the reviews about this great old hotel and it brought back great memories
My dad took me there in 1953 and 1954
There was no fishing pier then but it was a place to go catch world record Marlin and Sailfish
You could get arrest deal on a boAt rental in town
The Hotel has not changed a bit and that was over 55 years ago!
Do yourself a favor and visit Mexico before World War Two
You will love it!

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank Elo4
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I will definitley go back next year. Such a beautiful hotel with a gracios staff. The view of the sea of cortez is breath taking. The restaurant is a favorite place of mine to dine, or just to sit back and relax with a cocktail and appetizer.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Tif B
Reviewed 5 March 2013

First of all, why are you staying in Guaymas? Because you're passing through on your way to somewhere even more interesting, that's why. So if you're going to stop for a night in this town, it really boils down to two choices: a) a clean, boring, simple Best Western, or b) a true Mexican hotel, the Playa de Cortes. I vote Hotel Playa de Cortes, for a really lovely, authentic experience. And a bit of beach time in the morning.

The grounds were big, the lobby was large, the water-front views were stunning, and a beautiful Christmas tree was decorated for our pre-holiday stay. The rooms were simple and clean, and as we arrived before the holiday rush, we had the restaurant to ourselves. The hotel seems to recall an historic elegance, and is now a bit rough around the edges. But wake up in the morning and enjoy the courtyard, stroll the beach, watch pelicans, walk to the end of the pier, and imagine this place brimming with posh guests. Check out after a pleasant night's stay, and get on the road to where you're really going, safe in the knowledge that you've just experienced a spicy taste of Mexico.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank rbergeron3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guaymas
Holiday Inn Express Guaymas
#3 of 5 in San Carlos
Sea of Cortez Beach Club
Sea of Cortez Beach Club
#2 of 5 in San Carlos

Been to Hotel Playa de Cortes? Share your experiences!