“very basic but nice views”
Review of Sunrise Bungalows

Sunrise Bungalows
Portland, Oregon
“very basic but nice views”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We paid 80,000kip/night for bungalow with balcony/hammock and western toilet. The view was nice, the hammock was great. There were gecko droppings all over the place (they roam the rafters at night so it can't really be helped) but the staff did leave a broom in the room so we just swept it out. Things kept breaking in the bathroom and we gave up asking for them to be fixed and just made do our last days... should've negotiated the price down because of this but we were so relaxed after 5 days in Nong Khiaw that we just didn't care. The wifi worked pretty well. There was a tea kettle and mugs in the room so that saved us on coffee costs. They don't really keep the grounds around the bungalow very clean.

Room Tip: avoid room #5 if you can
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SlowlyGlobal

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights. First night 3 persons: 100.000kip, next night, 2 persons: 60.000kip. They bungalows are very basic. They have western or squat toilet. To be flushed with a Bucket of water. Mosquito nets available. WiFi works good! Please note; They don't change the sheets after someone slept there. Be warned.

The view on the river is great, the people are kind, but don't expect a lot for this price.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Simple, very basic, but super cheap. We really are in the middle of nowhere here, so we had zero expectations. Sitting in the hammocks on your balcony looking out over the staggeringly beautiful views, you really need nothing else, It was bliss. Total bliss. No hot water - you don't need it; no aircon - luckily it cools down quite pleasantly at night; no WIFI - you must be kidding me. Onsite restaurant is also completely fine.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

There are 50,000 to 150,000 kip rooms here depending on the room and bathroom. We got an 80,000 room for 70,000 if we had dinner with Joy, which was well worth it (curries were delicious!). Room is basic, don't think they can change the cover on the duvets so recommend a sleeping sheet, and the bathroom has a western toilet with no flush, just a bucket. Also strangely no sink. But the view is stunning and for less than $10 you can't really argue! We loomed at a few other places charging 100,000-180,000 for a river view.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire T
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed here for a few nights. Some bungalows are 50000 kip and they have some more expensive ones at 100000. I stayed in a cheap one for a few nights and it was fine: basic and had a squat loo but can't complain at the price. I had my own balcony over the river and it was beautiful.

I did get some laundry done here and it was fine.

I would behappy to go back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I moved to this guest house from one across the street. I looked at a number of guest houses in the neighborhood and finally settled with Sunrise (and ended up staying for 3 nights). They have a number of different bungalows, and some are much nicer than others. I opted for the higher end option (with concrete walls instead of wood) and was happy with my choice.

POSITIVES:
Nice river views, hammock on the deck, fairly comfortable beds (in my room at least), functional bathroom (in my room), cozy feeling, friendly staff, decent price, mosquito nets over the beds (but never saw a single mosquito so didn't use them), central location on east side of river.

NEGATIVES:
Some bungalows seemed a little funky (but not mine), hot water in my shower was not very warm (which wouldn't be an issue except I was there when it was rather cold so I wanted hotter water).

Overall I enjoyed staying at Sunrise Bungalows and liked my room. I would recommend checking it out and looking at all the different options available since the quality of bungalows varies greatly.

Room Tip: Look at all the different options available; some rooms are better than others.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

The view over the river is great and Joy is real nice but the bed linen doesn't get changed, they shake it out ready for a new customer, the beds are hard also. I got my laundry done and i don't think they even used laundry soap, it stank when i got it back and what's funny is Joy doesn't have a weighing scale she guesses how much your laundry weighs!!!! Plenty of other places to get your laundry done. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013