“Average but only just”

Dining options: Breakfast
Vancouver, Canada
“Average but only just”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We ate our breakfast here on our walk to the boat ramp. Service was really slow as one person was doing all the cooking, waiting and cleaning tables. The bathrooms were okay but not super clean and the garbage was overflowing, and as I walked by the kitchen on my way I noted the kitchen was filled with flies hovering over open food containers - I hadn't seen that in other restaurant kitchens we'd been in during our trip so far. Food was okay, but nothing memorable. I probably wouldn't go back again, given the other restaurants available.

• Visited January 2013

• Hebrew first
Malaysia
“One of the Best Eateries in Nong Kiau”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed three days two nights in Nong Kiau - definitely the best restaurant in Nong Kiau we have tasted. Food tasted good, prices are reasonable, restaurant looking clean and the open kitchen concept kinda good as we get to see the condition/cleanliness of the kitchen - which was quite clean.

If you are staying in Nongkiau Riverside Lodge, cross the river towards the post office - the restaurant is just opposite the post office, next to/nearby Tiger Trail tours/green discovery tour.

• Visited October 2012
Seattle
“Some Virtues, Some Vices”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is a pleasant, comfortable cafe. My one visit there convinced me that it's probably a pretty good place, but my experience had enough failures that I can't rate it better than average. I ordered fish steamed in a banana leaf and a Beer Lao. The waitress/cook said, "No Beer Lao. Only Namkhong". Well, the menu offered Beer Lao, and I've never before seen a Laotian restaurant that didn't have Beer Lao, but okay, I'll take what you've got. I wanted a small beer, but they had only big bottles, so I took that, as well.

When the beer came it was barely cool and soon grew warm. So I did something I hate doing; I asked for a glass with ice. As the ice melts, of course, you end up with beer-flavored water.

When my meal came, I opened the banana leaf packet and found not fish, but chicken. These steamed-in-a-banana-leaf dishes take a while, so, rather than wait another twenty minutes for the dish I actually wanted, I ate it. The herbs gave it an excellent flavor. The juices, soaked up with sticky rice were very tasty. But honestly, it wasn't what I wanted, so I ate no more than half.

When I went in to pay, my bill was totaled by a woman who had come in while I was eating. I told her about ordering fish and getting chicken. She said, "Well, we have no fish". I wondered why I wasn't told that when I ordered. The reply, referring to the woman who took my order: "She has no English".

I'm sorry, but that really doesn't cut it. You can't have a tourist restaurant and ever have it staffed with people who don't even have enough English to know the words for the food on the menu.

A very disappointing performance by a place that I suspect is better than what they showed me.

• Visited October 2012
UK
“Friendly, great food, lovely place to hang out.”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Deborah and Peter have got a lovely set up here...guaranteed clean and delicious food, really lovely staff, and a mine of useful information. Drop in for a friendly welcome and a chance to put your feet up.

London
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Cheap and excellent,great selection of food and also an extremely helpful owner going out of his way to help with directions etc. Nice little place just after the boat landing run alongside tiger trail. Free WIFI very handy!