“Nice surroundings , Overpriced , Spa with poor service.....wouldn't go back.”

Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clumber Park
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I purchased a Groupon deal for my partners birthday expecting a decent stay (upgrade to executive room which was lovely !) however this was spoiled almost immediately by the young man in the Spa reception who was the single most rudest and ignorant person that I have had the misfortune to meet. I had to ask regards where the changing rooms were and sauna rooms etc all of which were met with a grunt ! He allowed me and my partner to enter separate changing rooms with one key card for the locker and then when I came back out (in a dressing gown) and asked him how we should proceed with separate lockers and one key he spoke to me like I was stupid saying that I needed another key card and just threw it across the counter !! Ironically three other people in the sauna were also commenting on how rude he was when I entered there and reading the reviews on here he seems to play a key part in peoples complaints ! (I wonder if any management read these reviews?) I felt that the food and drink were extortionately over priced for what was on offer and after paying almost £4 for a pint of beer we sat on the terrace/patio area to be met with the horrendous smell of drains/sewerage so had to sit back inside even though it was a nice afternoon. No beans on the full English menu ? and a hair embedded in my reformed/soggy scrambled eggs , the waiter was most apologetic however. The lady on reception was excellent and most attentive as were most of the serving staff , our waiter in the evening asked , when he delivered our main course , 'Would you like anything else' so my partner ordered another drink and I asked for Ketchup and Mayo. The drink arrived almost at the end of our main course and we had to remind him of the ketchup and mayo , both of which he brought after we had finished our food. What was the point in asking if we wanted anything else ??!! We have stayed at many B&B's through work and pleasure up and down the country and for price , experience and service this was very very disappointing to say the least. While walking through two hallways to our room which was next to the Spa entrance , the smell of sweaty feet was horrendous and very off putting to say the least (we were on our way to Lunch) Centre Parcs , while a little more expensive is well worth the extra in our opinion.

2  Thank PCD1974
Write a ReviewReviews (1,183)

Reviewed 28 August 2012

A decent roadside hotel with comfy rooms with large beds. We parked at the hotel and left our car there the next day to walk into the Park. The hotel hire bikes at £5 per day which is much cheaper than the National Trust bike hire in the park itself, so why not park at the hotel and save yourself the Park entrance fee? However, if you stay at the hotel be warned that the walls in the rooms are thin enough for you to hear the man next door go to the toilet, there is no aircon in the rooms and no double glazing so if you get a room facing the A614 and its too warm to keep the windows lcosed you might find the noise a bit too much. Other than that it was a decent enough stay.

Room Tip: rooms away from the main road should be quieter.
1  Thank mikebown
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Booked B&B through Booking.com. A very good deal. Pool was excellent, The bedroom more than adequate (quiet as I'd asked for a room away from the road),the breakfast OK, but not a great deal of choice if you don't want full english. Some wholemeal bread, not just bog standard sliced, would be good.

Room Tip: Back rooms are away from the busy road.
Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed with my partner for two nights on a spa break. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming especially the theripists in the spa area. The treatment rooms were lovely and there is an adequate swimming pool, hot tub and sauna rooms. The rooms were clean and well presented. I was really impressed with the food served it was of a high quality and delicious. The best part is that its has a lovely walk right outside the hotel and surrounded by beautiful forest and sherwood forest is just down the road. So all in all excellent value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My wife and I recently attended a wedding reception and evening entertainment event at the Clumber Park Hotel & Spa which is just across the road from the National Trust, 3800 acre lake and grounds of Clumber Park. The hotel is in a very accessible location and has 4 function rooms ideal for staging a wedding reception or group event. The quality of the food at the wedding reception was excellent particularly as they were catering for over 100 guests; it was hot and presented in a very efficient manner by the army of very pleasant waiting staff. We stayed overnight and I can honestly say that all of the staff that we spoke with were extremely helpful and courteous and nothing was too much trouble which is quite a refreshing change these days.

Room Tip: Although it did not affect the quality of our sleep, we would recommend that you request a room whic...
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel on a spa break along with my daughter, sister and niece on a Groupon deal. It was good value for the price we paid but it's a shame such a lovely hotel is being let down by lack of attention to detail.
The hotel itself could be perfect, it's in a lovely location if you just want to chill and enjoy some peace and quiet. However small thing let it down, for example the paint work in the bedroom was disgraceful ! If they had just taken more care the hotel could be a gem.
The staff in the main were really nice, and very friendly, particularly in the normanton inn, however the staff in the spa particularly the young man on reception lacked any interest and quite frankly was rude.
The spa is ok, but despite sitting waiting for a drink in the snack bar there was no service to be found. The spa is very basic simply a pool a stream room sauna and outside hot tub, that's it. We spent a few hours in there but no more, if the treatment prices had been more reasonable for the standard of the spa and you could have got a drink it might have been worth a bit more time. Luckily Clumber Park is across the road and we spent some quality time having a nice walk in quite extraordinary surroundings.
The food in the Normanton Inn was good but very pricey for what you got, but the surroundings are nice and the staff friendly.
Breakfast was very average, I have had much better in the same rated hotels.
Just a good job the staff, in the main were good or could have been a real disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I cannot knock the lovely and friendly staff and the lovely breakfast but these are my reasons for me and my families stay not being brilliant-
One of the rooms we booked was not ready on time for when we checked in!
The food was not up to standard and my mum's meat was so tough that she couldn't even bite through it!!
We were not informed of the new swimming times for children before our stay which caused us to have to change our evening plans!!

For me the biggest disappointment has been the severe smell of sewage in the car park!
Should a 3* hotel have sewage smells in their car park?
Not overly impressed and wouldn't highly recommend this!!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
The Nottingham Belfry - A QHotel
Acorn Lodge Guest House
Acorn Lodge Guest House
#2 of 6 in Worksop

Been to Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!