“High Price Low Quality” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clumber Park
rotherham,england
“High Price Low Quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

If the owners of this hotel are employing someone to ensure the quality you should be guaranteed to receive for the the price you have to pay to stay here they should be feeling ripped off like I am.We were allocated room 21 and welcomed by a large stain on both the carpet and the brown bed runner.The bed had the thickest,heaviest duvet we have ever seen on our worldwide travels,no sheet just this duvet on a warm and humid night with no A/c or fan in the room so we woke up several times soaked in sweat.The room ceiling and walls were cracked with a large cobweb hanging from the ceiling,more about spiders and insects later.The bathroom featured an ill fitting toilet seat so much so that I had to hold up the seat to use to toilet,the pop up bath plug was on the side of the bath and when my wife had a bath we found out why,you needed to take the plug out fully so the water would drain away,grout missing from the floor tiles,discoloured sealing round the bath and an extractor fan that sounded like a tractor.When we went to The Courtyard for our family get together dinner there was a few flying insects buzzing round and several spiders webs with there meals in the apex of the roof.The dining room staff seems so disorganised that our daughter had to go and ask if we could be served with bread.The food was very good when it was served.The staff came out with a birthday cake for my wife that our daughter had brought from home and they said they would bring out some cream,many photos were taken,candles re-lit several times for the chlidren to blow out,the cake was cut,handed out and eaten then hey presto some cream was brought to the table after everybody had finished eating.The next morning while waiting in the reception area for breakfast I noticed a cabinet containing jewellery and the top was covered in dead insects that looked like they had been there a long time.The breakfast staff were much better organised and knew what they were doing,the food was good but a few items like baked beans and fried eggs were missing.On going back to our room after breakfast there was a large cobweb with a lovely big spider at the centre in the corridor.
So if you want somewhere expensive to stay and study spiders and insects with a poor bedroom and bathroom I can recommend this hotel and room 21.
There must be another hotel close by that is cheaper,cleaner and offering better quality and value for money.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 21 unless they have sorted it out.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank royj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

Reading mixed reviews on trip advisor before we arrived I wondered how our visit would turn out!!! While I'm very pleased to tell everyone it was fantastic. Our room (no 74) was very clean and had been recently updated with modern fixtures and fittings. Good decor and white modern bathroom suite always feels refreshing when entering your room and we were both very pleased!! The bed was comfy and being situated above the spa which closes at 9 pm, we had a very good and quiet nights sleep!!
The spa was clean and all usual treatments available. I had a back massage which was very good if a little short. Should have been 25 mins but barely lasted 20.
Our evening meal in the courtyard was excellent. I had the lamb shoulder which just fell apart on my fork! The breakfast was also very good. It was buffet style which worked well and the service was very good. Maybe we got lucky with our stay but all I can do is be honest and it was very good indeed.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights this week whilst on a training course nearby, I have stayed at the hotel before but did not write a review, my company use it on a regular basis for lots of staff and I assume we get discounted rates some can't comment on price of rooms.
The hotel staff I found to be excellent as normal and very helpful, the restaurant manager (didn't get her name) offered her opinion on what food to have as I couldnt make my mind up, her choices were superb. Food was a little overpriced in my opinion but the quality very good, I assume they can charge an uplifted priced as the hotel is isolated with no other food outlets nearby.
Breakfast was plentiful if you timed it right as there was a full coach load of people staying who came down as a large group, thankfully I managed to get in before them on both days.
The room I was allocated (36) faced the main road and my gripes are (1) there was no headboard (2) there were only 2 pillows on a very large bed (3) the were no net curtains so there was no privacy (4) the shower head was extremely grubby however I did report this to reception and it was changed immediately
Overall a good hotel in comparrison to others have stayed in in the same area

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mickhere4u
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed at Clumber park hotel during August. we were made to feel very welcome our room was very spacious and very clean everything was lovely, also very peacefull and had a great nights sleep, The breakfast the next morning was delicious and there was plenty to choose from, our children loved how they could go and top up their drinks! nothing was too much trouble

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Elaine M
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

I stayed in the Clumber Park hotel last week as I was over in the area on business for four days. I was advised prior to booking that the hotel was booked out on the Tuesday night so it meant I would have to find another hotel for this night. I was put on a standby list but a room never materialised.

First things first, this is not a hotel designed for business customers. The rates are quite expensive for someone who might arrive in late and leave early the next morning and is unable to avail of the hotels facilities. Also, rooms do not have free wi-fi which should is a must for every hotel these days. There is free wi-fi in the hotel lobby however.

The rooms themselves are quite nice but the executive room I stayed in was not as large as some executive rooms I have stayed in in the past – the only difference I noted between the executive room and the regular rooms (which I stayed in for the other nights of my stay) was that the exec room had a king size bed. Also, the bathrooms only have a shower/bath; a separate shower would have been nicer.

I had dinner in the hotel each night I stayed there as there is not much else in the local vicinity. There is a decent selection on the menu in the bar but the food is a little expensive. I did not eat in the hotel restaurant – being turned off by the request to wear smart casual clothing while in the restaurant. The breakfast is buffet style, with the usual food you would expect – selection of cereals, fruit and English breakfast.

The hotel has a good gym and spa/swimming pool. The gym is small but was not busy during my stay so I had full access to all gym equipment. The swimming pool is heated and there is also a Jacuzzi, hot tub, sauna and steam room, everything you would expect from a spa.

This is a good hotel but I felt it was let down by some of its staff, in particular the lady I dealt with at reception. My request to have my receipt split out to only show room price was denied, even though it is quite easily done as I have seen it performed in other hotels. Also, I felt more could have been done to try and accommodate me on the second night of my stay, rather than forcing me to find another hotel. However, all of the waiting staff I dealt with were pleasant and friendly.

In all, this is a nice but expensive hotel. I would recommend it to older couples looking for a relaxing trip away for a few days but not to business people.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jor_lsf
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

Arrived Saturday evening, check in smooth. We were given directions to our room, but it was quite hard to find, lots of corridors and as we weren't the only ones struggling, I knew it wasn't just us lacking in a sense of direction. Our room was supposedly executive and although I haven't seen the standard rooms, it really was quite a basic set up, but there is an iron, ironing board and hairdryer in the wardrobe. Bathroom clean and nicely decorated with lovely complimentary toiletries. We ate in the a la carte restaurant and the food was fantastic. Top tip - the cheese board is large, plenty for two. The beds are comfortable and the rooms quite, so you don't hear other people's toilets flushing (always a plus). Breakfast is self service with everything you could ask for fruit, cereal, yoghurt, toast, croissants, muffins, cooked breakfast, juice, tea and coffee. On to the spa, I had an Indian head massage, it was ok. The girls who work their seem nice, but I've had better. My friend really enjoyed her hot stone massage. Now the down side, there was a wedding on and we felt the staff were stretched a little thin, so getting drinks at the bar took a fair amount of time. The place is nicely decorated but a little worn in places. The spa is generally quite dark, especially the pool area, which flows into the jacuzzi so cool water. The hot tub outside is warm, but there was film around the edge. I'm sure it's all the lotions and potions people use, but it's not what you want to see and really put me off. All in all a nice trip and just across the road from Clumber Park, which is a lovely day out. I wouldn't expect top notch, but a nice break.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

Good friendly staff. Nicola in the Normantinn Restaurant a joy! Place was clean and professional. Room good size and very clean and well maintained. Food at dinner excellent.Breakfast excellent. Staff attentive and when we said bit chilly in the conservatory in the morning went quickly and got heating. Executive room was £99 which included use of gym and spa. Defintely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a discount. I got £10 off.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Eastwood Hall
Eastwood Hall
#1 of 1 in Eastwood
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,099 reviews

Been to Clumber Park Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!