“Needs Some Updating” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stanley Bridge
New Jersey
“Needs Some Updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Our family rented four cottages while we were on PEI for a family reunion. This is the fourth time we have stayed here over a 20 year period. We have always been in the cottages so I cannot comment on the rooms in the hotel. The reason the "resort" is only receiving an average rating is that there does not seem to have been any updating each time we return. Things are very run down, old and in some cases missing from the cabin. Each time we went to the front desk in the hotel to request a fan, toilet paper etc. they were very helpful in trying to assist us so I do not have any complaints about the staff. I also want to say that they advertise WiFi but at the cabins we only got it sporadically or not at all.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My family and I stayed at the Stanley Bridge Country Resort for 3 nights last week on a last minute booking after 2 nights in Charlottetown. Almost immediately, we wished we'd come straight to the North Shore and found this gem of a place from the start. We truly could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. The room was HUGE with 2 very comfortable queen-sized beds. Everything was extremely clean and tidy and the staff went above and beyond to ensure we were comfortable and our needs met. Upon checking in, we requested more K-cups for the Keurig brewer in the room and we were immediately brought more by the kind gentlemen from the front desk. The little things like that are really what makes a place worth it.

The location of the resort is perfectly situated near all that the North Shore has to offer. Cavendish is less than 10 minutes away as well as the lovely area beaches, shops and restaurants and about 40-45 minutes from Charlottetown. There is a restaurant onsite that has good food as well. This accommodation is truly outstanding. We were so pleased with the service, the staff and the room that will most certainly be back! For our reservation being very last minute, we were promptly served and blessed to have found this gem of a property. We only stayed at the hotel so I can't give review as to the cottages, but they looked lovely, quaint and well maintained from the outside. If you're looking for a beautiful, quaint, and quiet place to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of PEI and with superior service, then book here. We couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Request a room on the backside of the hotel for an amazing and picturesque view of the New London Ba...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauren L
Fairfax County, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Clean, comfortable rooms with a Keurig coffeemaker (huge plus!). Nice view of the water but agree that a balcony would have been nice. Friendly, helpful staff - especially Mary, who gave us several good restaurant recommendations and directions.

Third floor rooms - having stairs only is a negative, especially hauling luggage up, or having to climb them after an exhausting day of sightseeing.

WiFi is terrible...was unable to use my iPhone in our room and had to find just the right spot in the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main reception side are quieter than the other end...especially if there is a wedding r...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I frequently use Trip Advisor to pick good places to stay and eat. For the most part, the reviews are normally accurate when you exclude the worst and the best. For our stay at Stanley Bridge I didn’t use Trip Advisor and it was likely a good thing. A friend’s wedding reception was being held here so we booked to stay a few days prior to make it a holiday and overnight of the reception. I have to say that our stay could not have been better. The room we had and the service at the front desk and the adjacent restaurant was friendly and efficient. My first impression was slightly less than favourable as there is no elevator. Fortunately hauling luggage up a flight or two isn’t a problem for me. Otherwise though our room was as expected, everything appeared newly renovated and clean with a nice view of the bay in the back. It was a bit musty as the room was closed up and A/C wasn’t on. That was soon remedied with the air conditioner that was not overly loud. An addition of a balcony would make the room perfect. Which brings me to my next great story. From a walk round the resort in daylight it reveals there is a primary lodge, a motel like extension and several cottages. I asked about rooms I had seen on the ground floor below us, that do have a small deck. These are the family suites that are $60 more a night. We were invited to check it out and the room is 3 times the size with a sitting area and couch, two queen side beds, a fridge and the deck to enjoy the gardens in the back. We said yes . Now our stay was perfect. We even received a discount without asking for our inconvenience for moving. The move was well worth it. Ask for a family suite room if you’re at Stanley Bridge Country Resort. Don’t believe the bad reviews.
The hotel is however a little out of the way. It is a 45 min drive to Charlottetown. The roads zig and zag and are hilly in places. It is very dark at night - no streetlights. However ...It is relatively close to Anne of Green Gables and the touristy places at Cavendish. The standard rooms are "standard" rooms on the small side but not as small as some large cities like London or NYC. The beds are comfortable just a little on the soft side. The rooms are spotless from what I saw. The price in my opinion was very reasonable. My only complaint is that their Wi Fi service is not very good. I was able to get a connection but it kept cutting out and had to keep signing in.

Room Tip: As for the ground floor family suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Our friend picked this resort for our reunion and we all agreed that this was a bad selection. First, the location is far away from downtown. When you want to go to downtown or many other places, there will be lots of driving (even though Charlottetown is a small city).

We got 2 cottages and each cottage house has 3 bedrooms (one on the ground floor and two on the second floor), a kitchen and a living room. The beds were not comfortable and I didn't feel the blankets were clean (I am allergic to dust and I sneezed a lot when I was in the bedroom opening the blanket). Everything is basic. If you are spoiled by the city living with comfortable bed life, don't pick this resort. But if you want to get away from the city and just want to stay in a middle of nowhere, this resort may fit your expectation.

Other than using the place to sleep, there wasn't too much you can do in this resort and I don't understand why this place is called resort.

We had breakfast at the resort's Sutherland’s Restaurant in our 3-night stay only. Standard stuff and don't expect too much.

For our trip to Charlottetwon, we visited Green Gables Visitor Centre, Province House National Historic Site of Canada, and Victoria By the Sea. There isn't too much to see in this city. (You can tell that we are a city person.)

Well, at least we have been to PEI. (I think if we stay at downtown, our experience would have been different.)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank BH1577409

Travellers are raving about these Stanley Bridge hotels

Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at this resort on our first trip to PEI in early August. The resort is conveniently located very close to Cavendish (10 mins), and not very far from Summerside and Charlettetown either. From the outside, the resort is picturesque, however the rooms, although quite big, are a bit dated. The beds were extremely soft. Other than the pool and hot tub, there isn't much for kids to do, but we spent most of our days away from the hotel. The restaurant at the hotel (Sutherlands) is very good. My wife loved the seafood chowder!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room. Request the family fun package which gives you free tickets to the water...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank NJDFan
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

I and my brother decided to go to PEI for vacations for 7 days this early August 2013. I was a little iffy about this hotel, because of a relatively low ranking here on Trip Advisor but I decided to give it a try for two days and as it turned out these were my only two days there. Initially, I wanted to book it for five days. First the good things, the hotel is clean, well maintained, you can also rent cottages. It is very close to the historical Avonlea village, PEI National Park and some great local restaurants and eateries, BUT there is an elephant in the room... the problem is their customer service. When we arrived there, the young lady literally asked us what we were looking for in there and told us to sign a document that we are not smokers. Not very friendly, on top of that she did not give us the right information about wi-fi and what page to go to to start using it. Another minor but annoying issue was an old TV with blurry reception and around 20 channels only. Furniture was also old but beautiful enough. It was a quiet resort and beds were very comfortable, yet I simply never managed to feel good in there during my stay. We payed around 280$ for two nights for two people, it is way too expensive for this hotel. The poll and jacuzzi are too small and crowded during the summer season, it is not worth paying extra for this. All in all, this hotel looks great on picture but in practice it is disappointing, again the customer service spoils it. I presume it may be run by a family and that is why people from the tourism industry are not working there. To close this review on a positive side though, the restaurant that is just in front of the hotel has really tasty means. I absolutely adore hamburger with caramelized onions and their amazing oysters. It is not part of the hotel but is just a few meters from it.

Room Tip: Second floor is pretty quiet but you still feel people wandering around outside.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 23 in Charlottetown
The Holman Grand Hotel
The Holman Grand Hotel
#3 of 23 in Charlottetown

Been to Stanley Bridge Country Resort? Share your experiences!