“Poor food”
Review of The Creggans Inn

The Creggans Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Strachur
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My wife and I had just returned hungry from a long walk round Benmore Botanical Gardens near Dunoon. We decided to pop into the Creggans for lunch as we had heard good reports about this establishment. We found the bar a most uncomfortable place to sit. Our order for drinks was taken quickly by a very pleasant young lady. My wife ordered Venison sausages with Bubble and Squeak and I Haddock and Chips. After waiting about twenty minutes our food arrived. My wife enjoyed her dish however the Bubble and Squeak was not as described on the menu. My Fish and Chips was made up of a chunk of poor quality Haddock (although it did not taste like fresh Haddock) wrapped in a crunchy outside but soggy inside batter served with poor chips and yeeugh! Mushy Peas. This was our first and last meal in this hotel which describes itself as the "Famous" Creggans Inn.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dragon247

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Overlooks Loch Fyne and we were lucky enough to stay during a warm Springtime spell, so it was glorious sitting out front in the evening with a cool beer, looking out over the water - all our troubles melted away!

The rooms are refurbished, well fitted and clean, but the stairs are steep and would not suit the elderly or infirm. We found a back staircase with 2 half landings a little easier to negotiate - although not much.

The proprietors and staff are welcoming and attentive and the food is acceptable. A very pleasant, but short stay and we would certainly go there again if the opportunity arises. .

Room Tip: No double glazing and rooms towards the front of the building overlook the main road and could be po...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lancerlot
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This was an excelent break especially as we had a room with a view over the Loch. The food was excelent as was the staff. However, I would coment that my pillows were rather lumpy, there was no shaving mirror for those with poor eye sight and my wife stated that the hair dryer was not powerfull enough.

Room Tip: You must ask for a room with a Loch view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here last weekend (Saturday & Sunday night). We had room 23 on the third floor. Very comfortable with lovely views over Loch Fyne. Also good bathroom with lots of hot water. Plus free wifi.
Overall we had a great time. All the public rooms were warm and comfortable. Really good food - we ate in the bistro - and excellent real ale. Breakfast was also very good with a good buffet and hot breakfast.
I can not find a fault. We have stayed here before and think that the hotel is getting better and better. Well done to the friendly staff and mine host.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willie R
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Myself and my wife had a Voucher we had been given as a Christmas present,we booked it for 23rd and 24th March,we arrived glorious sunny day to be made very welcome at reception,we were taken to our room which a great sea-view and carefully shown where the bar and restaurant and lounges were, we were delighted with our room was very spacious with a large en-suite attached,we had booked the restaurant for evening meal but because there was only two couples for dinner it was being served in the Bistro, we went for dinner and were presented with an excellent menu ,the service was quick and very efficient we could not fault the food or presentation,the bed was the most comfortable that i have slept in a hotel for many a year,breakfast in the morning was superb great choice of cereals and juices there was plenty to chose from on the hot choices we went for full Scottish and we were not disappointed with what we got,in general it is a superb place to stay for a break and we will back for another break..

Room Tip: Ask Sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kovwirana
Reviewed 19 March 2014

If you have never been to the West of Scotland before, the experience starts with the glorious drive from Glasgow, along Loch Lomond, up and over the Rest -and- be- thankful on to Strachur with spectacular views all the way. To then be welcomed by Hector the dog and his side kick Boo was a lovely introduction to this friendly and comfortable hotel.
The receptionist took me to my beautifully decorated room which had a fantastic view over the Loch.
After taking a shower, and this was with a view of the sun setting over the Loch, I enjoyed a glass of wine in the Mac Phunn bar before having dinner.
There selection for dinner is extensive and I was delighted with my Halibut cooked and presented beautifully.
The following day my breakfast was not disappointing, banana muffins, fresh fruit the choice was wonderful. They really make an effort to please.

i can' t praise the staff and accommodation too highly, and I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Go for a Loch view,
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Unfortunately when we were there, the Scottish heavens were watering our wonderful hillsides to ensure their greenery!
This however did not detract from the location, the welcome, particularly from Hector (Hotel dog!) and of course, the staff.
We had a very comfortable room overlooking Loch Fyne, and just enjoyed the limited view.
We dined that evening in the Bistro attached to the bar. The scallops were outstanding as was the remainder of the meal.
The staff again were just so pleasant and accommodating and it would seem, all Scottish.
Breakfast was very good, three selections of fish on the varied menu, which to me highlights a certain high standard.
Our only regret was staying one night only but hopefully we can revisit.

Room Tip: A loch view, particularly on a sunny day!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strachur
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Portavadie
Taychreggan Hotel
Taychreggan Hotel
#2 of 2 in Kilchrenan

Been to The Creggans Inn? Share your experiences!