“Poor in my opinion”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitburn
Tyne And Wear, Uk
“Poor in my opinion”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a night on business, on bed and breakfast with a evening meal allowance as standard for the company I with for.

I spend one night a week in Scotland for work and I usually stay in a local premier inn, as I know I will have a good night sleep and a good meal at the adjacent Toby.

I ended up in this hotel as the premier in was full.

It looked impressive as I pulled up, and still so as I entered the reception. It really went down hill from there. I stood at reception waiting to be booked in, waited, looked for a bell - couldn't see one, waited. After about 10 mins a man came. Asked my name, which was surprising as I was waiting for an apology for the delay, which never came. I wouldn't have minded the waiting had he apologised for it. I was eventually checked in when he found my booking and advised I was in room 2. I had to ask where room 2 was. I then had to ask about my meal allowance which he confirmed I had, and I had to ask again how it worked. Not really a great customer experience and when you have been on the go over 12 hours it's rather annoying.

I was surprised when I looked on the wall and learnt the duty manager was the man checking me in. I would expect a better service from a senior member of staff, either he was ignorant or stressed. Not my problem, I'd had a bad enough day myself and I'm not a snob but I expect to be treat appropriately.

I'm on first meme terms with the staff at the premier in and everytime I go I am advised how the meal allowance works, where to go, where my room is and if there is a delay they apologise. Total contrast to this one. I tell them I already know but they still tell me I'm guessing its there script.

After that, room was average, dated but clean, bed very lumpy, window very draughty, dated bathroom but seemed clean enough, corridors shabby, restaurant very nice but wasn't impressed with my meal I had seafood pasta and it had bones in, breakfast looked ok but I I was put off before I started it really.

Waitress's ect were very pleasant.

I did not complain as I'd made my mind up I wasn't returning already and also who would I complain to considering it was the duty manager who had checked me in? had I had a better experience and been treat better I might of as it's a good location for me.

Defiantly not though.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank scott-adele-megan
hilditch, Owner at Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Firstly, please accept my apologies as the welcome you received is certainly not our norm. I can definitely confirm that the manager you spoke with is not arrogant and I know he will be annoyed with what has happened. We have an ongoing bathroom upgrade programme in place and you may have noticed from your arrival outside there are new windows in many of the rooms, again ongoing. Your bunk bed picture shows you were in one of our family rooms along with the double bed you slept in. The mattress on the double bed will be upgraded after your comment.
I am glad you found the other staff members to be Pleasant and although you have made up your mind not to return, I can only ask that if you ever do, please contact me directly.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business for two nights.
The hotel itself feels somewhat dated maybe back in the 90's. it leaves one with the impression it's "tired".

Plus
Very clean and tidy. Despite the age in and out, staff go to great lengths to impress with what they are given.

Staff are excellent, polite and attentive always smiling. Must be something in the water or just the natural Scots attitude.

Minus

Whomever designed my bathroom in room 30 must have done it on a Friday afternoon when an invite down the pub was looming and he left quickly.
The radiator is so tight against the toilet that when one sits on it, you either do so at an angle or risk third degree burns on your leg. Now I am quite a big chap so this lapses from angular to "ahhhhgggh"

The mattress could do with renewing, as I said I'm a big fella, an when rolling over in bed or merely sitting on the edge, the springs sounded like there was an oil drum band outside playing calypso tunes.
Having a back problem due to an accident, just exacerbates the issue.

I don't know whether there s an issue with the heating, or lack of? It seems to be on when I get into my room then turns off mid evening. When you get up or have a shower it's icicle time! Oh...the bathroom still works. The side of my leg looks like I was slung on a grill still.

Finally. What's with the hot water. It takes a ,minimum of 5 minutes to get hot water through. Are you using the heating water to go in the taps? No wonder its cold!

Overall
Nice place but I fear if my stay was much much longer I would have made complaints and ask to move rooms. As a frequent Best Western customer I was a little disappointed .

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andy T
hilditch, Owner at Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Hi, thank you for your comments both complimentary and constructive. Margaret Gill, GM, will be contacting you directly as you have also come through Best Westerns internal feedback programme.

I will be looking into the heating and hot water timing issues and fix these. The mattress will be replaced also. Unfortunately, the lay out of the bathrooms has been the same since 1994 and is out with my control at the present time. However, when we do up grade our bathrooms, we will certainly see if we can re configure thelay out in the space available.

Armadale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We had our daughter's wedding celebration in the Loch Maree Suite on the 19th October 2013 and the service we received from start to finish was second to none. Margaret and all her staff excelled themselves. Every bride's day is special and our daughter's was too. What originally started as a family meal to celebrate her wedding, turned into a full blown wedding, Margaret's words, and with each change made Margaret accommodated us with no fuss, what a star. The quality of the meal was excellent, and so was the evening buffet. The service during the meal was first class, each course served and cleared skilfully. There was another wedding in the larger Strathearn suite but by no means were we given any less attention. We stayed over night and the room was excellent, warm and welcoming, we actually switched the radiator off as the room was warm enough without it. In the morning we had breakfast, choice of fresh juices, fruit, cereals and then a full cooked breakfast, cooked to order, or you can have less like I did, bacon and egg only. My husband and I can't praise the hotel enough a huge thank you for making our daughter's wedding go without a hitch.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
hilditch, Owner at Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Many thanks for all your kind comments

Ballater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We attended a family wedding at the Best Western Hilcroft Hotel at the beginning of October. From our booking of the room a few months earlier to the morning we left after the wedding, we were welcomed and extremely well looked after by very professional, kind and caring staff for whom nothing seemed to be too much trouble. As a venue for a wedding it is ideal: a beautiful big room, tastefully dressed, opens on to an enclosed beautiful garden space with a summerhouse. Our room was spotless and very comfortable. Although the hotel was catering for a large number of people, the food was freshly cooked, hot and delicious. It was a very nice touch having a salver of delicious sandwiches for the guests to enjoy while the photographs were being taken. That kept us all going nicely till the wedding feast. Breakfast the following morning was also delicious and cooked to order. There was also plenty of space in the public rooms for guests to sit and have a chat. A very thoughtful touch too was a play area for children where their parents could easily keep an eye on them while being sociable with the other guests. The staff are obviously very hard-working and it shows. This is a wonderful wedding venue.

Room Tip: As far as I can make out from some of the other guests, all the rooms are very comfortable and well...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

stayed here overnight on 28th September with other family members (including my five year old granddaughter } after attending a wedding at which she was a flower girl. The reception we got on arrival as guests was welcoming and friendly our room was at the front it was bright a good size with a lovely new bathroom (could have been doing with gaining entry before 2pm for a wedding had to leave luggage in car)The wedding room itself was set out and dressed beautifully and I.m glad to say my granddaughter carried out her duties as ring bearer perfectly. There was a champagne reception with very attentive staff. However, unfortunately just as we were about to have our meal my granddaughter was sick and taken to her room she had a bit of a temperature and we asked at the reception where we could obtain "calpol " as all the guests were sitting down at their meal the reception manageress (think her name was Margaret very kindly offered to go and pick some up which she thankfully did} as grandmother I offered to stay in the room with my granddaughter and my meal was kindly delivered to the room the food was lovely although I,d definitely enjoyed it more under different circumstances (a member of staff even went the trouble of bringing some soup to try to temp my granddaughter) as the day went on sheets on the bed had to be changed mattresses washed and turned, basins brought in , jugs of cold water delivered etc and I must say nothing was too much trouble Thankfully she at last started to feel better. I cannot praise the staff of this lovely hotel enough and will certainly return and recommend it to friends

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
hilditch, Manager at Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
I hope your grand-daughter is feeling much better,

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated amidst housing with nothing else nearby so somewhat isolated unless you want to drive. However very clean throughout, spacious rooms and comfortable. Staff all very friendly and welcoming and were helpful with business needs. Breakfast and dinner both very good although service just a tad slow. A good option for a business trip if the location suits you.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This hotel is tastefully furnished in a modern style. Superb bathroom and soft and luxurious beds.
Very helpful and friendly staff.
Pleasant bar and good restaurant.
Dinner service was a little slow on the evening I was there but there was a good range of food, including dished featuring a Scottish influence!
Good traditional breakfast, with self service starters and as well as a traditional full breakfast there was also a choice of kippers or poached haddock.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitburn
Mercure Livingston
#2 of 4 in Livingston
Macdonald Houstoun House
Hotel ibis budget Edinburgh Business Park
Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club

Been to Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel? Share your experiences!