“Avoid at all cost”
Review of Caldecott Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fritton
Caldecott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Fritton B&B and Inns
Stubbington, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all cost”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Staff not organised, the manager has today admitted they had doubled booked our lunch party with a wedding, so we got very sloppy seconds. Roast dinner didn't have roast potatoes, 12 roasts had two small dishes with 4 new potatoes in each (that was meant to be enough for 12 people) what a joke. Two toad in the holes were burnt beyond being edible, the waitress (with attitude) was reluctant to have these swapped.
One roast dinner was spilt as being presented to one person, the same waitress said she would wipe up the spilt gravy but carried on serving other plates to our party!
Total nightmare, our complaints were not acted upon and finally we managed to get 10% off all food to "show no hard feelings" if it wasn't for being my Nan's birthday I would have left without paying as not up to a cafe standard let alone a so called hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Alan H

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I found this hotel on the internet, booked it a very short notice and had a fantastic time. The staff were excellent, the room was clean, comfortable and very spacious. The food was excellent and I could find no fault in anything or anyone to do with the hotel. The scenery was beautiful and the weather was excellent too. I would recommend the place to anyone and I have already re-booked to stay again.

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment and request a lower numbered room. (1 to 4)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
wirral
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Lack of communication made a bad impression. We phoned to say we would not arrive until 10pm only to be told receptionist left at 7pm and there would be no one to let us in.
Luckily we were able to delay our dinner date and were able to collect the key. We were not able to access the lounge that night as the rooms had been alarmed.
The room was clean and comfortable, and the breakfast excellent.
Staff on our arrival were curt and unfriendly.If only they had communicated their difficulties, we would have changed our arrival time to accommodate them. As it was, it left us feeling annoyed,and spoilt the start of our evening.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizwirral
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Having spent the weekend prior to Christmas at Caldecott Hall we have to say that we were extremly disppointed. The hotel & location is fine but sadly lacking in other aspects
Firstly, The lack of staff was very apparent from the time we arrived.
Next, each one of the few staff although they worked hard and tried their best, it didn't stop them telling us how unhappy and disgruntled they were ( we really didn't need this )
We appreciate that the hotel wasn't full but we didn't expect to have to sit wait for the chef to arrive after 9am to cook breakfast.Saturdays breakfast was OK but Sundays breakfast was a disgrace.
We had originally invited two friends to dinner on Saturday evening, in the event they couldn't join us , a blessing in disguise as we would have been embarassed by the standard of the meal and bar shortages.
When I booked I was advised that the hotel restaurant wasn't open on Sunday evenings...which I accepted but wasn't informed until the Sunday morning that the whole hotel was closed and that we would be unable to use the lounge or get a drink at the bar.
We booked this stay to include golf...but the course was closed due to cold weather on Sunday & Monday so we couldn't play.
We could have used the Barn Works (pool & gym) but there were no therapists on site to use any of the treatments.
I feel that I have been sold a package that was not as advertised and had any management person been available to speak to when we checked out I would certainly have disputed the charges. We did write to complain and were offered a free 4 ball & lunch but as we have no intentions of playing in the area in the future, we requested a part refund instead. All emails since to the hotel have been ignored.I now feel as if I've been robbed.
In summary the whole experience was over priced, under staffed and understocked.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Jan G, General Manager at Caldecott Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Since your visit in December 2011 the hotel is under new management. We have a new team of staff who are happy to serve our guests whether resident or non resident and that the issues you mention have have now been sorted out.
UK
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This hotel came recommended to me as I was looking for a quiet hotel on the outskirts of Great Yarmouth whilst on business. I did not arrive until late but received a warm welcome upon check in. The Hotel checked if I wanted an evening meal and also confirmed at what time I would like to take Breakfast the next morning.
I took my meal in the Bar rather than the main restaurant and the full menu was available. The menu was diverse and good value for the money. The food is cooked to a high standard and the portions were of a generous size. The service was great and had that personal touch which is great credit to the hotel.
I had a standard double room which was clean spacious and comfortable and had an undisturbed nights sleep. The room has a Flatscreen TV and access to Freeview TV and there is free WI-FI access although I did not use it. The bathroom was clean and fairly modern and in addition the hotel provide Molton Brown toiletries.
Breakfast is served in the Restaurant and there is a choice of Continental or a Full English Breakfast and again the standards are high.
I would definitely stay here again whether it be for business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Hopton on Sea Great Yarmouth Norfolk
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We visited the golf course and had a lovely round of golf. Pristine grounds. The hall itself
was very picturesque and everywhere it was very clean and well presented. Then we
came to have a meal.

Well if you have two hours to spend just to ask for a drink, order your meal and actually receive it, that is OK. Couldn´t critisize the food it was everything we could ask for, when we
finally got someone to take the order and then for it to be served.

To pay for it was just the same. We had find someone to take our money. Just as well we were honest.

Therefore, by all means stay there but do not expect to be served in a respectable amount of time.

Room Tip: We did not actually stay only had a meal.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2011

This hotel is half a mile from the road, and when you arrive at the hotel you cannot help to see that the gardens are a picture. We were greeted by Hannah a very bright and most helpful young lady. She looked after us well. We were in the Caldicate suite which was spacious clean comfortable and very very quiet. The restaurant is small and cosy, and whilst the meals may not be award winners yet they are good and more than adequate. The waitresses and even the cleaning staff were so pleasent that we cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Only avoid room 3. It is near the kitchen extractor fans.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Been to Caldecott Hotel? Share your experiences!