“Bliss”

Cuisines: Latin, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Cocina del Mar is known for its exquisite variety of fresh fish and seafood specialties. It utilizes only the freshest possible ingredients offered by La Baja, offering a light, simple, casual and progressive menu. We would call Baja, coastal, seafood restaurant concept. Is the best place for guests, owners and local visitors to celebrate life, love and friendship in a unique seating that maximizes views of the Sea of Cortez. Cocina del Mar embodies the simplicity and elegance of natural & fresh dining, the restaurant focuses on the pure essence of taste, with a genuine passion for providing an opportunity to slow down and indulge in a dining experience carefully crafted for the mind, body, and soul. Featuring local fare presented in a vibrant ─ bare style, such as tuna crudo ─ jicama taquitos or perfectly ripe heirloom tomatoes with tomatillo salsa. Along the menu a selection of local, seasonal, sustainable and organic ingredients; such as simple grilled grouper with a ripe-raw tomato sauce or small progressive bites offered directly at the table, create a freshly and wholesome concept. CDM cuisine is based on the product of the coast of Baja California, where Cortez Sea local ingredients are the stars along with seasonal fresh organic vegetables from Cabo’s near small towns. This Cuisine is highly inspired by Mexican flavors. A menu inspired in seasonal and locally grown ingredients full of Mexican flavors with some Mediterranean hints. A selection of appetizers from an Abalone with green tomatillo sauce, to fresh oysters with passion fruit ─ light spicy cocktail sauce. The Chef highlights the wide selection of La Baja ingredients, resulting dishes such as roasted octopus with peppers, avocado and toasted white corn or al pastor totoaba with annatto seed sauce and grilled pineapple. Cocina del Mar is already known for showing a real empathy with those vegetarian trend healthy eaters who can enjoy an oven beet salad with hibiscus vinaigrette or a pan roasted eggplant with pico de gallo and cilantro.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Celebrated a friends engagement with dinner at Cocina del Mar. The ambiance and the food definitely rival El Farallon. Our server Carlos was perfect.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Food and menu selection were better than average, the location waaaaaay above average. The service was also excellent...

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Having been to Esperanza several times in the past, I had never had a chance to dine at Cocina del Mar. One of my very good friends suggested it, so we went this past Saturday, and my only regret is that I didn't try it earlier. My companion has been to the restaurant many times, and it was a special treat to bring me along to share it with her. From the moment we arrived, until we stood up to leave, everything was amazing! The menu is presented in courses which I wasn't sure about at first, being somewhat of a "picky" eater. Each item was perfectly prepared, and served with an abundance of enthusiasm. I must say that our waiter "Lupe" was really the one responsible for pulling together all of the components of our meal from drinks to dessert. From start to finish, he was very personable in a way that many servers just can't seem to master. I will certainly return to Esperanza and Cocina del Mar the next chance I get, and look forward to sharing my experience with other folks looking to do a trip to Cabo.

1  Thank David52555
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I'm not the best reviewer, although we have dined at many outstanding restaurants, I've only written about 5 Yelp reviews and this is my first Trip Advisor review, too bad it's not a good one. We arrived 10 minutes late on purpose, as the previous night at Sunset Da Mona Lisa at 6:30 was extremely hot at that time. My wife hurt her foot and the person who greeted us at the taxi offered to take us in the golf cart to avoid the stairs down, which was nice, however, once there, we were taken to a table down two sets of stairs, I'm not sure if there were tables for 2 up top but nobody asked. The view was nice, waves crashing on the rocks etc... We ordered a sparkling water, got our bread and all seemed well at that point. We got the wine list on an iPad and I ordered a glass of wine, which was a bit pricey ($13-20US) but based on where we were, that's ok. They brought an Amuse Bouche which was ok, then we were ready to order. The only choices were 3 courses (high $60's) or 4 courses (high $70's). They brought the first apps, soup du jour was very good, surf n turf (app) was just ok, then after what seemed like a long time with no food, they brought more bread (which I really didn't need) and after more time with no food, the next app came, ravioli, which was good, not great. After more time with an empty wine glass, he asked if I wanted another glass, I said yes. Then the entrees came, 20+ minutes later, my wine came. I got the filet mignon with risotto, which was very good, my wife got the sea bass and asked for no ham. Not only was there ham on the plate, the fish had what we guessed was small bacon bits? The fish was good, not great, and it wasn't how we ordered it. When we weren't quite finished, someone came to take our plates, we said we were still working, which was a mistake because another half hour went by before they came back, empty wine and water. We got the desert menu and ordered the soufflé, which after it was too late, we realized that it takes longer than the other deserts, and it sure did, minimum 30 minutes, maybe longer... By this time my wife wasn't feeling well, needed to go to the restroom and didn't want to have to go up and then back down the stairs so she just told me to get the bill, and I asked, and waited, then the desert came, which looked great, he apologized for taking so long, but I wasn't going to eat it with my wife waiting up top, he offered to bring it to our room, but we weren't staying there, so he took it away, no offer of a to-go box. They brought the bill and some mini muffins and some little sweet bites but I just wanted my bill and go. The bill included 15% gratuity, which usually only happens for parties of 6 or more, and in most cases I would always leave 20%+, but in this case, I wouldn't have even left 15%, especially based on the service! or lack thereof! The waiter that disappeared into radio silence once he sensed a problem, and lack of any formal apology or subtraction of the desert from our bill, or anything to compensate for the horrible experience. Some people probably want to spend 3 hours there, but we just wanted to have a nice meal, a great experience and go do something else... Sorry to be one of the few that leave a bad review, but it is what it is....

1  Thank Marc S
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Food & Service are both well above average, but the setting and the views are what you'll never forget! In the evening it is incredible to watch the views change as the sun sets and the stars come out. It is certainly on the pricier side, but it isn't way over the top and when you return home this will be the first story you tell about your trip to Cabo.