“Very nice, but not outstanding”

The Resort at Pedregal
Ranked #4 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Denver, Colorado
“Very nice, but not outstanding”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I will start by saying that the Capella is a very nice hotel. If you are hoping to find a deal or a low price, you will have to look elsewhere. The hotel caters to those that can afford high prices.

I stated in my original reservation that we would have 2 couples traveling together and that we would be celebrating wedding anniversaries and birthdays. We arrived to have margarita's in hand within a few minutes, which was a very nice touch. Our concierge showed us around the property and offered an upgrade to a larger room, however the cost did not justify making the move. For 2 people the Capella room was more than adequate. As mentioned previously, we were traveling with another couple, but they put our rooms on two different sides of the resort. It made it a bit frustrating to navigate the resort at night (as it is very dark with windy pathways and stairs). I also mentioned that we were celebrating various events, however, they only noted one birthday (very odd). However, they did provide a bottle of champagne for that event. The resort grounds are absolutely beautiful, very well maintained and the staff that you encounter is very courteous.

The restaurants are average at best. Don Manuels is overpriced and the food was mediocore. We all had fish and all agreed that it didn't have the flavor or taste to justify the cost. El Farron has a great concept (you pick your fish), but the time to get it served (over an hour) and the quality was not very good. We did take a cab to Esperanza for dinner and it was truly outstanding. I would recommend not eating at the resort.

As for the rooms, they are very large. The furniture, tile work and bathrooms are well appointed. I liked that fact that they brought 2 or 3 corona's and chips and salsa daily. However, the plunge pool was downright cold and unusable. It is not a private plunge pool or deck as advertised. Additionally, I found 2 cockroaches - one alive (that I killed) and a dead one. If I am going to pay around $750 a night, that is a huge blunder. We stayed 4 nights and the maids were only late one day. All of the rooms seem to have different features (our's had an outdoor fire place), but the other couple didn't have one. So if you are looking for something in particular, make sure you ask for it.

The pool area's are nice and the attendants try their best to keep you hooked up with water. However, we did have a specific incident at the pool that wasn't addressed by management. Again, for this level of hotel, to have poor follow-up is unacceptable.

My wife did have a day at the Spa and said it was wonderful.

Overall, I would rate this hotel as nice, but honestly not worth the price. They do their best to get it close, but not all the way. I think couple's would be better served to look at all the options in Cabo. it seems like Cabo is trying to target high-end travelers, but are struggling to get it perfect.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
nor.cali
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We were here for 5 nights. It was a chose between four other places we've stayed previously, and this one as a new place to stay. I'm glad we chose this place. It is awesome! The rooms, service and food, hands down the best we had in our previous trips to Cabo. As a matter of fact, we are strongly considering a repeat stay during next trip. It is expensive, I kid you not, but it does worth every penny you will spend (and they do charge you up the wazoo, I heard today during breakfast, one couple paid $75 for two glasses! of champagne, which wasn't even an expensive label) so be ready to pay, but try to enjoy it, I'm sure you will, we did a 100%

One thing that really got me wondering...and I hope someone from management or ownership is reading...not only they include a tip on everything, and it is at 15% whether one is happy with services provided or not, but they add a tip before adding the taxes!, so when your bill comes, you have food, beverages, tip, taxes and then total.
Please let the consumer decide not only how much to leave as a tip, but make it the last line of the bill, and do not add it automatically.

Room Tip: Any of their 66 rooms are great! Get any room, some of them have a better view of the ocean then oth...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SF_Ru
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I have traveled extensively in the world and this place is in the top 5. Capella Pedregal is beautiful, clean, has amazing food and offers great service. This is a quiet relaxed hotel and not a wild fun partying hotel like the ME Cabo. So if you are looking for a lot of action this is not the place for you. Although the one and only resort at Palmilla and some other resorts in "Cabo" are probably as nice and relaxing, the one thing Capella Pedregal has that none of the other top end resorts have is location. Capella is located right in town and you can walk to the marina and mall. The others are a long expensive cab ride away. One thing that I should mention is that you cannot swim in the ocean at pedregal because it is too dangerous. So if you are someone that likes to go in the ocean you are better off at a resort on the Sea of Cortez side of the Peninsula. Something special about this place is you can see whales migrating and playing just off shore from your room. Additoinally, the jumping manta rays can be seen just of the beach and they are amazing as well.

Room Tip: I would stay on the top floor of building 2 or 3 if you want the best views.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Oh I am kinda picky...when a place says it's gonna spoil me (and especially when they are charging me plenty) I want to believe them! Well, this place was the best...a few places I have been have come close but Capella Pedregal has now topped my list! You will pay for this luxury but we were given an upgrade upon arrival. A private Escalade with a pleasant driver met us at the airport and once you pass the gate and enter the amazing torch lit tunnel lit with chandeliers, you know you have chosen a unique place! Our suite was amazing. It is even better than they can capture in the photos online. The spa is top notch. Be sure to allow plenty of time to enjoy the amenities when you book your treatment. It is heavenly! The food is also fabulous. Do not miss the opportunity of a meal on the oceanside cliff that is El Farallon if you enjoy seafood. It is a most romantic setting and the food...fanastic! The fresh catch is laid out for your perusal and when you pick, it is simply grilled to perfection and served with delicious sauces! Things to know, as other reviewers have said, the beach at this area is not for swimming because of dangerous currents but we did have lovely long walks and you can see the whales from shore! I would also agree that it is best for couples as even older children would probably find it too quiet. But, we loved that it was a short walk or ride to go to restaurants or shops in town and our older children would probably love that it is close to the nightlife of Cabo! We also enjoyed taking walks (or should I call it- a hike) up Pedregal to see the homes and get the fabulous views from the top of the development of Pedregal. I can't wait to go back and usually I am one to try new places because there is so much to see of the world and so little time- but this is one I yearn for again!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bontemps
Town and Country, Missouri
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Beautiful accommodations, service over the top, location top notch. Close to town but still separate from the rest of the world. Would love to return again. We travel every year at Christmas with our family and this remains our favorite trip of all. We stayed in a four bedroom villa that came with a majordomo who cooked and handled any issues that arose. Love this place!

Room Tip: Very expensive but worth every penny for a special occasion. Rooms close to the resort next door ca...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ruthkred
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here for a quick 3- day getaway (our kids stayed at home). We have stayed at the Esperanza before and both hotels are amazing, each with its own unique appeal and advantages (more on that below...)

First I do not think this hotel is great for kids as it's VERY quiet and the restaurants are more upscale and not very kid-friendly. The only kids we saw on our vacation were in private condos with their own pools. If you have children and want to go somewhere upscale in Cabo, I would recommend the family/villa part of Esperanza or Cabo Azul. We booked the standard (e.g. cheapest) room available since they all come with plunge pools and we figured we would spend most of our time outside anyway. But let me tell you even the cheapest rooms are AMAZING with great views and are probably on-par with some of the more expensive rooms of One and Only and Esperanza. since I knew the hotel was not full I asked to see some of the other rooms available and we switched to one that had a completely unobstructed view of the ocean (definitely be sure to ask if another room is available if you don't like your original room)..but the lay out of the hotel is such that they all have good ocean-front views, decent size balconies and infinity pools.

Instead of spending the $$ on a fancier room, I would recommend spending the $$ on meals as both of the main restaurants there are amazing with some of the best quality hotel food I have ever had. service also was great at both restaurants. Book El Farallon early as we waited until we arrived and they only had 9:30pm reservations left.

I also recommend spending some $$$ on the spa. I had such an amazing massage experience that I booked it again the next day.. And I have never done this. It felt like getting a massage under a waterfall. And the little room you go into to get a foot massage before each treatment is divine. The spa experience was so unique and utterly relaxing that it was truly worth the $$.

I also love the location since you can easily go into town for a nice meal; whereas at other resorts it is an expensive cab ride. And service, as everyone else has mentioned, is impeccable and attentive without being suffocating.

Capella vs. Esperanza, in my opinion:
- Rooms: both nice, but Capella rooms a better value if you book the standard room since they come with infinity pools and have views comparable to Esperanza's more expensive rooms. I do like room showers at Esperanza where you can take a shower overlooking the ocean. And they do seem a bit more spacious overall.
- Restaurant: quality of food is better at Capella, but the restaurant views are better at Esperanza (their one main restaurant is quite stunning...capella's main restaurant barely has a view)
- Gym: Esperanza gym is nicer and I especially love the free outdoor yoga classes
- Spas: Both amazing and so worh the $$$
- Pools: Both have equally beautiful, relaxing infinity pools. I did love the foot massages at Esperanza which I didn't get at Capella.
- Service: Both amazing.
- Families: Esperanza is better for families with more outdoor areas, a family friendly pool etc.\

We have also visited The One and Only and it seems more to me like it could be any generic resort in Hawaii. It is lush and very nice, but to me lacks the charm and character and uniqueness of Capella or Esperanza...which I think is part of why you go to Mexico (instead of Hawaii). Plus I think the views of Capella and Esperanza are nicer as you just look out onto pure endless water; whereas The One and Only views the other side of town in the distance. And One and Only seems more crowded with people crammed together in lounge chairs by the pool. Esperanza and Capella seem more intimate and quiet. The benefit I see to One and Only is that it is more like a little town and you have bikes to ride around, more activities/classes and a swimmable beach (the beach at Capella is defintiely not swimmable)

Room Tip: Just get a standard room as they are amazing and I don't see the value in spending the $$ for a...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank LAtravelfan
Reviewed 1 January 2012

This is the first review I've written but I felt compelled to write this. Upon arrival in a brand new stretch escalade, we were greeted by nearly ten people waiting for us. My girlfriend and I were handed margaritas as we stepped out of the vehicle. The general manager of the hotel (who would ask us how our stay was going nearly ten more times) said hello as did the residences manager and staff. We were walked to our room which was beautifully decorated and had a view of the pool and the beach/ocean.

We headed straight to the pool where we met "Angel"- one of the kindest and hardest working young men we have ever encountered. He made our trip feel like every dollar we spent was worth it. This man is intuitive enough and hard working enough to be running the hotel. Luckily, for at least some time, guests of Capella get the treat of having him wait on them. We remarked that we wouldn't be surprised if "Angel" gets offered a lot of money to come work for a guest who happens to own another hotel.

The pool was the perfect size, not too crowded. The pool food was excellent. And honestly, we ate at Edith's and Market at Palmilla and the food at Capella was far better. There really is no reason to leave this hotel.

A couple other notes-

- Try the fishing trip for a half day. We saw whales, dolphins, sea lions, and caught plenty of fish. When we got back to the hotel, Angel and the staff made sure our fish was prepared fresh by the head chef!

- the spa is among the best in the world. The experience was noteworthy.

- it was clear everyone staying at Capella was very wealthy but people were friendly for the most part. The beach and pool can be as private as you like it to be. If you like to socialize there is plenty of that, but if you wish to be left alone, that's easy.

Overall, I spent over six thousand dollars in four days on this trip and if I'd been told it was double, I would have paid double. I'm coming back next year and every year after until someone finds some place better.

• Stayed December 2011