“Best service ever, suite w hot tubs off the charts”

The Resort at Pedregal
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed in a suite with 2 patios overlooking the ocean (one had an infinity hot tub and firepit). The service at this hotel is outstanding - when my beau was stung by a bee, they immediately sent a nurse to check on him. Food excellent. You must go to the spa also.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PaulaPalmTree
CapellaManagement, Manager at The Resort at Pedregal, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Paula Palm Tree,

Thank you for your visit to Capella Pedregal and for taking the time to post your review. From your description, it sounds like you were enjoying one of our top floor Estrella Suites! So sorry that your beau was stung by a bee, but happy to see that it was not serious. Fortunately, we do have on staff nurses who are ready to assist in any emergency.

Thank you once again for your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at Capella Pedregal in Cabo (children stayed at home) in June 2013. We had not travelled to Mexico and had not heard of Capella as a brand. We stayed for ten days in an Estrella Suite. This was the most relaxing vacation we had since the kids blessed us. This property is truly wonderful and with a <4 hour flight from Atlanta and easy access once in Mexico, it will be an easy return for us. Truly wonderful in every regard.

Room - The Estrella Suite is fantastic. Awesome suite with large bedroom, two decks, a plunge pool, fireplace and firepit. Views everywhere you look.

Dining - Aside from having the wonderful a la carte breakfast every morning down at Don Manuels. we ate at Crudo by the pool, DMs for dinner and El Farallon which hangs off the side of the cliff. The latter is one of the most romantic and wonderful places to dine - ambiance is served up in waves (views, live music, waves crashing at your feet, etc.). I had also planned a romantic beach dinner but the wave activity was too intense. That day, I caught a 60 lb Wahoo and had it fileted dockside and brought back about 10 lbs to the resort. They prepared it three different ways and we had a 5 course meal in the wine cellar instead - the best of our trip - as we dined on grilled Wahoo, Wahoo ceviche and other preparations.

Service - everyone had a smile on their face and were happy to serve you. Every morning for breakfast, we asked for something different from the prepared side of the buffet and the gentlemen always replied, "Why Not!!".

Pool - Zero edge pool overlooking the ocean. Pool boys grabbing you whatever you need while spa staff gives you in chair massages poolside. This is a small resort, so chairs fill up. Go early - because the beach here is nice to look at but consider the name (Pedregal = stony place) - it is not so good for hanging out on.

The Auriga Spa was nice. We did a couples massage and the spa was well appointed.

Little Things - chips, salsa and beer in your room everyday at 4pm. How about the GM hosts a party mid-week and talks to all the guests? Most GMs don't want to be found. A nice gym for working out. Golf cart through the tunnel into town.

This is a special place. We will return. I would also seek out their other properties, although this ex-big brand start-up has only 5-6 properties online now.

This is also a specific place. It does not have night life or a nice beach. It is about soaking up sun and relaxing. I question whether we would come with kids. They have a separate family pool and a kids club but neither would hold the attention of small kids for too long.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kevin M

Dear Kevin M

Thank you for posting your wonderful and detailed review. I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your couple’s getaway! Congratulations on landing the large Wahoo and that you got to enjoy the efforts of your fishing excursion. Our private dining room in the wine cellar is a great option for those times when the waves are a little too active for a beach dinner!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Pedregal or one of our other Capella hotels around the world. We currently have five Capella open and will soon launch our latest property in St. Lucia, Capella Marigot Bay.

Thank you once again for your visit.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I don't know if I will ever afford to come back to Capella but I'm so glad we have memories of this beautiful hotel. Everything is perfect - from the beautiful 4 bedroom villa we stayed in with friends, to the beautiful infinity pool, the daily cornitas and guacamole service, to the pristine and quiet beach. The location is the best in Cabo. It's so nice to be able to walk to town and to restaurants there. No need for expensive taxi's. This is the perfect relaxing holiday to take with just couples, friends, or even family. I hope to see you again one day, Capella!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank cpmurphyboy

Dear CP Murphy Boy

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you had the opportunity to visit the resort and to experience one of our wonderful villas that are ideal for families traveling together. The May, we have launched our new “Suite Life” promotion that offers some very attractive prices and promotions for our larger residential style suite. We hope that you will be able to take advantage of this promotion and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back once again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Top notch quality hotel from the moment you drive through the tunnel. It opens to the most spectacular view of the ocean. The service is of the highest quality and the rooms with the dipping pool are over the top. With town minutes away, you don't need a car.

Best spa I've ever been to!!

Stayed: May 2013

Dear JGC 1963

Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your visit to Capella Pedregal. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience. I very much appreciate your very kind comments about our staff, and for your special rating of our Auriga Spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back once again soon!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I just got back from Capella Pedregal and I am already planning a return trip. It was private, beautiful and everything everyone says it is. I love that we could walk into town for some cheap local food and I loved that we could lounge by the pool all day without too much of a crowd. My favorite things were: green juice offered, the spa, el farallon restaurant was magical (make reservations in advance if you can) That said, I noticed a few reviewers saying it is too pricey at Capella. I will say, I am from NYC so I tend not to get sticker shock often, Capella is pricey yes. But you get what you pay for. I have stayed at other 5 star places in Cabo (One and Only) and that is equally as good, just different and not near town. Prices fluctuate throughout the year so if it matters to you, compare the 5 star places and go to the one that offers the best deal. You cant go wrong with Capella though... very special place.

Room Tip: Stay near El Farallon restaurant for unobstructed views
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KJS S

Dear KJS S

Thank you for your very special and thoughtful review. We are so pleased to have received such positive recognition from so many of our reviewers, and am pleased to learn that we lived up to our reputation and your expectations.

Glad that you were able to take advantage of our close proximity to town and enjoy some of the local activities and food.

We look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

My name is Pedro Romero, and i just needed to express myself again for the third time through trip advisor how much me and my lady love this place we call heaven on earth. We have loved it so much that we have came to this hotel three times already, and let me tell you, its not going to be our last time.
I would not know where to start or where to end when it comes to expressing my feelings, thoughts and memories about capella pedregal. I personally feel that as soon as you approach "the tunnel" that is when you start feeling it in youre bones that youre about to be introduced to the most amaizing hotel in all cabo san lucas.
The first thing that happens after you get passed the tunnel is you getting hipnotized with the beauty that youre eyes concieve as youre being welcomed to heaven on earth. Youre speachless due to all the beauty that surrounds you; and before you know it, youre girlfriend is asking you to please breath.
You get greated with a deliscious drink and then taken to youre beautiful room where youre personel plunge pool is waiting for you!!!
Before i continue i need to say that this place is just not known for its beauty and materialism, but for its quality lovable staff that i now consider my good friends. when ever you need help, some one is always there to assist you, if you have a question or concern, you better believe no one there will hesitate to help you right there and then.
The mornings are special to us because we get to have breakfast at the most delicious place ever, (Don Manuel's) this place and their breakfast kicks butt!!!!!!!!! from there you walk up to their beach beads next to the main pool and and just relax on one of them while youre delicious breakfast settles in. Once that happens, theres nothing like jumping in the pool, have a few refreshing drinks while you meet new people from all over the world.
Ofcourse how can i forget they're world known massages, these massages will make you feel fifteen years younger by the time theyre done with you, "a must do"
We would love to finish off our evenings either having appetizers outside Don Mauel's while listening to live soft music or going to they're number one restaurant in capella pedregal, "El Farallon" this restaurant is enbedded on a mountain right next to the ocean!!!!! yes you heard me right..... youre enjoying fresh ocean food while the waves are hitting the side of the mountain that youre sitting on, just absolutely breath taking!!!!
One thing is reading reviews, and another is expiriencing it, so i encourage everybody that has just read my thoughts and love that i have for this hotel and ALL their employees to stop what youre doing and start making plans to come to Capella Pedregal and meet their amaizing staff and to prepare your self to be treated like a king and queen.

Room Tip: every room there has its privacy, comfort, and loving feeling. some just bigger then others, depend...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pedro r

Dear Pedro Romero,

All of us here at Capella Pedregal are so gratified for your review and honored that you and your wife have made a special visit to our hotel for the past three years. You have shared just about every detail of the resort, and we so very much appreciate your very kind words.

I have special greetings from all the staff, especially Ricardo and Marisol who had been delighted to be your Personal Assistants during your visit. All of us look forward to your next visit and creating some more special memories!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Ok. Cabo San Lucas has become pricy, I get it. There are several superlative resorts - Las Ventanas, Palmilla, Esperanza - that have raised the bar to a very high level and Capella is positioned to be in this group. If there is a problem with the overall concept of ultra pricy resorts in Cabo, it's not that these resorts are not great. They are.

The conundrum about Cabo and San Jose is that the atmosphere of the surrounding communities, while quaint, fun and high energy, defies imagining how many businesses justify the kind of price gauging that occurs, not just in the hotels.... That being said, we still love going to Cabo.

My wife and I have stayed at Las Ventanas several times and Palmilla several times. These resorts are fabulous and pricy. But the service level is so high that frankly, THEY ARE WORTH IT. The staff is impeccable with its attendance to every need. You walk into the pool area or the beach and if there is no chair, THEY GO GET ONE and make sure you are situated to enjoy your day. By the end of a stay at either of these resorts, you can only wonder at the training that goes into such perfection.

This March, we decided to try Capella and booked through American Express. The agent said it is currently their top rated resort in Cabo. It's brand new and the location is unique in that it sits very near the town of Cabo San Lucas on the ocean side of the peninsula. You're going to see many great reviews for this property. I agree that the room product is great ($1,200 per night) and the views are great. We saw whales every day. What is not so great is that this place is so overpriced in so many ways that by the end, I frankly had to say...NOT WORTH IT. Obviously, I thought the room rate was ok. But here are some examples: Chap stick $20. Lobster at the fine dining restaurant $75 per pound. Cocktails $14-$16. Beer $9. Bottled water at breakfast $10. By the time we left dinner with no bottle of wine (the wine list sucks) $340. Each day at the pool with a small lunch, plus minus $300. All F&B charges had an 18% gratuity built in - which is ok since I usually tip more (and I did).

Some of the insults to injury? The service was just ok. The experience around the pool and beach just ok. The pool was so crowded that guests were saving chairs starting at 9:00 am and staff could not figure out how to make something happen for you if you showed up later. Fend for yourself appears to be the rule, which is fine most places, but NOT when you're paying that kind of money. Sitting on the beach, I found we needed to go GET a staff person for service.

More? We tip well. Always leave extra on the chit and always leave at least $5.00 per day for the housekeeper. When they emailed me the final bill, I had to inquire what several charges were for. First, there is $184 per day that goes to the federal government (this is above the occupancy tax). Then, there is $172.50 per day that they call "service charge." This, they explained, is for "gratuities for all the staff that serviced us at the property." That's $700 in tips we thought we already paid...

So this trip was $8,300 for a four night stay at Capella Pedrigal (with no spa treatments!), plus airfare, dinners out in the city, airport transportation, etc. We have stayed at 5 star properties all over North America, Hawaii, Mexico and Europe and the truth is have never felt quite so taken advantage of.

Proceed at your own risk.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
48  Thank Joseph B
CapellaManagement, Manager at The Resort at Pedregal, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Joseph B,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and your thoughts not only about Cabo but also about your experience at Capella Pedregal. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your room, found the facilities and the setting to be great, however, I regret that all was not perfect with your visit, and have taken note of your comments and reviewed them with our team so that they we can affect those changes or improvements to ensure that these are not issues in the future. I can assure you that during the busy spring break period, we had all of our available poolside chaise lounges out by the pool, and while the Don Manuel’s Pool was frequently busy, there generally was space available at our Beach Club Pool which has its own full service staff. I do apologize for any lapses in service at the beach. I agree with you that this should not happen as the service and amenities at the beach should be at the same level as poolside.

I did want to comment on pricing and the additional taxes and service charges. The tax rate and the service charge that is applied to the room rate is fully disclosed at the time of booking and our hotel confirmations indicate the total amount to be paid including the tax and the service charge. We do this in an effort to ensure that the guest is fully aware of the charges at the time of booking and prior to arrival. I note that you booked through American Express, who has this full information as well, so I am dependent on them to fully relay the tax and service information to you as we do not usually have direct contact with our guests booked by American Express prior to their arrival.

Regarding food and beverage, our menus feature a wide variety of imported and national beers priced in the $6-$6.50 range as well as some specialty Mexican crafted beers that come from of the small microbreweries in Mexico, priced in the $9 range. Cocktail pricing varies depending on the type of drink and alcohol selected. The $14-$16 cocktails that you cite in your comments are on the high end of our offerings and are for the specialty crafted cocktails that utilize special small batch liquors and a variety of freshly squeezed juices, house made bitters or syrups, or perhaps were one of barrel aged cocktails. This pricing is in line with many of the other resorts in our area, including those that you have cited in your comments. There is an additional 16% sales tax and 15% service charge added to the pricing and this is noted on all of our menus as well as clearly noted on the guest check when presented to your for signature.

I apologize for the length of my response, however, I did want to take the opportunity to point out that we do have a variety of options in our food and beverage program, and that there are some things, such as the local tax rate that are beyond our control. We will most certainly address those areas that you have highlighted where we can do better, and I sincerely hope that we will once again be able to welcome you back to Capella Pedregal so that you can fully experience the type of service and attention for which we strive to provide to all our guests.