“Heaven on Earth does exist...it's called Capella Pedregal!!”

The Resort at Pedregal
Ranked #4 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Atlanta, Georgia
“Heaven on Earth does exist...it's called Capella Pedregal!!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just returned from a four-night stay to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. Although we had read reviews and visited the website and had an idea of what to expect, those expectations are completely blown away from the moment you meet the staff at the airport for the arranged transportation to the resort.

I arrived an hour earlier than my girlfriend and the staff was happy to take my luggage and recommended a couple of places to relax in the shade while we waited for her arrival. Once she exited Customs/Immigration, we were promptly whisked away to the resort by our super-courteous driver, Luis. Within forty minutes we were at the majestic entrance of the Capella Pedregal, which leads to a tunnel carved into the mountain that leads to the ocean and the resort itself. The guard gets your name and your margarita preference...you can guess what's waiting for you as you exit the vehicle!

We were met by Alan, our Personal Assistant. It was great putting a face to the name and voice. Alan had contacted us prior to arrival to ensure that any requests such as activities, dinner reservations, room amenities, etc. were taken care of.

He escorted us to our oceanfront Casita and our jaws dropped again. A private pool (accessible from the patio, bedroom and tiled shower room!!), patio, firepit, sunning lounges, hammock on the beach...anything that you could possibly need and not to leave!

Our Casita was attended to by Gerardo, who took care of refreshing towels, moving umbrellas, setting up any food/beverage that needed to ordered, keeping our bottled water/wines/sodas iced at all times. He was extremely pleasant but also had the deft touch of knowing when we needed him and being completely unobtrusive when we were just relaxing.

We had dinner at El Farallon which is a MUST! Just like every facet of Capella, the food, drink, service and ambiance is perfect! You do not order off an ordinary menu but actually go over to a "fish monger" who displays and thoroughly explains the catch of the day and how it's going to be prepared. (We had dinner at other locations in Cabo San Lucas but would have been happy to stay here all weekend!!)

Check-out was a breeze. You receive your pre-bill in a cool leather "wallet" that is on your front door which gives you time to review it...once you're at the check-out desk, it's simply a signature and you're done...super efficient!

Everything at Capella Pedregal is first class but their staff is EXCEPTIONAL and that is what makes the difference!

We cannot wait to return!!

4 Thank RafaATL
CapellaManagement, General Manager at The Resort at Pedregal, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear RafaATL,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful and detailed review. It was a pleasure to relay your compliments to the staff, especially Luis, Alan, and Gerardo who took such great care of your during your visit. Thank you as well for your wonderful review of El Farallon, our cliff side restaurant.

All of us look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your girlfriend back for another wonderful getaway. Your casita at the end of the tunnel awaits you!

John Volponi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Tucked away on the other side of a mountain (you actually drive through a tunnel to get there), this incredible resort is hidden away from all the noise and partying of Cabo. It's class on top of class -- impeccable, I love this level of service or care. Everything is beautiful, Everyone is kind and attentive, and Every bite was delicious. Do eat at all available places, but El Farallon is especially wonderful as it is set into the side of a cliff, where waves crash against the rocks below you as you eat. Insanely romantic! Many say that Capella Pedregal is the finest stay in Mexico

Room Tip: The best Rooms are at the end in the tower closer to the Farayon Restaurant!
3 Thank EmanuelDeRothschild
Dear Emanuel DeRothschild

Thank you for your visit to Capella Pedregal and for taking the time write such a positive review. We are all so pleased to learn that you very much enjoyed your stay at our hotel and appreciate your sharing your recommendations with our other Trip Advisor readers.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay and another amazing dinner in El Farallon.

North dakota
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My Wife and I stayed at Capella in the end of March for 5 days. These five days were probably one of the most relaxing I have ever had a resort. The arrival was like no other the entrance through the tunnel was amazing!! The welcome drinks were fabulous along with the concerieges being excited for your arrival. One thing I recommend is the private transportation to and from the airport makes everything a breeze and the breakfast buffet package.
The service at the pool were top notch, they never missed a beat. I asked for some aloe one day due to a sunburn the pool waiter had some immediately. Our pool waiter also made some dinner reservations for us one night talk about five star service!
We had a couples massage in the spa and that was really good also, highly recommend the spas treaments!
The food at Capella was really good, one dinner to remember to do is dinner at el Faralon on the cliffs excuse my spelling. It was a breeze to get transportation into town, and it was a reasonable priced. I say this resort is a must to stay at!!, but don't leave you pocket book at home because it is pricey by well worth it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucas D
Dear Lucas D
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments and recommendations with all of our readers. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit, as well as our Auriga Spa and El Farallon Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back on your next visit to Cabo.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at Capella Pedregal recently on an escape from the kids and work. We were welcomed by staff and treated as though we were truly valued. The setting doesn't get any better than this. Beautiful beach, beautiful finishes and room appointments and the restaurants take it up a notch for resort life. We were able to seemlessly unplug from regular distractions and enjoy a private escape. Capella Pedregal makes this easy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear My Own Private Paradise,

It was a real pleasure to be able to read your review and share your comments with our team. I am so pleased to learn that you were genuinely able to relax and let go during your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a future relaxing break!

New York, NY
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at Capella for one week on our "babymoon" and had a truly lovely week. I am very lucky and get to spend time at a lot of luxury hotels so have very high expectations and mostly all of them were met by Capella. Where to start...

Rooms: At first, I was a little taken aback at how not private the rooms seemed, but I think that is just Cabo resorts generally and we didn't have any privacy issues while we were there. We stayed in a base level room (we booked using our AmEx Platinum card but no upgrades were available as the hotel was at capacity) that was on the eastern side of the resort. The room was really lovely - it is frankly difficult to tell from the photos online and I was a little worried about the bathrooms but they were great. The shower is enormous, the toliet is separate (keeping the romance alive...), and the vanity is large and has under-cabinet storage (which I always appreciate since I dislike clutter and having nowhere to unpack). The linens (both the towels and the sheets) were VERY nice (I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning because the sheets felt so good - they are Frette). The outdoor patio with plunge pool (which is heated) is a real plus as well too, along with the fireplace which adds warmth on the colder evenings.

Food: We had the buffet breakfast at Don Manuel's every morning, ate lunch by the pools most days and ate at Don Manuel's twice, at El Farrallon twice, had room service one night and then spent two nights "off campus" (we ate in town one night and ate at the restaurant at Las Ventanas one night). Putting aside that all resort food is just stupid expensive, everything was really good. We had one slightly disappointing meal at Don Manuel's but that was about it. Everything is really fresh and they mixed me up some great "mocktails." The buffet brunch is nice in particular because the food is prepared and kept inside in an air conditioned space (nothing worse than food wilted by the heat) and in addition to an omelet station, they have a smoothie / fresh pressed juice station which was awesome. When they bring you lunch by the pool, they bring it in very user friendly containers. They will make you whatever you want (and I had a lot of particular needs since I was pregnant at the time). El Farrallon is truly a beautiful setting and very unique dining experience!

Pools/Beach/Spa/Fitness: The pools are the perfect temparature, and since you are likely not going to be on the beach, they are designed in a way to make you feel you are as much on the beach as possible. Chairs are super comfortable; we were there when the resort was at capacity and never had an issue getting chairs by the pool. Don't make the mistake of thinking you will use the beach / ocean - it is truly unusable. Because of the rough tide, it is even VERY difficult to walk by the water and the rest of the sand gets so hot it is impossible to walk on. You just have to accept you will be by the ocean but not using it and be ok with that. Was strange to me, but at the end of the day, didn't bother me because the experience was otherwise so pleasant.

I had a prenatal massage at the spa and had a manicure. Both experiences were excellent - the spa is quite amazing and I only wish I could have taken advantage of more of it but I was limited in the treatments I could have because of my pregnancy.

My husband and I used the fitness center everyday, and it was great for both of us. It has cardio equipment and typical weight machines and freeweights, but also has a room that has a squat rack and other "crossfit" type equipment which made my husband very happy. It was never too crowded either. Also, my husband golfed at two nearby resorts which the hotel helped arrange and they store your clubs for you while you are there so you don't have to keep them in the room.

Service: Last, but definitely not least - the thing that made this place amazing (because a lot of luxury resorts have the amenities described above) was the service. Everyone there is SO nice and accomodating and makes the extra effort to know your name, know what you like and make you feel at home. I felt totally taken care of which was exactly what I needed at the time. The service was what gave me the lasting impression of the resort and what would take me back. Thanks to everyone there that worked hard to make our stay as enjoyable as it was. It is not an inexpensive resort, but by the end, I felt like I got what I paid for.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank amznyc
Dear amznyc

Thank you for choosing to spend your “Babymoon” with us and for taking the time to write such a detailed and well thought out review. We are so pleased that we were able to meet your expectations and that you and your husband had a wonderful getaway.

Glad that you enjoyed the special “mocktails” created by our Mixologist for you as well as the special prenatal massage at the Auriga Spa. We hope to be able to welcome you back to experience many of our other treatments during a future visit.

I apologize that not all was perfect with your dinner in Don Manuel’s and do hope that you relayed your comments to our staff so that we could correct the situation and learn where we can continue to improve for your next dining experience.

We wish you all the very best with your new baby and look forward to welcoming you back on another future occasion.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

It's hard not to simply repeat all the plaudits that have been heaped on Capella. Truly justified in every respect. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely. Beautifully designed, perfectly executed with unparalleled service.

The hotel. Dramatic is probably the best way to describe Capella. From the entry tunnel carved through the side of the mountain line with torches leading to an enormous firepit at the entry to El Farallon perched cliff side overhanging the crashing Pacific, Capella sets an incredible stage for your time there. Modernist architecture tastefully integrated into the environment completes the setting.

The room. We had a two bedroom suite. Very well-designed and spacious. Loved the plunge pool, the decor, waterfall showers, and enormous tub. Plenty of room for two couples.

The service. Impeccable in every aspect. A smile on every face and genuine warmth. The pool bar crew is exceptional. No want goes unserved, no need goes unsatisfied. Margaritas, guacamole, and salsa every night are a very nice touch. You are literally not allowed to carry a plate from the breakfast buffet to your table.

The food. El Farallon was outstanding. Dramatic setting, incredibly fresh fish, excellent format and presentation and a great wine list. Don Manuel offered a terrific dining experience as well. The breakfast buffet was truly an amazing experience. Like walking into a small ultra gourmet market with the freshest fruits and having two talented chefs at your disposal.

We loved it. We will definitely return. We can recommend it completely without reservation. Our #1 hotel choice.

Room Tip: If you want to be directly on the beach, room 30 is the room to have.
Dear JPEnroute

Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to share your thoughts and reviews with our other Trip Advisor readers. We are truly honored and pleased that we are your “#1 hotel choice”.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back once again in the near future.

Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Capella Pedregal is the total package...beautiful, spacious, well-decorated rooms, fantastic, ocean-views everywhere and yummy food. The resort has blasted a tunnel through from the Marina area to their front lobby. If you're brave (and I guess we were) you can walk through while dodging some light traffic to get to the marina (recommended for people watching, eating, shopping and drinking).
There's no beach, so leave your snorkel at home. Each room has a private plunge pool that makes up for that, though, and the pools in the resort are tranquil and inviting.
My husband and I went here without kids but there's a "family-friendly" area that we peeked at and loved. Note to travelers...there are no bad rooms but that comes at a price. This is NOT a cheap Mexican vaycay.
Housekeeping will bring a bucket of mini cerveza, guacamole and chips gratis each afternoon. Enjoy it on your balcony while watching for whales. Don't skip the pricey but amazing El Farallon. Perched oceanside, with the fresh fish catch of the day being weighed in front of you, there's nothing better.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple