We use TA to make our hotel selections very regularly, and Cabo was no different. We decided to book with Capella based on the outstanding TA reviews. And because this is such an expensive investment, I will use much more detail than my normal TA review.
Arrival: We opted to use the hotel for pre-arranged transportation, and were very glad we did. You need to avoid any and all people INSIDE the airport who try to talk to you. We were told by 2 different people inside that they were our drivers and we needed to go with them. Neither of which were our drivers. We passed beyond these gentlemen and came outside and immediately found a Capella employee who ushered us to a beautiful Escalade. There was wifi in the vehicle along with water, towels, and snacks. When we arrived on the property, they had margaritas waiting for us.
Check in: Our Personal Assistant gave us a brief tour of the property and then took us to the front desk to receive our keys.
I found it extremely unprofessional that the first thing the front desk agent said to me was to recap the amount I had already billed on my credit card as well as the remaining amount balance. If it is required to recap these numbers, they could do so with discretion as opposed to saying it in front of my guests, as no one should hear the amount the stay costs. A 5 star resort such as this should be MUCH better trained in this department.
We were escorted to our room which was absolutely wonderful. Bottle of tequila, plunge pool, bath tub, huge shower, blue tooth stereo, mini bar with waters and sodas. Excellent room.
As other reviewers state, you receive complimentary chips and guacamole and 2 coronitas each day at 4pm.
Cleaning service was excellent.
We used the spa for 1 massage and it was great. $160 for 1 hour plus 16% tax plus 15% grat = $210.
The pool service was pretty good. We had 3 trips to the pool. One was excellent with the server very attentive. One was very poor... We asked for water 3 times before water was brought to us. It took over an hour for water to arrive. The other was good. 2 of the 3 times, the main pool had no seats to sit in, so we went to the other pool to the left and had no trouble getting chairs.
The food was a big problem for our stay. One lunch, we ordered nachos and quesadillas, and the total was $60+. Neither meal was particularly good. We also ordered a club sandwich and nachos another day... again $60+. The nachos have some value, as they are massive. On our final day, we went to the restaurant and ordered a grilled ham and cheese and steak tacos with water and our bill was $75. This included a $10 charge for water plus 16% tax plus 15% grat = $13.10 for water at lunch. A grilled cheese plus a couple tacos should not equal anywhere near $75. We found the food OFF the property to not only be better in quality, but also much more reasonably priced.
We knew the reviews had said this place was very expensive and we were prepared for that. But some of the charges were just absurd. Water that is free in the room and free at the pool should not cost $13 if you opt to eat inside the restaurant. Not when you are paying $500-$600 per night to stay on the property. 12 oz beers are $6 plus 16% tax plus 15% grat = $7.86. Cocktails are a min of $13 plus 16% tax plus 15% grat = $17. A grilled cheese and tacos should never equal $75, no matter what.
We likely will not stay here again and will opt to try our luck at one of the other luxury properties in Cabo. After our many excellent stays at LeBlanc in Cancun, we have high hopes for the LeBlanc in Cabo in 2015.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your journey begins as you emerge from Dos mares Tunnel, carved through a solid mountain, to discover paradise. The Resort at Pedregal welcomes you with familial Mexican charm. The check-in desk, located below the azure blue sky, illustrates the endless possibilities. 96 rooms and suites, each with a private plunge pool with stunning ocean views, personal assistant service, fireplace, LCD television, iPod docking station and complimentary wireless internet, and complimentary refreshments allow you to rehydrate and renew. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Resort at Pedregal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Capella Pedregal Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- The Resort At Pedregal Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, Mexico