“Great Experience”

Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We went to the Solmar resort for Spring Break. The staff was extremely friendly. Two of the waiters in particular- Alejandro Millan and Oscar Rayo were particularly helpful. The hotel was clean. I would definitely come back again

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CameronI942
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear customer from Colorado Springs, Colorado;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and the customer services from our personnel have contributed to that. it will be our pleasure to welcoming you again and provide an even better experience. Sincerely yours

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
San Diego
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I thought the resort was nice and clean. The suite we rented (2171) was very spacious. It included 2 bathrooms, 2 patios, kicthen and living room. I wasn't too thrilled about the decor. I would have preferred something a little more modern. However, it was nice and comfy. The construction noise from our suite wasn't a problem. We traveled with our 16 month old and it didn't prevent her from enjoying her nap time. The construction work is complete no later than 6pm. The real problem we had were the waves crashing on the beach at night. The force from the waves crashing on the beach caused our patio doors to rattle. And our room was at least 65 yards from the beach. When my wife wasn't gon off that patron, she had a hard time falling to sleep because of the rattling. The noise didn't bother me. I slept like a baby.

The food at Solmar is excellent!!!!! Nuff said....

The beaches in Cabo are NOT SWIMMABLE period! I found that unblievable with so much coastline. But the waves are CRAZY. I live in San Diego and have never seen waves that big. Cabo only have two swimmable beaches. Pelican Beach and the one close to the marina. A water taxi to Pelican Beach should run about 7-$10. The scenery there is nice. Its a public beach so you do have people trying to sell you things. Just say, "No" and they'll go away.

If you're all about location, this is the place! You're within walking distant from everything Cabo has to offer. We traveled with our 16 month old and didn't have any issues getting around. Cabo in general is pretty safe. The people were pretty friedly, especially towards my daughter. I thought that was pretty nice.

If you're young and want excitement, this isn't the place. Solmar is for couple and older people wanting a nice place to relax and kick back. I would definitely recommend Solamr to other travelers. The older decor in the rooms and non swimmable beaches were the only negative. I rate this pace 8/10

Room Tip: Make arrangements from the airport to the hotel prior. Timeshare people aren't that bad. Just...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear customer from San Diego, CA. USA;
Thank you for taking the time to express your experience with others. We are attending your comments regarding the rattle from your glass doors because of the waves in order to guarantee a good sleep quality for your family next time you´ll visit us. Moreover it is satisfactory to know you have enjoyed your vacation, our secluded location, our cuisine and the comfort of your suite. Please do not wait too long to come back and allow us to pamper you as you deserve. Warm greetings!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My boyfriend and I recently returned from a 4 night stay at the Solmar Resort. We chose this hotel because we were traveling with a larger group and wanted to stay with everyone. We normally stay at the neighboring (same owner) property the Playa Grande.

Many of the reviews I read were accurate and gave me a good description beforehand of the property. Yes there is construction and yes the bathrooms are a bit dated but everything else about the hotel was great. It had the same high quality service we are used to at the Playa Grande, drinks and food were quick and good, service with a smile and no issues.

We went for the all-inclusive package and we're happy we did! We tend not to like all-inclusives because of the buffet style blah food but Solmar's is a-la-carte all inclusive so yes, you do sign for everything but it doesn't matter - it's just to keep track of the food and drinks they "sell". Not everyone is all-inclusive so the food and drink quality are much better. The breakfasts were excellent with fruit, juice and coffee ready to go and a full menu of options made to order. The staff were always ready to accomodate any need and even good with food allergies. We ordered both sushi and off the regular menu poolside for lunch and everything was very good - shrimp tacos, burgers, awesome guacamole, tuna hand rolls, nachos all very good. Drinks were fast and "regular bar" strong not watered down by any means. We mostly drank beer & margaritas so we weren't as concerned about top shelf this trip. We ate out almost every night and between breakfasts, lunch, snacks and poolside afternoon drinks we did not feel like we missed out and got our money's worth with the all-inclusive and we're not huge drinkers - it just adds up.

As for the construction noise, it was minimal and the back side of the property. We played golf everyday and were up before the construction noise started anyway so it didn't bother us in the slightest.

This place is very charming, sweet and a good value. It reminds me a lot of the old Cabo I knew when there were no traffic lights and mostly dirt roads. There are rumours they may either tear it down or remodel and I would certainly vote to remodel the rooms (bathrooms in particular) but the place has good bones and I'd hate to see it torn down - not everybody likes a massive property - if I wanted that I would stay out on the corridor.

I should add - there were no time share pitches to us at the hotel - just a welcome with a brochure - which was pleasant for a change. For whatever reason in this time in Cabo, the time share pitches outside are hotel were in full force - it's almost like the mid-2000's again - every corner, every turn. We were pitched to at dinner (Soloman's) on the street of course at golf courses (both Cabo Real and Campestre) at the rental car agency (Hertz) - it was pretty crazy. It gets to the point where you think every conversation with a local could turn into a time share pitch. I'm glad that Solmar is taking the soft approach - if I were ever in the market they are the only ones I would consider buying from... They recognize that good, respectful customer service is it's own selling point - and it;s what keep bringing us back to their resorts.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up floor for better views of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SunSeekerMA
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Dear customer from Boston, Massachusetts;
We appreciate very much your kindly comments; it is our pleasure to know you have enjoyed your vacations and the service received it was according to your expectations as well as the resort conditions and the all-inclusive amenities. It will be our pleasure to welcoming you again as our guest in the short future; we will take the utmost care to make sure you are accommodated in everything you desire. Best regards!!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I’m not sure where to begin but let me give you the conclusion first: The Solmar is an absolutely positively WONDERFUL place to stay – the staff incredibly kind and magnificent (they become family), the location THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE in all of Cabo (maybe on earth!), and the VERY BEST FOOD and service ever! I loved it and actually cried when leaving!

FOOD

The restaurant Tejaban is brilliant. The food is fresh, abundant, interesting, well presented and DELICIOUSLY spectacular!

The sushi from Sushi Factory is also truly wonderful. You can eat at Sushi Factory and/or by the pool.

There is another snack bar there – but amazingly…I didn’t get it to it; I’m sure it too must be great.

For all-inclusive, you get one meal at the Puerto San Lucas. Best Caesar salad EVER! The food was very good. The service nowhere near as good on any level as the service in the Solmar restaurant. Puerto San Lucas in Playa Grande.

ENTERTAINMENT

Sandra, the Activities Coordinator (for pool, beach and fiestas in the restaurant), is THE BEST! She is warm, wonderful, kind, fun, creative, smart and has a smile that would melt an Ice Queen! Sandra was at the top of my highlights list --- and my trip had a lot of highlights! If all resorts had someone like Sandra at the entertainment helm…no one on earth would go home bored or feeling neglected!

ROOMS

Beautiful and wonderfully, authentically Mexican – not to mention comfortable! I loved my room, the balconies, the bed, the bathrooms, the kitchen, the dining room, living room, the art, the closet, the EVERYTHING! I particularly love that it beautifully represents Mexico. It has not been Americanized, except to say that you can ‘plug and play’. You don’t need any adapters at all.

BATHROOMS

Beautiful and spacious. Each bathroom has a shower cap, sewing kit, body lotion, a conditioning shampoo (not a separate conditioner), soap and of course ample towels, washcloths, hand towels, floor and shower mats.

KITCHEN

Comes with coffee, utensils, pots/pans, paper towels, dish towel, bottled water , refrigerator, microwave – and for first day – beer and sodas too.

VIEW/LOCATION

I cannot possibly enough about the PERFECT location and SPECTACULAR view --- whether from your balcony, the restaurant, the pool – almost anywhere in the hotel. And to sit on my balcony and/or to eat breakfast in the restaurant and SEE WHALES EVERY DAY – is overwhelming. It was truly amazing – just GLORIOUS!

You are also a 10 minute walk to the Marina --- lots of shops, bars, restaurants, boat trips, etc. Downtown is about 20 minute walk, though pathetically enough…I never got downtown! I enjoyed the hotel so much and the relaxation that comes with it – I almost never left (or needed to leave) the premises.

THE STAFF

In a word…PERFECT. The management (Luis and Enrique---re: the latter…I may have that name wrong – my name-memory is awful), activities coordinator (Sandra – as previously mentioned) front office staff (Nicte-Xa and her colleagues), the pool wait staff (Vincente and all of the others), shuttle driver (Orlando), restaurant managers (Tomas and Ernesto), restaurant wait staff (Alejandro, Daniel, Raul – and seriously --- and again…all of the others – I just can’t remember all of the names!), the cleaning and maintenance crew --- EVERYONE at Solmar is MAGNIFICENT! Everyone is friendly, accommodating, communicative, fun and will do anything/everything to ensure that your stay is PERFECT. I’ve never stayed anywhere where staff is better – NEVER. And I have traveled the world – traveling (and event planning) is my thing --- so I can honestly say bar none – Solmar has the VERY BEST in staff. If I haven’t mentioned a name, I can assure it – it wasn’t because the person wasn’t wonderful or that they weren’t memorable; trust me – I am AWFUL with names. But I do want to say again – there is no staff anywhere in the world like the Solmar staff.

DRINKS

For food and drinks – I am commenting on all inclusive; I’m not sure what you may have access to when you pay. House white wine and red wine are both decent; I live in California and even I would drink the wine at Solmar! The Mudslides, Funky Monkey’s and all of the creamy, lovely and fattening drinks are GREAT!! They even have sparkling wine for mimosas – LOVE THAT! And Bailey’s for your morning coffee – BRILLIANT! And of course you can get every time of booze there is as well as decaf or regular coffee (in addition to coffee makers and coffee in your room if you are so inclined to make it yourself.)

BEACH

Absolutely positively beautiful. The sand, the water, the waves, the palapas and comfortable chairs – and again – the location is GORGEOUS! I’ve never been any place prettier. Though you can’t swim in the beach – the waves are big and wild – who cares. You can lay on the beach, walk on the beach, drink or eat on the beach --- and if you want to dip – you can certainly go to the water’s edge and dip in or swim in the beautiful pool.

POOL

Way ample and comfortable chairs surrounding a pretty pool with a swim up (or walk up) pool bar. The food and drink service at the pool is AMAZING and EFFICIENT. You are given plenty of beach/pool towels in your room, which you take with you and bring back end of day so that you get fresh ones next day.

GYM

Because the Solmar is somewhat under construction – I believe is going to be built into the Grand Solmar – the gym is in the sister property Playa Grande. The gym is great. Plenty of equipment, CNN on the TV’s, water, towels, etc. It’s better than my gym at home in SF!

FYI’s

When you walk into the lobby, your heart might sink a little. The lobby is wholly unimpressive. But I can assure you, not only does that not matter – is it NOT a reflection of the BEAUTIFULLY STUNNING resort, it is functional – gets the job done – gives you what you need – easy/fast check in, efficiently run front desk (money exchange, etc.), concierge, etc., etc. It is small and old (under renovation of what I believe will be parlayed into the Grand Solmar eventually) – but again – the staff and efficiency is wonderful. Don’t let the unimpressive look of the lobby deter you or be reflective of the gorgeous resort in anyway.

Everything is clean and beautiful.

There are a lot of birds – a lot – especially at the restaurant. Not a problem for me – but for those with Hitchock-like bird phobias – beware!

People love to walk over the huge rock formations and head from our hotel to Medano Beach. Frankly, I thought it was a treacherous dangerous walk (even though I did it!); and I couldn’t wait to get back to our hotel beach! Medano is crowded/jam packed and nowhere near as pretty as Solmar’s beach. It is swimmable – but it’s so damn crowded – it’s not worth it. Plus lots of vendors harassing you.

You will never be harassed by vendors on the beach or at the pool at the Solmar. It is private/secluded in the good way! (You will have to deal with timeshare folks IF you say “yes” to a presentation.)

You do have to sign for everything you consume with the All Inclusive, but I didn’t find this the slightest bother. It is NOT a problem at all; and in fact…it’s good to see what you are actually consuming!

I believe you should tip all waiters, the maid, the activities coordinator --- really --- you need to tip anyone who helps you. They are working their butts off to make your holidays enjoyable – and they are doing a damn good job – so I think tipping is a must.

Personally – doing the timeshare wasn’t worthy. What was supposed to be 90 minutes was 3 hours for me. THREE HOURS! And what I got for “free” (using the term “free” loosely) didn’t make up for it. I wouldn’t recommend it, though I will say that the Solmar properties are magnificent.

I think whether you are alone or in a group that walking to Marina and/or downtown is a must-do. It’s safe, close, easy and nice. I probably would, however, recommend the $6 taxi back if you are walking at night solo.

Solmar is very quiet, very relaxing – it isn’t a happening scene. People awake early and go to sleep early. The restaurant, where you can get both food and drink, closes at 10pm.
The TV in the room is GREAT! Free movie channels and lots of other channels. This is a good thing because the resort pretty much goes to sleep by 10pm – so the TV keeps you company!
I think the Playa Grande is nowhere near as authentically beautiful and certainly nowhere near as intimate and personal as the Solmar, though it is lovely. I just prefer Solmar for it personal service.

The Grand Solmar, I must admit, is breathtakingly beautiful. It is expensive and still under construction. You will hear the construction – but it is NO big deal AT ALL.

THE ONE BAD THING

Please keep in mind that I’m giving this resort the highest rating possible; and I stand behind it. I *love* the Solmar. In fact, I’m planning on a return trip in December. (I went in March to belated celebrate my 50th birthday – had to wait for my Xmas bonus to pay for it but am planning to go for my 51st birthday this December!) Anyway – back to point…the one “con” is that there is no bar/central location for socializing. None. You can swim up to the pool bar – but there’s no one location where people go to gather, drink, meet, interact comfortably. The issue about this, though somewhat obvious, really is impactful for the solo traveler (me.) Since mostly couples stay at Solmar, for a solo traveler it is very very difficult to meet other people vacationing as there’s no central location/watering hold (again – like a sit down bar) to do so. I think it’s really important to have a place where people can meet/can exchange conversation --- a central location (whether a bar with a pool table, ping pong table, during a bingo game, whatever ) --- there needs to be a way to force the hand of the guests to interact with other guests. Otherwise, people are like roaches when the lights go on – they scatter – don’t/won’t connect. Sandra does a very good job in gathering people for activities by the pool/at beach – and you do get to meet a few guests that way --- but without an interactive location (again – like a bar) – it’s incredibly difficult to meet others. And I have to mention that as a single woman – even more difficult – and that’s for someone (me) who is VERY happy to meet/hang with couples or other singles. This was wildly problematic for me but will not prevent me from going back to the Solmar.

TIPS FOR SOLO TRAVELER

Participate in pool activities – it is pretty much the only way to meet people at Solmar.

It is OK to walk alone to other Solmar properties, to the Marina or to downtown --- as long as it’s daylight. Shuttle to Playa Grande at night and if you are walking solo to Marina or downtown, $6 taxi for nighttime (in the dark).

You might want to sign up for outside resort activities to meet other folks (e.g. ATV, booze cruise, etc.) Since meeting people at the resort can be challenging in that there isn’t a bar per se – there’s no gathering spot – you will have to work hard to interact.

SPECIAL THANK YOU’S!

I know I’ve said it all over the place – but I need to say it again --- my vacation was MADE EXTRAORDINARY by Managers Luis and Enrique (I think Enrique is his name – but now I’m having short-term memory loss!), Nicte-Xa, waiters Daniel, Alejandro, managers Ernesto and Tomas, and Activities Guru Extraordinaire Sandra.

Thank you all most sincerely, with all of my gratitude and appreciation for your company, your kindness your accommodation.

Last but not least – I am overwhelmingly grateful and humbled by the room upgrade, the chocolate covered strawberries and champagne upon arrival, the happy birthday message, and for my last night’s dessert and special note in my room. For every huge and every small thing – THANK YOU ALL so very much --- from the bottom of my heart. I am incredibly and forever appreciative… And I very much look forward to seeing all of you again this December!

Room Tip: I had room 2234, which I *loved*! When I return in December - I plan to ask for the same room - it w...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank wineing
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Dear customer from San Francisco, California;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Your kindly comments are gladly appreciated by our cordial staff. Really nothing makes us happier than knowing you have had a memorable vacation. Thank you for your suggestions we´ll keeps them in mind. I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon. Be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Wishing you good health and many happy moments, I remain.
Most cordially, Luis A.
Seattle, Wa
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My friend and I just returned yesterday from a week trip at Solmar beach Resort. We had a wonderful time and loved the small and intimate cozy feel of Solmar. It always amazes me how some people find little things to complain about at this resort. Its just beautiful, you are right on the ocean with a wonderful view and breeze. Solmar is a perfect location also, we walked every day into the marina (10-12 minutes) and usually took an $8 taxi into downtown if we wanted. I have a really bad back and the beds were the best and very comfortable. The grounds are immaculate and every day people are working to keep things perfect and clean outside. Nicte-xxa at the front desk was amazing, I must have emailed her 10x before we arrived and she was great and prompt with her service. We had great service from Alejandro in the restaurant for dinner and requested him every night. I also really thought Vicente was wonderul as our server at the pool and Oscar at the pool bar. We did the All-Inclusive and yes you have to sign a bill every time, its really no big deal. Service can be slow at times, but just soak up the sun and listen to the waves. We saved so much money on drinks and bottled water alone that we figured out if all we had the whole time was breakfast, bottled water and drinks it still would have been worth it. We usually had lunch on the marina or snacks at the pool bar and we ate dinner at the restuartant most nights but a couple nights downtown. The breakfast food is the best for sure (french toast very good), but the dinner ambiance with the bonfires is reallly nice. The dinner menu is somewhat hit and miss. I really recommend Solmar if you want some peace and relaxation. We did not experience and pressure from time share sales and just no thank you the few times we were asked. The conceige and bell man service is also very good. I loved cabo and cant wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank oneirishgirl
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear customer from Seattle, WA. USA;
It´s our pleasure to read that you have had a wonderful time during your holiday with us, nothing make us happier than read you have enjoyed our resort and it´s amenities. Certainly our secluded location allows our customers to enjoy beautiful views and privacy without be far from down town. Thank you for your kindly comments regarding our staff it is our pleasure to have meet your service expectation. I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest on your next visit to Cabo and provide you an even better experience. Best regards!
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Nice resort and the beach was beautiful here! (But not a swimmable beach because of the strong undertow and large waves).
More Positives: The resort had good food. It was small and the restaurant was a la carte, not a buffet-which was nice.
The rooms were spacious with very comfy beds and pillows!
There were no beach vendors
Very Quiet Resort.
The location next to Lover's Beach and close to town was GREAT

Things I'd change if I were in charge: The bar inventory. while we were there-which December is a high season month, they were out of a lot of things and not "just ran out". Other guests said they'd been out for several days before we arrived too. so for 2 days, there were a few other options but mainly it was beer or wine....then they ran out of wine. But the next day everything came in.
Having to sign for everything all the time was a pain and seems unnecessary. Whether it was beach towels, every drink, every meal, etc. we had to sign our name and room number. They said it was for "inventory"...but see above about my issue with inventory.
The check in time was later than normal (4pm) and check out was earlier than a lot of places (11am).
There is no nightlife to speak of at the resort. No activities and no music. so if you're going to relax at the beach-this is a great resort. (assuming you don't want to swim right off the beach).
Town is walkable and there are lots of great restaurants nearby so lack of nightlife wasn't an issue unless you just really don't want to leave the resort.
It was safe and we had a good time.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank kameronl
Dear customer from Kansas City, Kansas;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. It’s our pleasure to know you have enjoyed you stay and the amenities from the resort. We are working on your comments to ensure we will meet our customers´ expectations. We’ll be glad to have the opportunity to greet you here again and provide you an even better experience. Best regards!
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We had an incredible trip to the Solmar. We came here last year for a week as well and had such a wonderful week that we knew exactly where to take our spring break this year.
We love Cabo, and we love the Solmar even more. The service we had was outstanding. We would like to shout-out to Vincente for providing incredible service everyday with a smile!

I did the relaxation and stretching with Patty which was wonderful. Right on the beach with the sound of the ocean.

The addition of Puerto San Lucas was wonderful. I highly recommend the casear salad and key lime pie!

Our room worked perfect for us. The most comfortable bed that we slept wonderfully in all week. I also loved that we were never bothered about time shares on this vacation.

All in all, an incredibly relaxing vacation, and we cannot wait to return next year!

If you go, make sure you say hi to Vincente!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Dear customer from Laramie, Wyoming;
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your experience with others. Nothing pleases us more than read that you had an incredible and relaxed vacation. I am sharing your review with our staff they will be happy to know we meet your service expectation. Please do not wait too much to come back and allow us to pamper you as you deserve. Warm greetings!!