“Good Vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Antonio, Texas
“Good Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The room was nice, although you can tell the property is a little bit older, it is well maintained. There is construction going on next door at the Grand Solmar, but it isn't too bad, we were in building D and couldn't hear it from where we were staying. The restaurant service was a little slow, but the food was amazing.
I am used to staying in all -inclusives, but I didn't like having to sign a bill everytime I ordered food or drinks, that delayed the process (that it what the wristband is for!)

The beach is close(sand is very hot-so wear shoes), however this beach is NOT swimmable and DO NOT get to close to the water!

Very good location, Marina was a casual 10 minute walk away and there was plenty to do and see there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction facing the beach
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CicelyS
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear customer from Orlando, Florida;
Thank you for sharing your comments on TA. I'm working with my restaurant’s supervisor to attend your observations. By the other side we are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and the amenities of the Resort. Thank you for your visit, we are looking forward to see you here again as our guest and have the opportunity to provide you an even better experience. Warm greetings!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

My boyfriend and I spent last week at the Solmar and had the best vacation ever! We loved Solmar, I booked it through some points on my credit card and got a really good deal on the all inclusive option. Completely worth what we paid and so much more! I was a little worried after reading a few negative reviews about Solmar but have to say it far exceeded our expectations. First off, as others have mentioned the staff is phenomenal. Some who were especially wonderful were Vicente, Julio Caesar, Francisco, Ernesto and Juan Carlo. I know there are others whose names I can't remember but everyone we encountered was simply top notch. Also the woman we worked with at concierge was wonderful and our housekeeper Gloria - just perfect! The food is wonderful, I'm not sure where the complaints come from here and I like good food! There were some dishes that weren't as good as others but still not horrible. The breakfasts are authentic and delicious every time. We loved the sushi, the guacamole and believe it or not one of the best hamburgers I've ever had, I think I had 3 of them and I don't normally eat hamburgers. There were so many options I didn't get a chance to try them all, sadly. The grounds were beautifully kept and someone was always working around the resort keeping everything up. The pool area was nice, well kept and always had plenty of room and great service especially when Vicente was working! The drinks were always good and served quickly. There is construction next door as everyone has mentioned. It wasn't noticeable to us and we actually liked getting to watch some of it going on. Our room was spacious and clean and always a great temperature. We loved sitting on our patio having coffee or drinks. It is a really easy walk to the Marina and there are plenty of areas to enjoy in town. I really can't find one bad thing to say about this resort except for the rumor I heard that it's being torn down. I would love to return and would definitely pick the Solmar again!

Room Tip: As others have said away from the construction is probably best. We were in a nice end room around...
2 Thank TrishaTim
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear customer from Seattle Washington;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Your thoughtful remarks are very helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience. It is our pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your holidays and our staff was top notch. I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon and pamper you as you deserve. Best regards!!
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was booked into this hotel as a last resort due to friends backing out of the trip. What you see is not what you get. The place is old, musty, not well kept. Beach is nothing like the pictures and was rocky with cement from construction site. There is construction going on around so not a moment of peace to be had. Food is okay but not great and drinks are weak. They do not tell you that not much is included in the all inclusive. Salad bar consist of a bowl of ice burg lettuce. Forget Cappuccino or, espressos...not going to happen. Meat is tough, menu limited. The service by the Bell boys and restaurant staff was exceptional to say the least. The front desk women need some manners. Will I be back, heck no, will I recommend the place, heck no. I am shocked that Tripadvisor has recommended so highly. I suggest they send someone to really spend some time there...Pictures are totally deceiving! To many other beautiful and fun resorts in Cabo to have to stay here. Boring as all get out to boot and I am a senior.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here if you do not have to...rooms are old and moldy...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Marianne C
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Everyone was absolutely wonderful. They upgraded our room, left flower petals and towel sculptures on our bed, left everything perfectly clean and tidy each day. The food and service was incredible, never any long waits, everything prepared impeccably and presented the same way. The spa service was amazing! Patty, Sandy and Anabel were incredible. We had an 80 minute couples massage in the spa cabanas overlooking the beach and it was so relaxing and soothing. A one of a kind experience. We will definitely be going back to Solmar for our first anniversary. Thanks to everyone who made this such a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Bottom floor suites that walk right out to the pool area and beach are the best.
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed at Solmar in September 2013 and had an absolutely wonderful vacation. This resort is more traditional Mexico than the bigger and more commercial hotels. Our studio suite was quite spacious and very comfortable for 2 adults but could accommodate a couple of kids, too. The staff was always very polite, professional and friendly. Simply said, every encounter with them was AWESOME! All of our restaurant visits were equally impressive. We can't wait to go back! We miss Moises already!

Room Tip: Major construction on site but not bothersome enough to prevent us from returning again soon.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bethw2u
Bellingham Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

This was our second stay, last year for our honeymoon and this year for our 1st anniversary. Yes it is a little older but has everything you need and you can't beat the all inclusive deal. The staff was great, friendly and willing to do whatever you need. I am just extremely sad that they are going to tear it down. I don't know if it will be stage 3 or 4 of the new Grand Solmar but I would stay at the Solmar any time over the Grand Solmar or the Playa Grande. They are just too large and too expensive to stay at. This place is great and I hope they do not tear it down. That would be such a waste. My only complaint is that you have to pay for the WiFi.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good from what I have seen but closer to the pool and away from the constructions...
1 Thank Ghost0
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Solmar Inn and got the All-Inclusive package on Living Social. We were very close to the construction, however it did not bother us at all. The jr suite was very big, and we had a great view of the pool and the ocean. The swim up bar was fun and the food was pretty good! I would avoid the crab enchaladas thou, they did not agree with my husbands stomach at all. This resort was nice any relaxing and not over crowded. We also got a couples massage at the SPA and had a fantastic experience! Thanks to Anabel and Sandy our 2 massage therapists!
The resort is a close walk to the Marina.... lots of shopping, food and adventures are just a 5 minute walk away. Cabo adventures is a very trustworthy company and we had a great time swimming with dolphins and on our trip to find whale sharks!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple