“very noisy”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and i just returned from our trip to Solmar using a living social deal. I had read about the construction going on before hand and new about it but was not expecting it to be so distracting. We usaually stay someplace else besides here because it is adults only and very quiet which is why we like it. The living social deal was a good deal so we decided to try it. The noise from the construction next door could be heard throughout the day. When we went to eat breakfast you could hear hammering, sawing and drilling going which is not how we wanted to spend our vacation. Sitting at the pool trying to read you can hear the construction going on sometimes it is not that bad but like i said we like to have a nice quiet vacation.
They upgraded us to a suite when we arrived. The place is older but the rooms are kept clean. The only problem we had was that the ac didnt work that great for us because we like it cold in the room. We had to keep the blinds closed during the day to keep the room cool but it was also muggy in the room. I asked for a fan for the room and someone brought me one right away. The staff was wonderful and friendly and the best part about the hotel.
We ate at the restaurants a few times which the service was good and not slow at all. The food was average. Only problem was ate at the restaurant at the top of the resort and people smoking next to us while we were eating.
Next time we will be returning to our regular resort we normally go too. The only thing i wil miss about this resort is the staff. Oh forgot to mention that the beds were very comfortable!

2  Thank Troy D
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear guest from Lake Charles, Louisiana;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.
I feel sorry for the noise conditions you report; the expansion of the neighboring hotel is almost concluded. On the other hand I'm glad to read you have enjoyed your upgrade, the resort's cuisine and the service from our personnel who are always helpful and friendly. I hope to be honored with your visit once again you can be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire and offer you an even better experience. Best regards!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,813)

Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I booked our honeymoon right after our wedding in June. We decided to go with a trip down to Cabo San Lucas at the end of October. Solmar Resort offered an all-inclusive deal at an amazing rate that we could not resist. After a wonderful week by the beach, I decided I would let everyone know about our experience.
The flight down to Cabo was part of the all-inclusive package and was not that bad of a trip. When we landed at the airport, we were pretty bombarded by a variety of Vacation Activity salesmen. Your best bet is to just walk out the door of airport and offer to pay a shuttle driver cash to take you to your hotel (that's what we did). The shuttle was only $16/person, but we had to drop off a few other tourists at other hotels on our way to the resort. It was definitely worth it, because the private taxis were about $80 for a one-way trip from the airport to the resort.
The check in process at Solmar was pretty easy. We were greeted by friendly staff who quickly notified us that our room had been upgraded (awesome). The room was great! We had 2 bathrooms, 2 balconies, living room, kitchenette, and a bedroom with a king bed. Within minutes of walking in the door of our room, we got a knock on the door. One of the restaurant managers, Ernesto, came to greet us with our first cocktails of our honeymoon! This was extremely classy, and matched with the rose petals and swan-shaped towels on our bed, we were very delighted by the resort's attention to detail in making this a memorable start to our honeymoon.
After introductions were made, Ernesto immediately asked us what we would like to eat. The long trip from the east coast of the US to Cabo had caused us to build up quite the appetite. By the time we changed clothes and headed down to the restaurant (15 minutes), Ernesto had already prepared some food and beverages for us. Needless to say, we were getting the honeymoon started off right! Food, drinks and a wonderful sunset within the first couple of hours we were there!
The food at the restaurant was awesome! Ernesto and his staff have great options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You are given detailed menus to help you make your food selections for each meal. The dining experience at the restaurant was truly great! Fresh food, great service, and you're practically on the beach during your meal.
The hospitality was top-notch throughout the trip! Regarding service, there were a couple hiccups that we would have loved to not have dealt with. We are Red Sox fans, and we wanted to watch the final games while we were down there. We lost all cable in our rooms for almost an entire day, and I know it's not the biggest deal when you're in such a great location, but we were told several times that it was going to be fixed within 30 minutes. We ended up watching the game at the snack bar at the resort with a group of Sox fans, so it all worked out. Another issue was the construction taking place on the Grand Solmar side of the property. Every day, from about 7AM- 7PM, there was constant hammering and drilling taking place less than 200 feet from our room. I wish we would have been notified of this issue prior to the trip, but we most certainly did not let this ruin the honeymoon.
Overall, we were extremely satisfied with our stay at Solmar. Between Ernesto, the housekeeping staff, the front-of-house staff, and shuttle drivers, we were very impressed with the care and attentiveness they provided us throughout the trip. The Somar is not the best place to go if you're looking to party hard with a group of young adults, but if you're looking for a place to relax and unwind, this is the perfect spot for you! We also strongly suggest going on one of the beautiful sunset cruises! We loved our honeymoon in Cabo, and we hope to go back soon!!!

Dear customer from Chapel Hill, North Carolina;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.
We appreciate very much the opportunity you gave us to host you during your honeymoon. It is rewarding to read that the attention to the details from our entire staff have been well appreciated, this invite us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience. We would be honored with your visit once again, you can be sure we will do our best to provide you an even better experience. Best regards!!

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Loved the personal attention my family and friends received at this lovely resort. Everything was great. Dinner for our party on the beach was unforgettable. The staff was so friendly and accommodating to all of us. We will be back for sure next year.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Diva8981
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear customer from Burbank, California;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others; it is our pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay, the facilities and the customer services from our cordial staff. Please do not wait too long to come back and allow us to pamper you as you deserve. Best regards!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed with five other girls for a week at Solmar, using a Living Social deal. I truly was not expecting it to be so nice!

General: The resort is on the ocean and although you can't swim because of the rough surf, it was beautiful to walk on the beach and enjoy the view. The resort is older, but very well maintained and clean. There is construction going on next door and we could hear the work during the day but it didn't start until 9am and finished about 5pm. It did not detract from the enjoyment of my vacation, and our rooms were as far as possible from the construction. The grounds are impeccable. There are a lot of stairs throughout the resort, but having a pool and bar area on the upper level of the resort and another on the lower level is nice.

Rooms: Our room was on the third floor and had a kitchen area, one bath, living room area, and king bed. It was spacious and very comfortable for two people. The full-length mirror was a nice touch, as well as the additional vanity area outside of the bathroom. We had a nice patio to sit on with a table and chairs. In the kitchen and bath there were these teeny, tiny gnat-like bugs that were attracted to moisture on the countertops. They weren't overwhelming or in vast numbers, and they didn't bother me as I have come to expect some "wildlife" when I travel to warmer climates, but I mention it in case that information is important to you. In-room Wi-Fi was an additional $60 for the week, and the connection was great at times and not great at other times but overall was worth having.

Food and Drink: We had the all-inclusive plan. There is one restaurant and one snack bar/lunch place on the grounds. The restaurant was AMAZING. Every meal we had was great. There were many choices for all three meals, including a full sushi menu for lunch and dinner. I am not a fan of buffets so I was very happy that there was only a buffet on Sunday night and Thursday night. The snack bar had a large TV and played all of the NFL games, and that menu had burgers, wings, quesadillas, apps, etc. and all were very good. Wait staff at both places were so very nice and accommodating. At times, the restaurant service was slow and sometimes our meals came out at different times but we weren't in a rush anyway. The portions are small which we all liked so we could order several things and not have an overwhelming amount of food. The Tres Leche cake was a favorite! You can also order food pool-side which we enjoyed.

Out and About: They told us at check-in that it was very safe to walk into town, day or night and I appreciated that information. We did take a taxi a couple of times and it was very reasonable, we also walked and that was easy too (just some days, too hot). We used Cabo Transportation to and from the airport - $130 round trip for six of us - and it was great.

Beaches: We went to Medeno Beach ( a 10 min cab ride) one day. Great swimming, very crowded, and FULL of strolling vendors pestering us to buy everything and anything. Some of our group took a water taxi from the marina to Lover's Beach another day and that was much better - far fewer people and vendors, great swimming.

Bonus: Sea turtles lay their eggs on the beach in front of the hotel, and we got to watch them hatch and be released. There are many nests and they were hatching every day. I don't know how long of a time this goes on for, but definitely a cool thing to see!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a ground-floor room if stairs are an issue for you - not all buildings have an el...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Darcie R

Dear Darcie R. from Somerset, WI;
It is our pleasure to read that you and your friends have enjoyed your vacations and your expectations have been exceeded. We are looking forward to greet you here again as our guest and have the opportunity to provide you an even better experience.
Best regards!!

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My boyfriend and I just spent a week at Solmar. We had a wonderful and relaxing vacation in part thanks to the very friendly and courteous staff and the beautiful resort. When we arrived we were upgraded to a more expensive suite at no cost. The suite was very clean and tastefully decorated. Our house girl even made us origami animals everyday! The grounds had gorgeous plantings. The all inclusive included 3 meals a day which gave us the option to just relax and not go into Cabo. Our special thanks go to Francisco who happily served us food on the beach and made us feel very comfortable and welcome as did all the staff. I would highly recommend Solmar for anyone going to Cabo San Lucas. We will have many fabulous memories!

2  Thank Dianne L

Dear customer from Oakland, California;
It is a pleasure to read you have had a memorable vacation at Solmar Resort and that our staff has contributed to this. Thank you for sharing your comments with others. It will be our pleasure to see you here again as our guest and have the chance to pamper you as you deserve. Best regards!

Reviewed 25 October 2013

The room was nice, although you can tell the property is a little bit older, it is well maintained. There is construction going on next door at the Grand Solmar, but it isn't too bad, we were in building D and couldn't hear it from where we were staying. The restaurant service was a little slow, but the food was amazing.
I am used to staying in all -inclusives, but I didn't like having to sign a bill everytime I ordered food or drinks, that delayed the process (that it what the wristband is for!)

The beach is close(sand is very hot-so wear shoes), however this beach is NOT swimmable and DO NOT get to close to the water!

Very good location, Marina was a casual 10 minute walk away and there was plenty to do and see there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction facing the beach
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank CicelyS

Dear customer from Orlando, Florida;
Thank you for sharing your comments on TA. I'm working with my restaurant’s supervisor to attend your observations. By the other side we are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and the amenities of the Resort. Thank you for your visit, we are looking forward to see you here again as our guest and have the opportunity to provide you an even better experience. Warm greetings!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

My boyfriend and I spent last week at the Solmar and had the best vacation ever! We loved Solmar, I booked it through some points on my credit card and got a really good deal on the all inclusive option. Completely worth what we paid and so much more! I was a little worried after reading a few negative reviews about Solmar but have to say it far exceeded our expectations. First off, as others have mentioned the staff is phenomenal. Some who were especially wonderful were Vicente, Julio Caesar, Francisco, Ernesto and Juan Carlo. I know there are others whose names I can't remember but everyone we encountered was simply top notch. Also the woman we worked with at concierge was wonderful and our housekeeper Gloria - just perfect! The food is wonderful, I'm not sure where the complaints come from here and I like good food! There were some dishes that weren't as good as others but still not horrible. The breakfasts are authentic and delicious every time. We loved the sushi, the guacamole and believe it or not one of the best hamburgers I've ever had, I think I had 3 of them and I don't normally eat hamburgers. There were so many options I didn't get a chance to try them all, sadly. The grounds were beautifully kept and someone was always working around the resort keeping everything up. The pool area was nice, well kept and always had plenty of room and great service especially when Vicente was working! The drinks were always good and served quickly. There is construction next door as everyone has mentioned. It wasn't noticeable to us and we actually liked getting to watch some of it going on. Our room was spacious and clean and always a great temperature. We loved sitting on our patio having coffee or drinks. It is a really easy walk to the Marina and there are plenty of areas to enjoy in town. I really can't find one bad thing to say about this resort except for the rumor I heard that it's being torn down. I would love to return and would definitely pick the Solmar again!

Room Tip: As others have said away from the construction is probably best. We were in a nice end room around...
2  Thank TrishaTim
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear customer from Seattle Washington;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Your thoughtful remarks are very helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience. It is our pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your holidays and our staff was top notch. I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon and pamper you as you deserve. Best regards!!