“Exceeded expectations!”

Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Santa Rosa, California
“Exceeded expectations!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I am very pleased with my choice to stay at the Solmar Resort during my trip to Cabo. I didn't really know what to expect other than to keep my expectations limited given how inexpensive it is and all inclusive. My husband and I stayed there at the end of April 2014 which was the perfect time to go. Spring break was over and school had not yet ended for summer. Perfect for an early 30's couple looking for R&R which was fulfilled by how the laid back atmosphere of the hotel. The hotel itself is quaint, beautifully designed but not over the top like the sister resort Grand Solmar. Be prepared to do a lot of walking on your trip because just getting around the hotel grounds required lots of travel. I was impressed with how clean and well maintained the room was even though the bathroom was a little outdated and funky. The maid service came and did an excellent job each time. We had a junior suite that overlooked the Pacific ocean and it was quite spacious. My biggest complaint about the room is the bathroom lighting was a little too low for us ladies applying makeup! Otherwise it was fine. Very comfy, soft bed. Good linens and clean towels daily.
I was surprised by the thunderous crashing of the waves on the Pacific side. I wasn't prepared for the intensity of the waves and I can definitely see why you are not allowed to swim on that side of the peninsula. The waves even caused our windows to shake at night! (Not in an annoying, intrusive way. I thought it was relaxing)
The staff members were wonderful. I must agree with previous posts that this is one of the friendliest resorts I've ever experienced. Everyone would greet, smile and they were all willing to make any accommodation I requested. My husband went deep sea fishing and caught tuna which Tejaban was more than willing to cook up for us no extra charge!
The drinks we decent. They certainly didn't water down the beverages, they just use less than stellar alcohol to make the drinks in the first place. I mostly stuck with beer so I was fine. My husband was obsessed with the Dirty Monkey drinks which I highly recommend.
Tejaban served delicious food for dinner al la carte; we were never disappointed after a meal or felt so stuffed usually following a buffet pig out. The breakfast, however, was something to write home about! Every morning, they do a fresh fruit bar with tons of ripe papaya and yogurt. They also make a veggie/fruit juice smoothie which was quite yummy. It tasted like apples, kale, celery and bananas. The machaca nortena, waffle, french toast and breakfast burrito are definite recommendations.
The pool side sushi place was good. I didn't order too much from them since we spent a lot of time out exploring the city during lunch time but we did get some sushi. I would recommend the fruit roll sushi--SO GOOD! I do agree with previous reviewers that the signing of the "check" is a little excessive since they do have record of what we order anyway.
There was mention of the construction noise in previous reviews, but I hardly noticed it. I knew it was going on, it just wasn't that loud. What was annoying was getting hounded for timeshare presentations. I think next time I will wear a sign that says "NO TIMESHARES!" They're just so difficult to avoid.
The hike to lover's beach is manageable however more difficult than I originally thought it would be. My husband and I hiked bare foot, which I would NOT recommend. You have to hike over two terrains to get to divorce/lover's beach. It's very worth it once you get there, but it was harder than I expected.
I think this was a lovely hotel and I would absolutely consider returning to this resort if I can get back down to Cabo!

1 Thank Shiloh F
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Ms. Shiloh from Santa Rosa CA.
Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to host you during your vacation in Cabo. We are pleased to know that we have exceeded your expectations and our personnel have provided you a warm and friendly service. It will be our pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the short future and pamper you as you deserve. Best regards!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've been all over the world, and I have to say this hotel had the friendliest staff I have ever seen. The hotel itself is beautiful. I personally really enjoyed the food at the restaurant. It wasn't buffet style like a lot of all inclusive resorts. Also, they DO NOT water down their drinks like some other resorts. Oh, and the bathtub! I'm a bit of a bathtub connoisseur, and this one met my expectations. It was huge! Room was very clean and ours had an ocean and pool view. When we first walked in, they had "welcome to solmar" decorated in coffee beans on our bed. How cute :) My husband and I went with another couple and we are all in our mid 20's. We drank margaritas, ate delicious sushi, and watched the sunset all from their lovely pool area. They had a fiesta night on sunday with dancers and live music. They didn't have a gym on site, but you were allowed to use the hotel next door's as well as their mini golf. The only thing is beach in front is NOT a swimmable beach. Not even for experienced swimmers. The waves are too gnarly and break too close to shore. My husband and I walked down the beach and hiked over a few cliffs to get to Lover's Beach, which probably only took us 10-15 minutes. There you can swim, but you have to deal with all the people and boats. Downtown is also walking distance, but if you're only there for a few days, then why leave?

If you are looking for relaxation with good food, drinks, and sunshine (all just steps away from the sand), then come here. Pretty awesome that it was only around $200 per night for everything. Most all inclusives are in the 400+ range. Also remember this is not a huge resort. It's very personal and relaxing, which is what we wanted.

3 Thank lilylovesb
Dear guest from Santa Barbara, California;
Thank you very much for your kind comments! It is a pleasure to know how describes your experience; “relaxation with good food, drinks and sunshine". Definitely you´ll find all this with us plus a friendly and cordial service. Please do not wait too much to come back and allow us to provide you an even better experience. Cordially; Luis A.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in January. The room was huge and we loved the traditional Mexican architecture. The service was outstanding and accommodating.

However, the food was not good. I ended up getting sick the second morning, and the rest of the trip was not the same. We tried ordering different things to give them the benefit of the doubt; steak, wings, breakfast fruit/yogurt, guacamole, ceviche, chicken fingers, a BLT - how can a BLT be so bad? The only good thing we ate there was the sushi. We were hoping to try more traditional Mexican food while in Mexico!

Needless to say, Solmar has turned us off to the all-inclusive packages. We had much better food in town.

I also want to note that they put us in the room closest to the renovations next door. They'd start drilling at 8 in the morning, even on Saturdays.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maggie W
Dear customer from Denver, Colorado;
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and rest. We are taking measures to ensure our staff full fills our food and beverage standards. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your suite and the outstanding and accommodating service from our personnel. You can be sure we’ll change your perception for good on your next visit. Cordially, Luis Alvarez and team.
Reviewed 5 May 2014

If you are looking for a budget vacation at an outdated resort with nothing going on, then the Solmar is for you.

My husband and I just spent 9 nights at the Solmar and I must say that there was nothing exceptional about this place. We enjoyed our vacation very much, but definitely did not come home with anything to rave about in regards to the resort, which left much to be desired. The photos make this place look a lot nicer than it truly is. I'd actually rate the resort a 2.5. We read many reviews and I'll I can think is that many of these people who were so thrilled with the resort must be easily pleased. Based on the photos and so many positive reviews, my expectations were much higher and certainly were not met.
The room was clean but very outdated (especially the bathroom), the food was decent (lacking variety and service was great, but the food took forever). There are two small pools (algae included) neither of which had anything going on - no activities, no music (except from the TV at the swim up bar which you could barely hear). We did head over to the sister resort, Playa Grande, a few days and were much more at home there. We are in our mid-30's, and while we do enjoy peace and quiet at night, we were looking for a little more fun and amenities and a different demographic than the Solmar had to offer.
Also, while I knew that swimming was off limits on the Pacific side, I figured I'd at least be able to put my feet in the ocean. However, the surf is so rough, that you would not even want to risk it. The walk to Medano beach was not bad though and you're a 10 minute (at most) walk away from the marina. You can also hike over the rocks to get to Divorce Beach and Lovers Beach.

We love Cabo and next time we'll spend more money and stay somewhere nicer with a little more going on.

3 Thank Amy D
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Amy D.;
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and rest. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your vacations very much and at least you had a clean suite, decent cuisine and great service from our staff. Usually people are escaping from the hustle and bustle and enjoy our exclusive privacy yet nightclubs are within a few minutes’ walk for those who want some action. You can be sure we´ll do our best to change your perception for good on your next visit. Cordially, Luis Alvarez GM.
Oakville, Manitoba
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was our first time to Cabo and we'd come back to the Solmar. We really liked this quiet resort. The food was good but could use a little more variety on the menu especially if you stay for a week.

1 Thank rdwhistler
Dear customer from Oakville, Manitoba;
We appreciate very much your visit and your comments. You can be sure we will be working on them in order to provide you an even better experience. Warm greetings from Cabo!!
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was the first time we have ever went to Mexico and we were more than pleased with the solmar! Upon arrival we got a upgrade to a penthouse suite, the rooms were large, beds comfortable, and service was unbeatable!
We spent most of our time walking around the town (which is about a 5-10 min walk from the hotel) and laying by the pool. All of the servers were great, and we just had a fabulous time drinking, eating (all their food was delicious!) and visiting with other guests. We will def be back!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Mcm2323
Dear customer from Seattle, Washington;
Thank you very much for having chosen our resort to spend your first visit to México. It is our pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your vacations. Please do not wait too much to come back and allow us to provide an even better experience. Best regards!!
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just have to write to tell everyone how fantastic our vacation was/is again here at Solmar. I cannot say enough about the Solmar. From the moment we arrived, we felt like we were special. Nicte-Xa de la Torre goes way beyond any expectation. She doesn't have "No, sorry can't do" in her vocabulary. She is so fantastic. The staff here from our wonderful housekeeper Zusana, to our dining staff, Tomas who sees to making sure we get what we need, beautiful Nancy, who always finds you the perfect seat for all our meals, amazing waiters, Jose Louis, Alejandro, Samuel, Daniel, Alsandro and Diego who brings our food, piping hot always smiling and singing and so many others. We still have a few more days here and I will miss the wonderful feeling here. So recommend for a wonderful time come to Solmar. The beach area is beautiful but not swimming in the water due to undertow, highly dangerous to go in but beautiful to look at. This is truly the Land's End so very private. My husband loves to fish and we come when it is not great fishing season, but always fun to try. We love the marina area and walk it daily and go into the town as well. Love mingling with the locals. The people here are very gracious. We have been coming here since 2005 and even though we have looked elsewhere, we always seem to return here.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views. The rooms up on the east end are a bit quieter than ones lower next...