“Classic and peaceful”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at the Solmar over fourth of July weekend. I loved that it was so peaceful and away from all the noise. You really do have the best of both worlds at this resort. I traveled with my 4 yr old and there aren't many children that come to this particular resort but that was okay. I had an awesome suite that overlooked the ocean. I woke up to the sound of waves clashing every morning. The staff was very helpful at times that i needed them. WiFi isn't included which was fine but when paying for it, it isn't the fastest either, just fyi. I made it out to Medano Beach one day and it made me thankful for staying at the Solmar. Lots and lots of people and noisy but I guess if that's what you're looking for you probably want to stay on that side. There is still construction going on and i knew this months before my trip. I emailed the staff ahead of time that due to traveling with a toddler, I could not be around the noise and they totally accommodated my needs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Selgirly15
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear customer;

Thank you for sharing your experience with others. It is rewarding for us to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and our staff and location have contributed to that. Thank you again for your visit we will be looking forward to your return. Warm greetings!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

It has a wonderful location,it is a walking distance to the Marina, little shops and Restaurants, it has a shuttle to sister facilities Playa Grande (which is outstanding), is located in a very beautiful beach that you can NOT swim in!!! it is just gorgeously dangerous and marvelous! the waves crash with such intensity that the room sliding door and windows rattled all night long, bring ear plugs (seriously).
I want to thank all the personnel that was nice to us, the resort is very good, Solmar Resorts reminds us to the ones back in the 80's, the maids are pretty good trying to make your stay as clean as possible, very committed to their work, they keep the room super tidy and the beds are made/ready when you are ready. Bathrooms super clean and the towels always clean even when you try to re use them as the sign says.

Valet boys super attentive and polite, they even help if you need a little ride closer to the lobby or room.
The pool is ok, is not super huge like the one at Playa Grande but still pretty relaxing, there is another little one close to the tower J which is the tower we stayed in. The jacuzzi always relaxing.

The construction on Solmar Resort side minimized before the last day we stayed in (around July 10th), the last day they opened the motor lobby and it was finally quiet. After 5 days of loud construction noise our girls could sleep well. Air conditioning gets a little loud too but it might help your sleep if you find the rhythm (consider ear plugs).

Just a few incidents: (You might stop here if don't want to read mostly little annoying complaints)

1.- We had a reservation through RCI at the Solmar Resorts, as we arrived we gave our names and show reservation and we were directed to the Grand Solmar which is the nicest in the complex, of course it was a mistake so we were escorted back to were we belonged. That's fine, is what we paid for.

2.- One of the sales representatives that sells/offers timeshares or whatever, told us in an introductory speech as soon as we checked in, that we were allowed to use all the pools in the complex (we were pretty sure is what she said since she circled those on a map) to our surprise we were asked out the Grand Solmar swimming pool after an argument between my husband and the manager. Embarrasing but ok, we left. Lesson learned: MAKE SURE AND ASK AGAIN WHAT IS WHAT YOU ARE GETTING.

3. After going and enjoying breakfast and a timeshare offer/speech at Grand Solmar we were directed to a little office where more offers were waiting for us, we were so innocents, there was a trip to another hotel with more offers, again free breakfast more speech and swimming pools that we could use but, that was not the problem, get ready:
The representative from Villa del Palmar Hotel, Monica, was going to meet us at the lobby to escort us to that place and do whatever they do.The usual thing to do is to go to the lobby and ask, right? So we did do that, there was this girl, I don't have her name but curly hair pony tail kind of style, where do we meet this person? we asked. She took the phone, waited, she told us that person (Villa del Palmar Rep Monica) is not there and that there was no way taxis could get to us from that place, that we we had to WALK OUT from Solmar and take a taxi OUTSIDE the resort. My husband was, wait a minute!!! read this "..." (a note saying we had to wait at the Solmar lobby at 8:20 am so we could be taken from/to). Again curly haired ponytail lady said, YOU WILL HAVE TO WALK OUTSIDE the Resort and get a taxi from there. My husband then asked why do we have to walk?? if the note says specifically what to do? (I guess our mistake was to ask) and he was interrupted by her repeating the same, then, of course my husband couldn't believe it, he raised his voice and ask to please not to be interrupted and this boy Arturo intervenes, I tried to tell him to settle down speaking spanish and he ends up calling my husband rude and he even said my husband was disrespecting the lady. He only raised (not yelled as Arturo argued) his voice after being interrupted. One thing is trying to get help from someone that has no clue, it is okay to say "I have no information" or even "I don't know" than making up stories. Another thing is being attacked by the personal you were trying to get help from. Arturo forced apology wasn't accepted. I work with costumers too, sometimes (and this is not the case) you just have to take a deep breath and try to help the costumer even in a difficult situation, pride is not always the best allied in this case.

4. To end and close this long review. Our last day enjoying the facilities we were allowed to, just about to visit "Playa Grande" swimming pools after a beautiful beach day, my sister lives in Cabo San Lucas and they were visiting us in the Resort, it wasn't the first time for them visiting us and even going with us to the Playa Grande pools which I of course made sure there wasn't going to be a problem if they come and visit, well, we were denied the entrance to Playa Grande, neither she or u were allowed the entrance, the guy at the entrance told us we had to speak with the manager on duty and gave us her name "Ana Laura", we specifically told him we were staying at Solmar at room 2273 and that we were allowed there. He denied us, we had to go and park at Solmar, take the shuttle after speaking with our manager on duty which of course was very nice to us.

Lastly, we had an average good experience but it will be difficult to choose to stay there again, I would highly recommend with average warnings though.

Thankfully,

Teresa Morrison and family.
Those from the 2273

Room Tip: If you get the tower J make sure the construction noise is not going to be a bother, room 2273 Air c...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tereteran

Dear customer from San Diego California;

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I really apologize due to the incidents you have experienced with the time share personnel. I have spoken with the time share director in order to be as clear as possible with our customers and avoid any misunderstandings. By the other side, it is rewarding to read that your experience with our service staff was better than expected and the location of the resort was convenient for you. Thank you again for your visit, it will be my pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the short future and provide you an even better experience. Best regards!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Not that I had low expectations, but given that this is one of the more affordable all-inclusive resorts, Solmar really impressed me. Our suite was charming and very spacious, the food was delicious and the overall ambiance was relaxing yet fun. Breakfast was probably our favorite meal and our waiter, Jose Luis, was so kind and kept us laughing. Octavio, one of the bartenders, was also very helpful.

The location is great if you don't want to be smack in the middle of the touristy areas. Still, the marina and nightlife were just a 20 minute walk which was convenient.

The only minor complaints I had were that 1) not all of the staff were as friendly and helpful as they could have been (particularly the pool wait staff) and 2) our room service order arrived late and cold.

Other than that, we had a great time and will be coming back again!

Room Tip: We stayed in building E which faces the pool and ocean. However, the waves can get so rough at night...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear customer from Los Angeles, California;

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others. We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your vacations and we have exceeded your expectations. I am working with my staff to ensure our customers receive the same friendly and professional service all over the resort as Luis and Octavio have provided you. Please do not wait too long to come back and allow us to pamper as you deserve. Warm greetings from Cabo!!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at the original Solmar All Inclusive June 22-25. Our check-in was friendly and efficient. The time share presentation was quick and we were not pressured in any way when we declined. We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary there. The Solmar is the classic Mexico resort. The grounds are immaculate. When we entered our room we discovered a chilled bottle of champagne and a beautiful swan display with towels and rose petals on our bed. The room was extremely clean, and we loved the spacious bathroom. The bed was very comfortable, and the AC worked very well (the AC was a little noisy unless it was on high).The breakfast menu was adequate and our food was excellent as was the service. We ate dinner there one night, but felt the dinner menu was lacking in choices. We did not have to wait long for our check as others have mentioned previously. We were disappointed in the amount of seating at the main pool area. We were unable to find a seat and asked to have lounge chairs from the upper pool brought down as there was adequate space for more seating. Our request was declined and were told to use the upper pool. On that day the upper pool bar was closed and there was no music playing. This would have been very troublesome to us had we stayed at the resort longer. There seems to be a lot of extra space for additional lounge chairs at the main pool and I would suggest the management add more as the main pool is nicer and near the restaurants. There is construction, but it was at the front of the resort during our stay, and we did not hear it in our room. Overall, we had an enjoyable stay at the Solmar and would stay there again as well as recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear customer from Riverside, California;

Thank you very much for choosing our resort to celebrate your wedding anniversary, congratulations! Thank you for your comments on the dinner menu and lounge chairs, I'm working on it. Moreover, we are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your holidays and the facilities from the Mexican style resort as well as our cuisine and service from our staff. Be assured it will be a pleasure to host you again on your next visit to Cabo and provide unforgettable experiences. Best regards!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The original Solmar All Inclusive(as opposed to the Solmar Suites) is a taste of Old Mexico. It has the charm that many of the newer chrome, glass and marble hotels just don't have. The hotel is well located within walking distance of town and the marina, and the food and service just can't be beat, especially for the price. It's on a great Pacific-side beach, but stay out of the water (dangerous waves and undertow). Everything is meticulously kept. The entire facility looks like it was built yesterday. We plan to return over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an oceanview room. Most rooms do have a nice view, but some have limited views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear customer from Houston, Texas;
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. It is rewarding for us to read that you have enjoyed your vacations. Certainly the resort is located in a privileged location; on a secluded beach overlooking the Pacific Ocean and just a few minutes walking to down town area for those whom want to enjoy shopping or night life. It will be our pleasure to greet you here again on Thanksgiving as our guest again and accommodate you in everything you might desire. Best regards!!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Solmar was a wonderful place to spend the holiday weekend! It a smaller resort which makes the experience more personal and quiet. If you want a place with 10+ pools and several restaurants, this place may not be for you. There are two pools and one main restaurant and snack options throughout the day. We did the all inclusive package, which is highly recommended. They did 2 theme nights during the 4 days that we were there and had great entertainment and food. The staff are extremely friendly and accommodating. I contacted the resort twice via email because of travel delays and both times they responded promptly and assisted me in accommodating my travel changes. The rooms are large and clean and very comfortable. The resort is on the beach so the views are spectacular! This was the perfect place to unplug, relax and enjoy the beautiful city of Cabo!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mariza H

Dear customer from Arlington, Virginia;
We appreciate very much your kindly comments; it is our pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your holidays. Thank you for recommend our A.I. program and the amenities from the resort. Our cordial staff and I will be looking forward to your next visit, please be assured we will do our best to provide you an even better experience. Best regards!!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed at Solmar All Inclusive June 28-July 5. Two weeks before arrival I emailed to let them know of my 30th Anniversary. When we arrived they upgraded our room to a 1 bedroom suite
with 2 full bath and two balconies. The room was lovely with an outstanding view of the main pool and ocean. The room was decorated with rose pedals on the floor leading to the bedroom. The bed was covered in rose pedals in the shape of a huge heart. Champain was on ice with glases sitting for our use. I was so impressed with their thoughtfulness I was left
speachless. I was in room 2221. The aircon was very cold, the refridge was very cold and water pressure was great. I thought the rooms were lovely although the bathrooms were a little dated. It didn't bother me though as it had a real mediterranean feel to it. I heard no construction noise at all. I like smaller resorts so this place fit within in my comfort zone. I found the service to be impeccable! We chose the quiet pool more often than the main pool and found the service to be excellent. The food was excellent!! Loved the idea of can beer vs draft and a can of cola vs fountain. Never had a problem with ordering more than six beers at a time or whatever needed at once. We ran a tab throughout the day so only had to sign ticket once vs each order. We did feel the need to tip a lot more than your average all inclusive due to meal being cooked to order, prices being on the ticket and the impecable service. We stocked our own refridge everyday with our order from the pool or snack bar. Easy to do considering everything was right there. We filled my beach bag with beer, water or cola everyday. I can't say enough good about this resort. They made my anniversary memorable and this vacation cherished. I hate to think that this little gem wil soon be gone by the giants surrounding it. Hopefully I'll make it back before it's gone. This was my first trip to Cabo and words or pictures cannot give it justice. I was awe struck by it's rugged beauty.

Room Tip: Ask for room 2221 for excellent view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cherrieluvmx

Dear customer from Cincinnati, Ohio;

Thank you very much for your kindly words. It was an honor to be your host on your first trip to Cabo and in such special celebration. I have shared your comments with all the team so it inspire us to work and exceed our customer expectations. Please do not wait too long to come back and allow us to pamper you as you deserve. Warm greetings from Cabo!!