“A relaxing massage”

Solmar Resort
Ranked #28 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“A relaxing massage”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The spa concierge, Sayda, was very polite and friendly in offering spa services to my partner and I while we enjoyed the warm sun of Cabo San Lucas. Sandy and Anabel, our masseuses, relaxed the tension out of our bodies, respectively, with skill and expertise. We were granted our choice scent from a diverse collection of aromatics to add to the experience. I would highly recommend getting a massage if you are willing to splurge while you are on vacation.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear customer;

We appreciate very much your kindly comments. It is our pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your spa treatment and the warm and professional service from our therapist and concierge. Please do not wait too long to come back and allow us to pamper you again as you deserve. Warm greetings!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Pros

Food is great
Rooms are spacious
Location is great - ocean views

Cons

Staff expect tips up front, especially at the pool bar. If you don't tip up front, they don't even look at you if you are waiting at the bar. This is a disgrace. I tip if the service is great. The front desk staff were offensively rude. They were snappy in answering questions. Horrendous behaviour to say the least.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Giventofly84
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear customer;
Thank you for sharing your experience with others. Please accept my apology due the experience of service you are manifesting. I have met with my team and measures have been taken in regards. By the other side I am glad you have enjoyed our cuisine and the Resort amenities, certainly our secluded location can´t be better. It will be my pleasure to have the opportunity to greet you here again as our customer and provide you an even better experience. Warm Regards!
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at the Solmar over fourth of July weekend. I loved that it was so peaceful and away from all the noise. You really do have the best of both worlds at this resort. I traveled with my 4 yr old and there aren't many children that come to this particular resort but that was okay. I had an awesome suite that overlooked the ocean. I woke up to the sound of waves clashing every morning. The staff was very helpful at times that i needed them. WiFi isn't included which was fine but when paying for it, it isn't the fastest either, just fyi. I made it out to Medano Beach one day and it made me thankful for staying at the Solmar. Lots and lots of people and noisy but I guess if that's what you're looking for you probably want to stay on that side. There is still construction going on and i knew this months before my trip. I emailed the staff ahead of time that due to traveling with a toddler, I could not be around the noise and they totally accommodated my needs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Selgirly15
Dear customer;

Thank you for sharing your experience with others. It is rewarding for us to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and our staff and location have contributed to that. Thank you again for your visit we will be looking forward to your return. Warm greetings!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 July 2014

It has a wonderful location,it is a walking distance to the Marina, little shops and Restaurants, it has a shuttle to sister facilities Playa Grande (which is outstanding), is located in a very beautiful beach that you can NOT swim in!!! it is just gorgeously dangerous and marvelous! the waves crash with such intensity that the room sliding door and windows rattled all night long, bring ear plugs (seriously).
I want to thank all the personnel that was nice to us, the resort is very good, Solmar Resorts reminds us to the ones back in the 80's, the maids are pretty good trying to make your stay as clean as possible, very committed to their work, they keep the room super tidy and the beds are made/ready when you are ready. Bathrooms super clean and the towels always clean even when you try to re use them as the sign says.

Valet boys super attentive and polite, they even help if you need a little ride closer to the lobby or room.
The pool is ok, is not super huge like the one at Playa Grande but still pretty relaxing, there is another little one close to the tower J which is the tower we stayed in. The jacuzzi always relaxing.

The construction on Solmar Resort side minimized before the last day we stayed in (around July 10th), the last day they opened the motor lobby and it was finally quiet. After 5 days of loud construction noise our girls could sleep well. Air conditioning gets a little loud too but it might help your sleep if you find the rhythm (consider ear plugs).

Just a few incidents: (You might stop here if don't want to read mostly little annoying complaints)

1.- We had a reservation through RCI at the Solmar Resorts, as we arrived we gave our names and show reservation and we were directed to the Grand Solmar which is the nicest in the complex, of course it was a mistake so we were escorted back to were we belonged. That's fine, is what we paid for.

2.- One of the sales representatives that sells/offers timeshares or whatever, told us in an introductory speech as soon as we checked in, that we were allowed to use all the pools in the complex (we were pretty sure is what she said since she circled those on a map) to our surprise we were asked out the Grand Solmar swimming pool after an argument between my husband and the manager. Embarrasing but ok, we left. Lesson learned: MAKE SURE AND ASK AGAIN WHAT IS WHAT YOU ARE GETTING.

3. After going and enjoying breakfast and a timeshare offer/speech at Grand Solmar we were directed to a little office where more offers were waiting for us, we were so innocents, there was a trip to another hotel with more offers, again free breakfast more speech and swimming pools that we could use but, that was not the problem, get ready:
The representative from Villa del Palmar Hotel, Monica, was going to meet us at the lobby to escort us to that place and do whatever they do.The usual thing to do is to go to the lobby and ask, right? So we did do that, there was this girl, I don't have her name but curly hair pony tail kind of style, where do we meet this person? we asked. She took the phone, waited, she told us that person (Villa del Palmar Rep Monica) is not there and that there was no way taxis could get to us from that place, that we we had to WALK OUT from Solmar and take a taxi OUTSIDE the resort. My husband was, wait a minute!!! read this "..." (a note saying we had to wait at the Solmar lobby at 8:20 am so we could be taken from/to). Again curly haired ponytail lady said, YOU WILL HAVE TO WALK OUTSIDE the Resort and get a taxi from there. My husband then asked why do we have to walk?? if the note says specifically what to do? (I guess our mistake was to ask) and he was interrupted by her repeating the same, then, of course my husband couldn't believe it, he raised his voice and ask to please not to be interrupted and this boy Arturo intervenes, I tried to tell him to settle down speaking spanish and he ends up calling my husband rude and he even said my husband was disrespecting the lady. He only raised (not yelled as Arturo argued) his voice after being interrupted. One thing is trying to get help from someone that has no clue, it is okay to say "I have no information" or even "I don't know" than making up stories. Another thing is being attacked by the personal you were trying to get help from. Arturo forced apology wasn't accepted. I work with costumers too, sometimes (and this is not the case) you just have to take a deep breath and try to help the costumer even in a difficult situation, pride is not always the best allied in this case.

4. To end and close this long review. Our last day enjoying the facilities we were allowed to, just about to visit "Playa Grande" swimming pools after a beautiful beach day, my sister lives in Cabo San Lucas and they were visiting us in the Resort, it wasn't the first time for them visiting us and even going with us to the Playa Grande pools which I of course made sure there wasn't going to be a problem if they come and visit, well, we were denied the entrance to Playa Grande, neither she or u were allowed the entrance, the guy at the entrance told us we had to speak with the manager on duty and gave us her name "Ana Laura", we specifically told him we were staying at Solmar at room 2273 and that we were allowed there. He denied us, we had to go and park at Solmar, take the shuttle after speaking with our manager on duty which of course was very nice to us.

Lastly, we had an average good experience but it will be difficult to choose to stay there again, I would highly recommend with average warnings though.

Thankfully,

Teresa Morrison and family.
Those from the 2273

Room Tip: If you get the tower J make sure the construction noise is not going to be a bother, room 2273 Air c...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tereteran
Dear customer from San Diego California;

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I really apologize due to the incidents you have experienced with the time share personnel. I have spoken with the time share director in order to be as clear as possible with our customers and avoid any misunderstandings. By the other side, it is rewarding to read that your experience with our service staff was better than expected and the location of the resort was convenient for you. Thank you again for your visit, it will be my pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the short future and provide you an even better experience. Best regards!
Los Angeles
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Not that I had low expectations, but given that this is one of the more affordable all-inclusive resorts, Solmar really impressed me. Our suite was charming and very spacious, the food was delicious and the overall ambiance was relaxing yet fun. Breakfast was probably our favorite meal and our waiter, Jose Luis, was so kind and kept us laughing. Octavio, one of the bartenders, was also very helpful.

The location is great if you don't want to be smack in the middle of the touristy areas. Still, the marina and nightlife were just a 20 minute walk which was convenient.

The only minor complaints I had were that 1) not all of the staff were as friendly and helpful as they could have been (particularly the pool wait staff) and 2) our room service order arrived late and cold.

Other than that, we had a great time and will be coming back again!

Room Tip: We stayed in building E which faces the pool and ocean. However, the waves can get so rough at night...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear customer from Los Angeles, California;

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others. We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your vacations and we have exceeded your expectations. I am working with my staff to ensure our customers receive the same friendly and professional service all over the resort as Luis and Octavio have provided you. Please do not wait too long to come back and allow us to pamper as you deserve. Warm greetings from Cabo!!
Riverside, California
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at the original Solmar All Inclusive June 22-25. Our check-in was friendly and efficient. The time share presentation was quick and we were not pressured in any way when we declined. We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary there. The Solmar is the classic Mexico resort. The grounds are immaculate. When we entered our room we discovered a chilled bottle of champagne and a beautiful swan display with towels and rose petals on our bed. The room was extremely clean, and we loved the spacious bathroom. The bed was very comfortable, and the AC worked very well (the AC was a little noisy unless it was on high).The breakfast menu was adequate and our food was excellent as was the service. We ate dinner there one night, but felt the dinner menu was lacking in choices. We did not have to wait long for our check as others have mentioned previously. We were disappointed in the amount of seating at the main pool area. We were unable to find a seat and asked to have lounge chairs from the upper pool brought down as there was adequate space for more seating. Our request was declined and were told to use the upper pool. On that day the upper pool bar was closed and there was no music playing. This would have been very troublesome to us had we stayed at the resort longer. There seems to be a lot of extra space for additional lounge chairs at the main pool and I would suggest the management add more as the main pool is nicer and near the restaurants. There is construction, but it was at the front of the resort during our stay, and we did not hear it in our room. Overall, we had an enjoyable stay at the Solmar and would stay there again as well as recommend it to friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear customer from Riverside, California;

Thank you very much for choosing our resort to celebrate your wedding anniversary, congratulations! Thank you for your comments on the dinner menu and lounge chairs, I'm working on it. Moreover, we are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your holidays and the facilities from the Mexican style resort as well as our cuisine and service from our staff. Be assured it will be a pleasure to host you again on your next visit to Cabo and provide unforgettable experiences. Best regards!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The original Solmar All Inclusive(as opposed to the Solmar Suites) is a taste of Old Mexico. It has the charm that many of the newer chrome, glass and marble hotels just don't have. The hotel is well located within walking distance of town and the marina, and the food and service just can't be beat, especially for the price. It's on a great Pacific-side beach, but stay out of the water (dangerous waves and undertow). Everything is meticulously kept. The entire facility looks like it was built yesterday. We plan to return over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an oceanview room. Most rooms do have a nice view, but some have limited views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear customer from Houston, Texas;
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. It is rewarding for us to read that you have enjoyed your vacations. Certainly the resort is located in a privileged location; on a secluded beach overlooking the Pacific Ocean and just a few minutes walking to down town area for those whom want to enjoy shopping or night life. It will be our pleasure to greet you here again on Thanksgiving as our guest again and accommodate you in everything you might desire. Best regards!!