A frend of mine has a timeshare at Solmar and I went in his place this year. I like funky places (as opposed to big chains) so I liked the feel of this place. The rooms were immaculate and people were always cleaning and taking care of the grounds.
While I was there, no restaurants were open - you could go to the bar and order from the menus, however. The service was slooooooow - even for Mexico. I stopped at Playa Grande on my way back from town one day to have breakfast and the food there was excellent - the service was a little more timely as well. If you need to pick up anything you've forgotten, I really recommend going over to Playa Grande to their gift shop. It has a much bigger and better selection than the one at Solmar.
I read reports that between the recession and the swine flu scare tourism was down 38% during the time I visited. On my last day there one of the cruise ships finally let people come into Cabo.
Maybe the slow tourism explains how cut-throat the time-share people were. You are pretty much required to attend a "presentation" for the resort that will go up to replace what is now Solmar (not slated for completion til 2011) and while my rep was great, the "closers" they send in after you say no are rude and unprofessional. The guy looked me up and down and said dismissively, "This is not for you." Idiot. He has no idea how many people I will tell about his attitude.
I attended another presentation at Villa del Palmar and they were polite and professional, even after I said no.
If you like quieter places, you will probably like Solmar. It kind of sucks not to be able to touch the water (dangerous undertow) but the crash of the waves is great to fall asleep to at night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This intimate Oceanfront Resort is blessed by one of the most enchanting and romantic locations in Baja California. Granite cliffs hide the property from the outside world, yet the sights and sounds of Cabo San Lucas are but a 10 minute stroll away. You can spread your towel on the white sands of Solmar beach and soak up the sun in private comfort, grab a snorkel, a fishing pole or chose from a long list of other activities the Pacific Ocean has to offer, or shop, dine, then dance the night away at one of the many hotspots in Cabo San Lucas. Solmar Resort truly offers the best of both of worlds - unmatched privacy in an extraordinary natural setting. In every sense, it is the most Cabo Resort in Cabo San Lucas. Like all properties in the Solmar Hotel & Resort collection, the Solmar Resort is exclusively suites with kitchen facilities, private balconies, marble floors, granite countertops and fine linens. Solmar Resort offers the option of Bed & Breakfast plan and all inclusive package as well. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, HRS, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Solmar Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Solmar All Inclusive Resort And Beach Club
- Solmar Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Cabo San Lucas Solmar Hotel
- Solmar Cabo San Lucas
- Solmar Resort Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, Mexico