“Quiet and Laid-back”

Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Texas
“Quiet and Laid-back”
Reviewed 21 May 2009

A frend of mine has a timeshare at Solmar and I went in his place this year. I like funky places (as opposed to big chains) so I liked the feel of this place. The rooms were immaculate and people were always cleaning and taking care of the grounds.

While I was there, no restaurants were open - you could go to the bar and order from the menus, however. The service was slooooooow - even for Mexico. I stopped at Playa Grande on my way back from town one day to have breakfast and the food there was excellent - the service was a little more timely as well. If you need to pick up anything you've forgotten, I really recommend going over to Playa Grande to their gift shop. It has a much bigger and better selection than the one at Solmar.

I read reports that between the recession and the swine flu scare tourism was down 38% during the time I visited. On my last day there one of the cruise ships finally let people come into Cabo.

Maybe the slow tourism explains how cut-throat the time-share people were. You are pretty much required to attend a "presentation" for the resort that will go up to replace what is now Solmar (not slated for completion til 2011) and while my rep was great, the "closers" they send in after you say no are rude and unprofessional. The guy looked me up and down and said dismissively, "This is not for you." Idiot. He has no idea how many people I will tell about his attitude.

I attended another presentation at Villa del Palmar and they were polite and professional, even after I said no.

If you like quieter places, you will probably like Solmar. It kind of sucks not to be able to touch the water (dangerous undertow) but the crash of the waves is great to fall asleep to at night.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank DakotaninTX

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We loved our stay at Solmar. We had a room just on the beach with the best view you can imagine. The view of the sunset was amazing. Every night we took out our camera's, Solmar is such a relaxed place with a wonderful ambiance. The setting with the rocks is stunning. We liked the relaxed, laid back atmosphere and the intimacy of the hotel after the huge and crowded Pueblo Bonito resort. The room was well maintained and not as outdated as some people suggest, and with a setting right on the beach, you can't go wrong. The service and housekeeping were great. We can't say anything negative about the resort except the timeshare sales an the Playa Grande resort which was a laugh. An unexperienced salesman, a bad breakfast and some silly discount coupons as a present. During our stay we heard that Solmar will be turned down and rebuild into a more modern resort. We fear for the worse but keep our fingers crossed: let's hope it won't be another Playa Grande or another Pueblo Bonito. We were very lucky to have stayed in the old Solmar.

4 Thank Margariet
Santa Cruz
Reviewed 5 May 2009

We stayed at solmar in november. We arrived and they let us know that our ocean view room wasnt ready. They put us in a different room, and moved us to the ocean view room the next day. This was a bit of a hastle, but they moved all of the luggage and were very apologetic, so no big deal. The hotel is definetly dated, so dont think you are staying at the top of the line, newest place in Cabo. This actually became our favorite part of the place. You are allowed to use the amenities of solmars sister resort, playa grande, which we did. We checked out the pool, which was gorgeous, but after a little bit we couldnt wait to return to our cozy pool at solmar. The staff was incredible. The concierge, bartenders and event coordinators were all top of the line. If these guys didnt love their jobs, they could have fooled me. The pool was quiet, the beach was quiet, the whole hotel was quiet, which is refreshing considering Cabo is such a crazy place. It was always so nice to return to solmar after walking around town, it just fealt like you were back home. In a city where everyone is trying to sell you a time share, drugs, booze, or a trip some where, a quiet hotel is key. We loved it, and hopefully will be back soon.

Nashville
Reviewed 25 April 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Solmar. I had planned to go back for my honeymoon. But I have recently found out about all the renovating they are doing and what the ultimate outcome will be and I no longer see the beautiful, funky little hotel I stayed at and had a great time at. The hotel is going to become an overbearing and materialistic hotel that will much resemble its sister hotel The Playa Grande. Here is what I am talking about:

Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 22 April 2009

First I want to say that Solmar was wonderful. I would stay there again and again. Our room was older but very clean. The staff was excellent, helpful and accomidating.
I loved the fact that it was not crowded. Although you could not swim at the beach it was breathe taking, I loved you could hear the surf from the room. There was alot of construction going on but that means bigger and better.
It was very close to town and they would gladly shuttle you back and forth from Solmar to Playa Grande. We went through the time share which included a free breakfast which was awesome, and yes I bought one..lol. We also received $150.00 coupon for food and drink and 4 excursions.We went snorkling, ATV riding, parasailing, and a midnight cruise, all for free!!! They had a Fiesta night which was wonderful that included buffet, drinks and entertainment ($28.00 a person) which was well worth it.
If your looking for a great get away I would recommend it!! Especially during March and April before it gets to crowded. I loved how exclusive it felt there.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Robbinsville, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 March 2009

When we arrived at SolMar we were shown to our room with no view. The overall decor was dark and drab. The two double beds were hard as rocks and left little room to walk around. After dinner we returned to find a very large cockroach sharing our room with us.
The next morning we asked to be moved to another room. After not hearing back from the front desk we moved to the Me Hotel for the remaining three night- much more our scene.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank desnudouno
england
Reviewed 10 March 2009

we had a lovely time at the solmar. we went at i think the most humid time of year so were grateful for the air con in our room. we had a beach front room and it was lovely. we had nothing to complain about. even the timeshare people left us alone, apart from having to run the gauntlet through the airport to avoid them. the location was beautiful as it was on an amazing beach but it was a bit of a walk into town. the sushi at the pool bar was gorgeous and the service around the pool which was where we spent most of our time was very good. i would return without a doubt.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple